Drywall patio ceilings

builtright3

California Question

I have a customer that wants to do drywall with a hand texture on his patio ceiling. I have seen it done in Parker Arizona on a river house but not much out here in California. Is that a no no or is it ok to do?

The cover for the patio is actually the second floor above it.

This is not my design

Capture.thumb.PNG.7667b309b9f9841f4e33773711a1be45.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.e866934721a4525cdaeba1471bdc4bc7.PNG

Drywall and frost are a big problem.  Not recommended where below freezing temperatures may last for hours or even days.  DenseGlass (as suggested by Eric) works if it is covered with stucco over a water barrier.  Be sure to check with your local building department to ensure code compliance. 

1 hour ago, builtright3 said:

California Question

I have a customer that wants to do drywall with a hand texture on his patio ceiling. I have seen it done in Parker Arizona on a river house but not much out here in California. Is that a no no or is it ok to do?

The cover for the patio is actually the second floor above it.

Curious what kind of "Texture"? ..........  as why not use Plywood and an Acrylic Stucco System?

M.

45 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Curious what kind of "Texture"? ..........  as why not use Plywood and an Acrylic Stucco System?

M.

I'm suggesting other finishes because I'm not a fan of doing drywall on the outside. The reason would be that its the least expensive way to go. I'm suggesting to do a nice 1x8 T&G painted or stained.

Like this job I just did. This is IPE wood so I would suggest pine because it is a lot less cost.

628205952_2018-11-2010_27.09-1.thumb.jpg.1b76b85b0a3a97d77680ce4436cf81f0.jpg

6 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I'm suggesting other finishes because I'm not a fan of doing drywall on the outside. The reason would be that its the least expensive way to go. I'm suggesting to do a nice 1x8 T&G painted or stained.

Like this job I just did. This is IPE wood so I would suggest pine because it is a lot less cost.

628205952_2018-11-2010_27.09-1.thumb.jpg.1b76b85b0a3a97d77680ce4436cf81f0.jpg

Well no doubt the Pine T&G or perhaps a Cedar T&G would be much nicer , but I would use G1S Ply and some 1/2x 1 1/2 battens over joints etc to save some money if needed and give it a "panelled" look, perhaps a couple of fake Beams in Cedar too, before I used drywall and texture outdoors.... Texture should not go anywhere near Drywall especially Ceilings, but perhaps that is just me :)

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Well no doubt the Pine T&G or perhaps a Cedar T&G would be much nicer , but I would use G1S Ply and some 1/2x 1 1/2 battens over joints etc to save some money if needed and give it a "panelled" look, perhaps a couple of fake Beams in Cedar too, before I used drywall and texture outdoors.... Texture should not go anywhere near Drywall especially Ceilings, but perhaps that is just me :)

I'm sorry,

You must be misunderstanding me on the type of texture. I'm just says standard drywall with joint compound that you would do on the interior. Not "Tex Coat".

Anyway it really doesn't matter we got off my original question. I have never used drywall on the exterior before as a finish product even if it is a porch covered ceiling.

My question is; has anyone ever seen it before being used in this application? It is on the plans that i'm building a house on and I'm skeptical but the city approved it so maybe it will be fine.

34 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Anyway it really doesn't matter we got off my original question. I have never used drywall on the exterior before as a finish product even if it is a porch covered ceiling.

My question is; has anyone ever seen it before being used in this application? It is on the plans that i'm building a house on and I'm skeptical but the city approved it so maybe it will be fine.

I haven't personally used it, but I know its actually required on the soffits for fireproofing in some areas when houses are too close to the property line.  And I know I have several friend and acquaintances in the drywall industry who have done TONS of exterior drywall in Washington and Hawaii...ecven just for aesthetics.  So yes, it is done, and its not all that uncommon. 

40 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I'm sorry,

You must be misunderstanding me on the type of texture. I'm just says standard drywall with joint compound that you would do on the interior. Not "Tex Coat".

Yes I thought it was "Textured Drywall" , hence using acyrlic stucco instead to create the Texture , especially since I thought the house was Stuccoed already from the pic.

The drywall isn't for Fire Control being in Cali is it?  ie the absolute barest minimum acceptable surface to the City....

*** ahh I see Michael just posted my same thought too***

Yes fire rating is required. Even if I did a wood ceiling I would have to still do the 5/8 type X drywall first with fire-tape. So that's why its a lot less expensive just to put a finish on the drywall and be done with it. And I could still do baton strips or Faux beams to dress it up if they want.

Thank guy's that helped a lot!

2 hours ago, builtright3 said:

Ya and i believe James-Hardie backer has the fire rating so we kill two birds with one stone. Unless I'm wrong?

HardiBacker is a different Product , design specifically for Tile installations , however I believe most Hardi Products can be used in 1 hr Firewall Assemblies so I'd assume Ceilings would be similar but maybe call their 1-800 No# tomorrow. they do have some Special listings for Fire in Cali. and some 1 hr wall assemblies on the website below.

https://www.jameshardiepros.com/install-and-tech-docs/searchresults?search=Fire Design Listing

M.