Font size

SNestor

I'm working on a remodel of a house that is very small....and old. It is only about 1,000 SF.  My default text is Chief Blueprint @ 6".  This size font on such a small footprint seems way too large...but, I'm worried if I change it to 4"...and print the plan at 1/4" will the font be too small to read?  

Maybe I should use a different font altogether?  

Thanks...

32 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Copy the Default 1/4" Text style and make a new  1/4" x4" style and try it out via print to PDF perhaps , I think the Scale will tell you the approx. print size though.

Switch back if it is a no-go for you...

M.

I’ve already created a new size...just wondering if 4” font printed at 1/4” scale will appear too small.  Hoping someone knew how it looked without going to the trouble of printing a hard copy.  Problem with a PDF is I can zoom in on it...I’m wondering how a printed hard copy will look 

Try 4.5" if you are not sure.  I will print as 3/32".   1/8" is pretty standard but you may be able to get away with slightly less depending or local standards or maybe even the particular plan checker.  Do you have a desktop printer for letter size ?

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

I’ve already created a new size...just wondering if 4” font printed at 1/4” scale will appear too small.  Hoping someone knew how it looked without going to the trouble of printing a hard copy.  Problem with a PDF is I can zoom in on it...I’m wondering how a printed hard copy will look 

If you click on the Scale Button you can play with sizes till you get what you want , its tell you the Print size or you can enter the desire sire and it will figure it out for you. (3mm is 1/8 in my pic...i just happen to be in a metric plan right now.)

image.thumb.png.1add08f66ef12fb71c635fb161eeecb0.png

Steve, to test on your own without printing, do this...

Place the %scale% macro somewhere in your view and zoom in/out until you get it to say 1/4 in = 1 ft

What you see on your screen at this zoom setting is exactly what you should see if you print to scale.  In other words, your screen will be reporting the actual scale as you see it on your screen.  Take a ruler to your screen and you should see what I mean.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Steve, to test on your own without printing, do this...

Place the %scale% macro somewhere in your view and zoom in/out until you get it to say 1/4 in = 1 ft

What you see on your screen at this zoom setting is exactly what you should see if you print to scale.  In other words, your screen will be reporting the actual scale as you see it on your screen.  Take a ruler to your screen and you should see what I mean.

Thanks for the tip Michael...I will give this a try

11 hours ago, SNestor said:

My default font for 1/4" floor plan prints is 5" Arial Narrow. It looks pretty decent sized to my old worn eyes. I would think 4" would be fine, if a bit small, but still easily readable.

Here I compared 4" Chief Blueprint to 5" Arial Narrow. I think you'll be fine.

2010750341_ScreenShot2019-01-30at8_37_47AM.thumb.png.4208d3f0630abad8750b4d9f5daa04b4.png

• Upvote 1

I'm not locked into 1/4" = 1'0" as scale for floorplans and elevations in layouts, and sometimes go smaller (3/16") or larger (3/8").  I know there are some AHJs that insist on plans being at 1/4", and if so, I make it so.

But whatever scale, I like my text and dimensions at 3/32" height, and that means a setting of 4.5 for 1/4".  I use Chief Blueprint.

• Upvote 1