Roof Design Issues

Crusader103

Hi All,

I've got about 12 years experience designing homes but I'm new(er) to Chief Architect (Premier X10). I've found a lot of help on this forum (thanks) but running into an issue here.

I need my roof to look like the attached image. So far, it's not close. Specifically, I need the roof on the left side of that gable above the door to die into the garage roof. I also need the right side of that same gable to meet the lower floor roof. Essentially, I'm looking to recreate the picture.

I've attached my plan (very much in progress). I've got a lot left to do on this plan and know how to do most of it. I just want to get past this one sticking point before I get too far into it. Any guidance is appreciated.

Desired Roof.PNG

2-Story 4 Bedroom.plan

I don't see the problem, and the house looks pretty much like everything built in the last fifteen years in the part of far northwest Chicagoland with which I've some familiarity.  Gables galore facing the street.

That previous one was a roof seriously in need of a cricket, but not this one.

15 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Is there something in the water?  It seems like we’re seeing examples of people using those gable into gable drainage hazards about once a week this days.  

I draw my own plans but if I just was a builder and didn't draft them and a designer came to me with one of those water / snow traps I'd fire them.  You see a ton of them in GA.  If I had a penny for every garage I've seen down there with a gable across the entire face of the garage that dies into the gable wall of a house......

Thanks for the info to all.

If I am reading you all correctly the only way to do this is with the manual roofs.

I agree, based upon the image I am trying to copy, that drainage is an issue. I'm not trying to design this house so much as I am trying to figure out how to do certain things with X10. I like CA so far but I'm also trying to learn how to make some things work in it.

While I try to avoid issues in my plan, most of you probably understand that in the end the individual client or builder gets what they want (pay for) even if I point out to them some faults in the design process. Yes, it's my job to point it out to them. But when I do and they want it anyway, I let them know there is going to be a problem and then deposit the check.

19 minutes ago, Crusader103 said:

If I am reading you all correctly the only way to do this is with the manual roofs.

No, not at all - this should all be able to be done with auto roofs.

I managed to get the front roofs all auto built, but couldn't go any further because I don't know what types of roofs you want at the rear, and what ceiling/floor heights you want:

New Image_67.jpg

Eric, I am curious - would you really build a roof like that?

9 minutes ago, glennw said:

No, not at all - this should all be able to be done with auto roofs.

I managed to get the front roofs all auto built, but couldn't go any further because I don't know what types of roofs you want at the rear, and what ceiling/floor heights you want:

9' main floor, 8' upper floor.

And honestly I didn't have a plan for the rear. I was just trying to figure out how to make the front look like the picture. Just getting that center gable to terminate into the roof of the garage on the left was my issue while getting that same gable roofline on the right to meet the roof coming from the main floor below. I'm not designing this house for anyone. I just want to know how to do it. I can do it on paper and in non-CA programs. I'm just trying to build my knowledge of X10 is all.

Eric,

I redid the roof correctly this time (still auto roofs) with the center ridge lower and not being a continuation of the left hand roof.

And guess what - I get exactly same roof as you.

Certainly not a roof that I would ever build!

Yours: ct1.thumb.jpg.7468bfa360c012534bd3b86fdfb7b662.jpg.919322fd28ba53fc5cea45420bbc6ff7.jpg

Mine: 1795285746_NewImage_68.thumb.jpg.48a5d64f1cedbbed27cdee06338bd86a.jpg