Please Help! Roof Plane Headache, have pics!

Zephenel

Hi Fellow C.A. users,

I am struggling with getting the gable roof to look like the real life picture of the house my wife and I would like to build.  Each time I change the porch wall to a gable wall, the roof planes automatically connect with the garage right side plane.  How do I keep a 12/12 pitch and keep the peak of the porch wall over the door as in the picture?  I hope these pictures help to clarify, this has been really frustrating.  When I change to gable, you'll see the peak also extends far above that of the main section of the house. Please help!

front view.png

Screenshot (87).png

Screenshot (88).png

Screenshot (89).png

Screenshot (90).png

1 hour ago, Zephenel said:

Hi Fellow C.A. users,

I am struggling with getting the gable roof to look like the real life picture of the house my wife and I would like to build.  Each time I change the porch wall to a gable wall, the roof planes automatically connect with the garage right side plane.  How do I keep a 12/12 pitch and keep the peak of the porch wall over the door as in the picture?  I hope these pictures help to clarify, this has been really frustrating.  When I change to gable, you'll see the peak also extends far above that of the main section of the house. Please help!

front view.png

Screenshot (87).png

Screenshot (88).png

Screenshot (89).png

Screenshot (90).png

Please post your plan and fill out your signature so we can better help you :)

3 hours ago, Zephenel said:

I'm new to this forum, where do I fill out my signature?  Appreciate your feedback!

*** to fill in your Signature .... go up to the top RH Corner above and click on your UserName> Account Settings> Signature.... and enable Signature (will Turn Green) then add your Hardware Details and Chief Software Version, as different Version require different Answers.

***To add Pics to your Posts please use Windows Snipping Tool , found under Windows Accessories in your Start Menu, Save the Snip to your Desktop and Drag it into the Light Grey Area of the Reply Window.

As Eric mentioned , unless you have HD Pro you are best off asking over on Hometalk as you will need to use "workarounds" if you don't have manual Roof planes. Same password and User ID over there...

From the pics you posted, looks like you have HD Pro. You may be able to do it with auto-roofs, but you certainly do it with manual roofs. Here's a pic of the roof planes that you can try to get what you want. Hope it helps!

image.thumb.png.3763f372a4222635a60ccb094e1601fb.png

-Alvar

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AlvarD said:

From the pics you posted, looks like you have HD Pro. You may be able to do it with auto-roofs, but you certainly do it with manual roofs. Here's a pic of the roof planes that you can try to get what you want. Hope it helps!

image.thumb.png.3763f372a4222635a60ccb094e1601fb.png

-Alvar

Of course, as others have mentioned, you really need a cricket in the corner when the two valleys meet. Something like this:

image.thumb.png.160d912dbae0a395312780e1a627e85f.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't see why it would make things worse. It's no different than any gable intersecting a roof plane, and it's keeping the water flowing down the roof lines. I do agree that your cricket would be simpler to build. In plan it would look like this:

image.thumb.png.ae29d5d482767074a7b58f700fc4a208.png

21 minutes ago, AlvarD said:

I don't see why it would make things worse. It's no different than any gable intersecting a roof plane, and it's keeping the water flowing down the roof lines. I do agree that your cricket would be simpler to build. In plan it would look like this:

I definitely agree with Joey.  Yes, it would help drain water at least a little, but not much at all, and it results in 2 more problem valleys where stuff can build up and cause problems (not to mention a nightmare for the roofer to detail properly).  It actually is a lot different than a normal valley by the way because normal valleys have one pitch directing water onto another perpendicular pitch whereas your example has one pitch directing water onto another parallel pitch.   Truth is that it has no benefit whatsoever in that scenario.  The only time I would build that particular type of cricket or saddle would be behind another obstruction (to direct the flow of water around it).

You guys have convinced me that in this case, that kind of cricket is definitely not the correct option. Like Michael said, the ridge cricket is good for diverting water away from things like chimneys or other stand-alone obstructions, but it in this scenario, the simple plane is best. 

Thanks,

Alvar

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, AlvarD said:

image.thumb.png.ae29d5d482767074a7b58f700fc4a208.png

Really appreciate your insight Alvar!  The 10:12 might have to be the way to go.  

11 hours ago, joey_martin said:

2 ice dams. One on either side of the small ridge you placed in there. When the snow and ice build up and then start to melt, the backup would push it up under the shingles. 

Thanks Joey for simplifying the cricket as I am the home builder so that makes things easier for me as well! You guys are all great!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Zephenel said:

Really appreciate your insight Alvar!  The 10:12 might have to be the way to go.  

Glad to help. Other than your pitch preference, the pitch of various roofs will be limited by the pitch and elevations of the roofs they will meet. The way I drew this house (I didn't use the dimensions of your house), the depth of the house with the 12/12 pitch on the main gable, set the Highest ridge elevation such that the front gables had to be less than 12/12. In this case 10/12 worked out, but if your house is deeper, giving you a higher ridge on the main gable roof, you may be able to put a 12/12 on the front gables. 

Good luck with the house! 

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

Since we're throwing roof details and terminologies around, while the flat triangular plane is called a cricket, in my neck of the woods we call the peaked section like that a saddle, not a cricket. :)

I agree. Although most saddles have a horizontal ridge.