New Laptop

Hatrak

Well, this is all new. I haven't been on Chief Talk in 75 yrs. It all looks so different. Anyway, purchased a new laptop and attempted to install Chief. It didn't work. Got an error message and could not install. Because I am retired, well sort of, I have seen no reason to spend the money to upgrade from X5. It would be nice but not necessary. I still do some design and layout work but not enough to warrant the added cost. I was told by a sales rep at Chief that X5 will not install on Windows 10. However, and a big one at that, I have X5 installed on my PC which is Windows 10.

Anybody have similar experience and or, better yet, a solution? So far the only solution I see is to spend the $2400 (like that is what I am going to do!) to upgrade Chief or struggle thru with my slow 10 yr old laptop.

Would appreciate any comments.

David Hedrick (ret)

The 1st paragraph appears contradictory to me , 1st you say X5 wouldn't install , then you say it is installed?  I am guessing there is a Typo there somewhere....

But there is no reason you can't Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on the new Laptop , so you can run X5 if needed.

M.

My laptop and desktop have Windows 10 on them. I have installed and operational on them X1-X10 (on my desktop I dual boot into XP x32 on which I have installed Old Version 7, 9.5 and 10). So please do not tell me you "can't install" any version of Chief in Windows. It is NOT SO. you just need intend that it goes right until it actually goes right.

DJP

Mick: My PC has Windows 10 with Chief installed but it was already installed before upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. It is my new laptop that is giving me the problems.

David: Tried 3 times to install X5 and one time each X3 and X4. Always get the same error message after almost entirely installed. Yesterday a sale rep at Chief that told me X5 is not compatible with Windows 10. Good to know others have been successful. I will try again today. Thanks. 

Just spent 50 minutes with tech support and after a few tries X5 is now downloaded on the new laptop. However, as was stated to me, because Windows 10 does not support X5 there is no guarantee that X5 will continue to work w/o future problems. So for now it works but may have to dual boot with Windows 7 in the future.

4 hours ago, Hatrak said:

Yesterday a sale rep at Chief that told me X5 is not compatible with Windows 10

That is the Official Stance yes , as they don't want to provide Support for Old Versions.....on a new OS

If you had to perform any special moves etc to get it installed , you should post your findings while fresh in your mind for Others...and perhaps yourself in the Future if you have to redo it....

M.

Mick: Turns out the install was pretty simple, that is after trying the normal route.

Download the X5 install file. Right click on it and then click on "Troubleshoot compatibility". When completed click on"Test the program". When the Setup Wizard appears click on"Next". It should install from there. At least it did for me. Hoping now I can install all the additional library files i have saved.

37 minutes ago, Hatrak said:

Mick: Turns out the install was pretty simple, that is after trying the normal route.

Download the X5 install file. Right click on it and then click on "Troubleshoot compatibility". When completed click on"Test the program". When the Setup Wizard appears click on"Next". It should install from there. At least it did for me. Hoping now I can install all the additional library files i have saved.

Thanks Dave...compatibility Settings for Win7 , would of been the 1st thing I tried , so good to know it does work.

Shouldn't be any issues importing new libraries if you have them backed up.

If you have the old Laptop and the Installation is still there you can also Copy the Chief Data Folder out of My Documents to My Documents on the new Computer with a USB key or over the Network .

Have a look in the KB for the Articles On Migrating CA to a New Computer  like this one...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00001/migrating-chief-architect-to-a-new-computer.html

M.