winder stair and railings

EconBlueprints

Problem 1.  My stairs do not contract as they should, and the top and bottom inboard ends show up as crooked.

Problem 2.  I want the railing balustrades to show up in plan view, but it seems as if I have run out of boxes to check to get them to show up.

The plan is attached, items are circled and text is in red.

Thanks,

Lane

2019-01-22_359_Ridgewood_Plan_File.plan

I'm not sure Chief has ever been able to 'break' the stairs around a wall like that. You'll probably need to pull the stairs over the wall, and then use a p-solid to show the full height portion of the wall. You can move the full height portion of the wall to display in draw order 21 to cover the stairs in plan view. Also, uncheck winders. And no "railing at wall" on the left.

2 hours ago, EconBlueprints said:

Problem 1.  My stairs do not contract as they should, and the top and bottom inboard ends show up as crooked.

Problem 2.  I want the railing balustrades to show up in plan view, but it seems as if I have run out of boxes to check to get them to show up.

The plan is attached, items are circled and text is in red.

Thanks,

Lane

2019-01-22_359_Ridgewood_Plan_File.plan

With these type of situations the best proven method at this stage is to use 2 overlapping , by 1 tread staircases ,

so the can be different Widths at the bottom (to out side of wall) and top ( in between Walls ).

It is admittedly a bit tricky/finicky , and it's best to draw your Own railing for the bottom set it seems , it needs to be wholly on the stair though.

One small quirk is that you don't get Base at the bottom of the Stair Wall , so either use the Room Molding Poly to correct that or a P-solid etc.

the Electrical for the Staircase is in the wrong locations ..i marked them in the pics for moving... not sure how you got one in the Window though :)

image.thumb.png.ce7af329a8a3e293cb400e36d89bfde6.png

image.thumb.png.06cf35fdedeafc21d5e1bea7ddfe1ad0.png

image.thumb.png.aeeaaff8860d2fd8419ee255b269ec3c.png

image.thumb.png.d039d106a29a24a045aaa1122704a9bb.png

30 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

With these type of situations the best proven method at this stage is to use 2 overlapping , by 1 tread staircases ,

so the can be different Widths at the bottom (to out side of wall) and top ( in between Walls ).

It is admittedly a bit tricky/finicky

Boy isn't that the truth. I complained about this several years ago and wished they would let us break the stairs where needed so we could make widths exactly how we want them. It's really not too bad to do though (the work around).

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, tommy1 said:

Boy isn't that the truth. I complained about this several years ago and wished they would let us break the stairs where needed so we could make widths exactly how we want them. It's really not too bad to do though (the work around).

I have made that same request many times and for many previous versions to be able to break the stairs around a wall but on deaf ears each time just see more and more 3d things wishing for more things to move the plans along for construction documents

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2019 at 5:37 PM, Kbird1 said:

In this case I don't think 2 overlapping stairs are needed. The winder option works well here, as suggested in the video below. The jogs in the stairs are fixed by moving/snapping the stair to the walls. To get them to look like the pic below, you have to increase the Winder max tread contraction. I set it to 8". You also had some invisible walls next to and under the stairs which were messing with the stairs, so I removed them. Like Mick said, the one thing you still don't get is molding in the bottom portion of the open railing, so you would have to manually add one there. 

image.thumb.png.48b870409a04f1255cf30c9195b1d02f.png

image.thumb.png.44c7ecf8174e156ca79fb6673a2e3d9d.png

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/390/stair-wall-options-partial-railing-wall-under-stairs-stairwell.html

-Alvar

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No question about it. More user control over stair section breaks and their widths would be great!  

I haven't tried the 2 (or more) section workaround, but it sounds like in some cases it may be the only way. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AlvarD said:

In this case I don't think 2 overlapping stairs are needed. The winder option works well here, as suggested in the video below. The jogs in the stairs are fixed by moving/snapping the stair to the walls. To get them to look like the pic below, you have to increase the Winder max tread contraction. I set it to 8". You also had some invisible walls next to and under the stairs which were messing with the stairs, so I removed them. Like Mick said, the one thing you still don't get is molding in the bottom portion of the open railing, so you would have to manually add one there. 

-Alvar

Yes , I have never worked out why sometimes it will work and others not , but have found in the past if it does that the Winder Contraction needed, seems to be about twice the wall thickness.

M.