Floating lights not installing on cathedral ceiling

CARMELHILL

I'm working on some design revisions and I just noticed my lights are not installing on he cathedral ceiling, but rather floating at the 8" ceiling height, even though there is no ceiling in the room. I've never seen this before and I can't duplicate the issue on a new plan, just this one.

Any idea what is causing this?

HONOR_DESIGN_1.plan

HONOR FLOATING LIGHTS.jpg

36 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

Thanks. That works for the renderings, but won't work when I do the electrical plan later. I have a ticket  in to tech support.

change the offset from ceiling in the light dbx..it will keep it on the 1st floor in plan view

2 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

Thanks. That works for the renderings, but won't work when I do the electrical plan later. I have a ticket  in to tech support.

Something appears to be not quite right in your plan..... may need to deal with this 1st ? Has the Roof moved or changed Pitch?

image.thumb.png.721e2f36a07fbe656efddd3ecf9dfe05.png

Thanks Mick. I know it looks messed up. That was an early version from x10 and I switched to x11 beta but didn't want to post the x11 plan here because of the NDA. It's not a bug specific to the X11 version so I didn't think it was appropriate to send to the beta forum.

I'll send it over there with the more recent plan.

In 9 years with Chief I've never come across this. It's something specific to that plan.

1 hour ago, CARMELHILL said:

Thanks Mick. I know it looks messed up. That was an early version from x10 and I switched to x11 beta but didn't want to post the x11 plan here because of the NDA. It's not a bug specific to the X11 version so I didn't think it was appropriate to send to the beta forum.

I'll send it over there with the more recent plan.

In 9 years with Chief I've never come across this. It's something specific to that plan.

I didn't know where to start as there is a bunch of Weirdness in the plan , I'm not sure how those interior doors made out of ICF are going to work either for example :) but the Roof Planes 1/2 over the window and Windows inside has me totally confused.... Figured if that stuff was fixed it may "fix" the Floating lights issue along the way.

image.thumb.png.1476f0fdaeccab438da9962460dccafd.png

In order to show the lights correctly in 3D, plan view and in the electrical schedule:

Copy (Ctrl-C) the low hanging lights then paste them in place on the second floor. While the lights just pasted on the second floor are still selected, open the objects and uncheck the "Include in Schedule" box and place them on a separate layer that you can turn off.

Alternatively, you can leave them on the first (proper) floor and adjust their height individually like Rene described above since you are probably going to want to adjust them to line up their bottom height anyway.

__CA temp 1.JPG

__CA temp 0.JPG

That answers that. I figured it would be compliant with your local codes and my comment was more of a curiosity than 'advice'. I was curious though so I did a quick search and I have to admit, it doesn't get as cold as I would've expected in NY. The insulated water line used to be acceptable (by some) where I live. Especially when magical spray foam was used!

Edward, do you bother with adjusting the light fixture display to 'sit' correctly on the sloped ceiling? Just wondering if it's a necessary level of accurate modeling for showing your client? You could set the pendants to be higher, then use a different symbol overlaid in the same location as the pendants to represent the fixture base. That might be a bit quicker than making a new symbol. Just thinking out loud about how I'd do it if I had to...

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Edward, do you bother with adjusting the light fixture display.

I don't bother. When I get tunnel vision and get lost down a rabbit hole, I spend too much time on interior renderings that aren't sufficiently reimbursed with client fees. It's nice to provide this eye candy, and even nicer to hear this particular client say "could that look ANY better", and "that looks awesome", but it still doesn't get me anymore money. So I don't get stuck on details.

Going off on a tangent.....

At the recommendation of a successful attorney, I have started giving clients three "services" options. Level one is an outrageously expensive construction monitoring and GC price and I tell clients that only 5% of people choose it. Level two is my main aim which includes renderings and permit filing and I tell clients 90% choose it. Level 3 is a bare bones builders set with no permit filing, which the remaining 5% choose. The book "Influence - The Psychology of Persuasion" by Robert Cialdini (should be required reading for anyone that is self employed), he says it's a mental mind game. 90% of people chose the middle option, no matter the price. People want to do what everybody else does "part of the herd mentality". There is a secondary mind game that after you show people the crazy expensive option #1, the second option that your truly trying to sell them doesn't seem so bad, and actually seems pretty reasonable. And no one wants option 3 because they don't want to appear they are getting "no frills" service.

It's exactly why people buy a car for $40g, but then don't mind later when they add all the silly little options for $1,000 a piece that slowly add up, and eventually that car costs $55g

I tell ya, it's changed my business. I've increased my per project fees by 40%.

• Like 1

That's weird topical timing. I was just discussing almost that same idea with my wife yesterday. My fee structure is too detailed and while it has served me well, it prevents me from quickly quoting a project. Also, I'm losing on the high end homes but I make way more (per hour) on builder basic homes even with a thorough fee schedule that was designed to deal with the extra architectural demands of high end clients and the additional time in meetings. I struggle with finding the right formula. Everyone wants to see 3D but no one wants to pay for it. Also, the high end homes are always pushing the limits of the building code and require much more time in code review, something clients (builders or homeowners) have little appreciation for or understanding of the amount of time and effort it consumes.

Thanks for bringing that topic up. Certainly helpful advice.