Terrain/Contour and Driveway issues on sloping site.

Steve77

Hi There,

I am a current chief architect user and have a question in regards to the contour tool and driveway tool.

I have a plan that has a sloping site that I am trying to accurately portray in 3d for both client and the Local Council.
From the road front the site slopes left to right and from the back to front.
(I have attached Images shown what I currently have)

My question is there something that I am missing I have also tried in elevation converting/extracting a polyline solid but it doesn't quite work.

I have attached a link to the 3d viewer but can add a plan if need be.

https://3d-viewer.chiefarchitect.com/go?share=503392208525732

Most of the issues you are seeing are typically caused by terrain data that is overlapping or too close causing a conflict for chief's method of terrain generation.  Usually it can handle real world data that is properly recorded and inputted.  Also the flatten pad setting can cause issues with data that is too close to the building.

That being said you likely need to post the plan file for someone to be able to help unless you think you have patience to carefully make small adjustments and observe the results if you are making an improvement or making things worse.

• Upvote 1

Might want to upload the plan while CA is closed and any pics of the Property you have , as we can't tell anything from the 3D though the terrain looks high judging by Doors and or not sloped correctly.  ( not that I am a Terrain Expert :) )

5 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Most of the issues you are seeing are typically caused by terrain data that is overlapping or too close causing a conflict for chief's method of terrain generation.  Usually it can handle real world data that is properly recorded and inputted.  Also the flatten pad setting can cause issues with data that is too close to the building.

That being said you likely need to post the plan file for someone to be able to help unless you think you have patience to carefully make small adjustments and observe the results if you are making an improvement or making things worse.

Chopsaw answered your question plus make sure "Flatten Pad" is left unchecked in the Terrain Specification Dialog.

DJP

On 2/1/2019 at 1:25 AM, DavidJPotter said:

plus make sure "Flatten Pad" is left unchecked in the Terrain Specification Dialog.

Why do you recommend that David?  flatten pad is very commonly the exactly right thing to do.  The biggest things to understand with terrains are these...

1.  Use the proper tools.  Define your terrain with the elevation data tools (points, lines, splines, regions, and terrain breaks).  Only use the modifier tools after the underlying terrain has been properly defined. 

2.  Give Chief enough information to work with (it needs at least 2 pieces of elevation data and perhaps much more depending on the desired contours).

3.  Avoid giving Chief too much information.  It just starts to get confusing, difficult to keep track of, and slows down the terrain generation.

4.  And most importantly (and as was already stated above), don't give Chief conflicting data.  Do not overlap elevation lines, don't leave any lines or points inside an elevation region, and don't place conflicting data right next to each other--give it a little space.