Materials on Imported 3D Models from SketchUp

KyraWilliams

Hello,

Using Chief Architect Interiors x10

I am having some difficulty with the scale and properties of materials when applied to non-Chief Architect models (mine are mostly SketchUp models). The two main issues are:

1. The scale of the material is HUGE on the imported model, but looks normal on models from the library. I realize I can scale down the texture to something like 1/2" but just curious if I am doing something wrong.

2. Mirror texture shows as grey, not reflective on imported models. (I have not painted the mirror on, but rather selected "mirror" material when I import the model). In the photo below, the imported mirror is on the left using the same mirror material that is on the oval mirror. 

Examples of both are attached here. Please help!

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 3.18.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 3.20.02 PM.png

1 hour ago, KyraWilliams said:

Hello,

Using Chief Architect Interiors x10

I am having some difficulty with the scale and properties of materials when applied to non-Chief Architect models (mine are mostly SketchUp models). The two main issues are:

1. The scale of the material is HUGE on the imported model, but looks normal on models from the library. I realize I can scale down the texture to something like 1/2" but just curious if I am doing something wrong.

2. Mirror texture shows as grey, not reflective on imported models. (I have not painted the mirror on, but rather selected "mirror" material when I import the model). In the photo below, the imported mirror is on the left using the same mirror material that is on the oval mirror. 

Examples of both are attached here. Please help!

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 3.18.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 3.20.02 PM.png

Best to post a Test Plan with the Examples and the files used otherwise everyone is only guessing.....

Two Mirrors won't reflect each other but those two are in the same plane by the looks of things.

One other thought is there is an OLD CA Mirror Material that doesn't reflect except in Ray Traces.... is it possible you used it from your User Library rather that the New Mirror Material that does Reflect in STD Camera Views...

Best to Fill in your Forum Signature when you get a Chance especially with your Version of the software as that info is needed for many answers.

The file is saying its too big to upload :(

But I tried using the eye-dropper tool to select the mirror material from the reflective one on the right, used the mirror texture in the Chief library, created my own texture and selected "mirror" for texture type...nothing works. This has also happened on an imported coffee table, mirror texture just looks grey. 

Thank you for your help!!

13 hours ago, KyraWilliams said:

The file is saying its too big to upload :(

But I tried using the eye-dropper tool to select the mirror material from the reflective one on the right, used the mirror texture in the Chief library, created my own texture and selected "mirror" for texture type...nothing works. This has also happened on an imported coffee table, mirror texture just looks grey. 

Thank you for your help!!

I suspect that the reason the eye-dropper is not working is that in your plan materials list you likely have more than 1 material named "Mirror". Open up the mirror object DBX, select Materials Tab, click on the material for the mirror part of the object, choose Select and then Plan. Two things can happen, it will either highlight the actual material or just stay at the top of the list. If it stays at the top of the list then there is most likely more than 1 material with the same name, CA does not know which one to select. Scroll down to find the material(s) named "Mirror", now you have to find the right one and at the same time change the name of the others so they are unique, Mirror 1, Mirror 2, etc.

This tends to happen when you do the following, you select the material "Mirror" from the library, you then change/modify one of the properties, it's still called "Mirror". You then select "Mirror" from the library again and apply it to another object, it will be saved in the plan materials with the same name "Mirror". Now you have two materials in the plan material list named "Mirror" but with different properties. From what I can deduce is that when you use the eye-dropper CA only looks at the Name so when you select one or the other mirror materials and try to apply it to the other CA say's it already has the material "mirror" assigned and therefore it does nothing.