Odd Dormer Problem

Chief5Me

Hello,

I am trying to put dormers in my house model, and it keeps doing this weird thing.

i use the "Automatic Floating Dormer" tool, and i place it where i want it, but then when i look at it in the 3D view, it's all wonky. The window sits way up high, and i can see the roof layers beneath it!!

when i move the window down, i see the plywood and stuff through it :huh:

here are screen shots?status=560&type=status:

image.thumb.png.75116dbb87493ff7faaf83e81db140d1.png

image.thumb.png.0ae43ff52fac6f21e749c22eba8f0c5e.png

it says that the Dormer is selected.

i select the dormer, and then the "Dormer Specification" box comes up. then i click "Walls" and i type in a different number into the "Height" box and it just makes the window a different size and doesn't allow me to move the window up. when i just put it the dormer, it allows me to move the window higher, past the ceiling, but not when i make the wall smaller than 60" (the default height).

3 hours ago, Chief5Me said:

Hello,

I am trying to put dormers in my house model, and it keeps doing this weird thing.

i use the "Automatic Floating Dormer" tool, and i place it where i want it, but then when i look at it in the 3D view, it's all wonky. The window sits way up high, and i can see the roof layers beneath it!!

when i move the window down, i see the plywood and stuff through it :huh:

here are screen shots?status=560&type=status:

image.thumb.png.75116dbb87493ff7faaf83e81db140d1.png

image.thumb.png.0ae43ff52fac6f21e749c22eba8f0c5e.png

the Auto Floating Dormer is trying to keep its' self in the Sloped part of the Ceiling , try the Create Room in Dormer Option in the Dormer DBX.

you are moving the Window below the roof plane outside the dormer ...so I'm not surprised you see OSB etc.....

M.

2 minutes ago, Chief5Me said:

Thanks!

I'll try that.

You have a very limited Roof slope below the Ceiling line , so either you need a smaller window or you need to raise the area of the Dormer. Eric may have some other good ideas too depending on your "wants" as afar as the Dormer.

M.

19 minutes ago, Chief5Me said:

and down to the first floor

Well that's a new one :)      but yes it going to move the ceiling upto the 60" you input....

For some reason the Room in the Dormer is Auto set to open Room , just make it any other type even unspecified to get the floor back.

1 hour ago, solver said:

I'm still clueless, but here is a guess.

ct1.thumb.jpg.e9f784fda65e22fef2bce0ec56931835.jpgct2.thumb.jpg.06d142819e2eeaa99d7e4d1c3730f524.jpg

Yes I am not sure either,  whether Wall is inline with house wall (right) or if the Dormer is entirely in Roof (Left)

as the Dormers as different... RH Dormer works with a 36x36 window 92" off the Floor.....

image.thumb.png.7ca5a6344cc5cd65a2bfb08b525eb4bd.png

1 hour ago, Chief5Me said:

Yes, this is what i need^^^

the Right hand Dormer? That is not a Floating Dormer, ( ie entirely in the Roof Plane) it is sitting over the Knee Wall/Exterior Wall.

image.thumb.png.e64f359ed980d83e35493e898867f57f.png

Manual Dormer is my guess , you'll need to notch the roof plane to let the wall come right up like i did above....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00449/creating-a-manual-dormer.html

PS for Exterior Walls in Particular get into the Habit of changing the Wall Definition to change Materials , DON"T paint them as weirdness will ensue..... eg the Dormer walls above...I see four different exteriors on this house so far....

6 minutes ago, Chief5Me said:

ok... how do you notch the roof plane?

i'm sorry, i'm a beginner, so i'm a little slow :unsure:

Looks like you did it on the other side of the house? No? or did you delete a Chimney or something?

Use the Line break tool (zigzag icon) to place two breaks a few feet apart on the edge of the Roof plane and then use the edit Handle between them, to drag the small section up the roof.

image.thumb.png.9d76f50653d2b3a3fd6f5d5b60195948.png