Library Beam not recognized by Framing Schedule

Synthesis

Using Premier X10 version, I have downloaded bonus lib I Beam item which is great when installed as part of the floor framing above a basement. Problem is I cannot get it to show in the Framing Schedule, despite assigning it to framing layer, etc.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

J. Pardo

5 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Those beams aren't framing objects so they're not going to show in the framing schedule.  If you want an I-Beam that shows up in the framing schedule, just draw an actual joist or beam, change it's Type to Steel-I and then change the material. 

That's what I thought the issue was too but they use a Framing material called Metal Steel ...... so the Schedule may need some configuring perhaps?

image.thumb.png.8d5c9e274e974eda2310cef72c22c822.png

Just now, Kbird1 said:

That's what I thought the issue was too but they use a Framing material called Metal Steel ...... so the Schedule may need some configuring perhaps?

image.thumb.png.8d5c9e274e974eda2310cef72c22c822.png

The material is irrelevant.  It's not a framing object.  In other words, just because you paint a couch with a framing material doesn't mean it would/should show up in the framing schedule. 

18 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The material is irrelevant.  It's not a framing object.  In other words, just because you paint a couch with a framing material doesn't mean it would/should show up in the framing schedule. 

Yep , I just noticed they are really Geometric Shapes ....... which seems wrong to me..... so why assign a Framing Material ???

So best way.....

If you want an I-Beam that shows up in the framing schedule, just draw an actual floor or ceiling beam, change it's Type to Steel-I and then change the material.

( while you have the Bonus beam in Plan save the Material Metal Steel to your Library for reuse, when you make your Own.)

image.thumb.png.3b3d06b75b14fb224d6ff6ff28c844b3.png

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes, except with this example, the point would be moot.  These are not framing objects. 

I know - but I was referring to the fact that a Framing Member specified as a Steel I Beam (I would probably be using W Shapes and sizes) could be reported correctly.  Unfortunately they appear in different areas of the Materials List than Lumber Framing.

Just FYI , I reported the Issues with these "Beams" and the Issues have been logged to the Database for Updating....

M.

Today while using the Steel I Beam from the Bonus library I noted several anomalies.

1. They do not report to the Framing Schedule
2. They are not in the Beam Drawing Group so disappear behind Walls,Framing etc
3. I tried several from the Bonus Library, and it is not just the I-Beam with these issues.

I thinks this is because the are NOT Framing Objects perse,as expected, but Geometric Shapes, though I noted they were made with a Framing Type Material called Metal Steel which I don't seem to have in my General Library either.

So hopefully the Library can be Updated so they report and Draw Correctly.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Synthesis said:

Thank you all for the suggestions, perhaps now the creators of library beams and other structural items will make them to be usable, not just as pretty 3D pictures.

I think you are right , they were likely 1st Made for the Home Designer Series , which doesn't have Schedules etc at all.

It seems like you fellas might be missing the point here.  Those library objects ARE NOT framing objects and so they SHOULD NOT be included in the framing schedule.  If you want non-framing objects to be included in the framing schedule (which is really what you're asking for) then I think that's a different suggestion entirely. 

If you want those beams to be included in your framing schedule properly and per Chief's current design, then you should be doing yourselves a favor and using a framing object and not a symbol from the library.  If the current framing tools can't give you what you need then I would suggest that you ask Chief to add the required framing type.

Point is that those symbols aren't set up to work like you're requesting and never have been.  In fact, there is no such thing as a framing symbol and so your desired functionality would require a whole new symbol category along with all sorts of other supporting changes to help control how the object functions and how it is to report to the schedule.  This is a case where I think tech support nicely added your request to the pile, but I think they probably should have just told you you're expecting something that simply doesn't work that way.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

The program already produces nice steel I beams that do show up in the framing schedule, and they perform as expected.

225462061_IBeam.thumb.png.6ef38b38280aa3cab453b3840e1d8eb8.png

Yes, that's true,  they are just an alternative to the ones available via the Framing DBX (which I'd normally use) but the Library also includes several Profiles not available via the Framing DBX and they also mean not having to futz with the Framing DBX to for eg. change the Default Lumber or LVL Beams to Steel , so it would be nice if they worked properly.

M.

12 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Yes, that's true,  they are just an alternative to the ones available via the Framing DBX (which I'd normally use) but the Library also includes several Profiles not available via the Framing DBX and they also mean not having to futz with the Framing DBX to for eg. change the Default Lumber or LVL Beams to Steel , so it would be nice if they worked properly.

M.

To Michael's point, the bonus beams are not framing objects, and normal framing objects are not library items. Perhaps the right approach would be to request that additional types of beams be added to the programmed framing object beam choices. Personally, I would have several more urgent upgrade requests.

But really my post was just to illustrate to anyone who might be confused by this thread that the program does in fact produce nice I-beams, since the OP specifically mentioned "I-beams." Yes, the bonus catalog has symbols that the OOB framing tools can't produce, but it does make nice I-beams.

Just trying to add clarity, since I'm one who relies heavily on this forum to learn. :)

59 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Those library objects ARE NOT framing objects and so they SHOULD NOT be included in the framing schedule.  If you want non-framing objects to be included in the framing schedule (which is really what you're asking for) then I think that's a different suggestion entirely. 

I am aware of that and hence I reported the Issues , and Brian Beck replied they would add it to the DB ......not that it means alot as there is thousands of suggestions every year....and this is rather Minor ( and perhaps not doable as noted) , they should likely be added to the Geometric Shapes Drop down by default instead , then nobody would confuse them with (True) Beams. It's also why I think they started out life as "Beams" for the Home Designer Series , where I am not sure if they have all the options we do?

I certainly didn't mean for anyone to think these were the Only Steel Beams Available in CA , so hopefully that has been put to rest now....

13 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Perhaps the right approach would be to request that additional types of beams be added to the programmed framing object beam choices.

We have done this exact thing many times in the Suggestion Forum, going back several software versions. Still waiting....