Elevation Views to Layout - Render type

SNestor

How do you all send elevation views to Layout?  

Is it "typical" to send views to Layout as "Vector Views"...or, do you ever send them as "Line Drawings"...or "Technical Illustration"?

I find that sending Elev Views to Layout using "Plot Lines" provides a great end result. The lines are sharper...and it appears more like a standard hand drafted (or even an AutoCad) type view. However, I don't think "Plot Line" views are "LIVE" views...so, If you make a change you may have to resend the an entirely new view to layout.  Is this correct?

Thanks

1 minute ago, SNestor said:

If you make a change you may have to resend the an entirely new view to layout.  Is this correct?

No just refresh unless you have edited any stray lines and they will need to be redone so if you use that feature do it last.

5 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

No just refresh unless you have edited any stray lines and they will need to be redone so if you use that feature do it last.

Thanks Chop.  So..are Plot Line views your standard for elevations to Layout?

12 minutes ago, SNestor said:

So..are Plot Line views your standard for elevations to Layout?

Yes and usually with color fill.  Might use some of the other rendering options with conceptual plans but Plot Lines for Construction Documents.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes and usually with color fill.  Might use some of the other rendering options with conceptual plans but Plot Lines for Construction Documents.

Thanks Chop...much appreciated info.

I have downloaded most of the "sample plans" that Chief has posted on their website...and most of the newer plans it seems they have sent building and interior elevations to layout in "Vector" view...I wonder why they do this?  

My thought is that these views (depending on the materials used) may not print very well...they could actually look "muddy".  I wonder if this this actually the case?

Thanks again....

2 minutes ago, SNestor said:

it seems they have sent building and interior elevations to layout in "Vector" view...I wonder why they do this?  

Maybe because there are still issues with plot lines that they have not fixed but still need attention ?  There is still an offset issue with the color fill that is difficult to ignore but I think there are still a lot of users that use plot lines despite that problem just hoping it will get fixed some day.

Even with plot lines and color fill you need to be careful not to let things get to dark or yes it will look muddy.  I have even made custom materials to compensate for this problem.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I use black and white plot lines almost exclusively for CD's. 

That's what I have been doing for years. There is always some "clean-up" (editing stray lines in layout) but CA has done a pretty good job over the last few versions to make this less time consuming. If I have my model good I don't have to do too much in elevations. Sections are still a problem sometimes because CA wants to frame differently than I want it to.

35 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

That's what I have been doing for years. There is always some "clean-up" (editing stray lines in layout) but CA has done a pretty good job over the last few versions to make this less time consuming. If I have my model good I don't have to do too much in elevations. Sections are still a problem sometimes because CA wants to frame differently than I want it to.

Quick tip for those unaware...

Instead of repeatedly deleting those errant lines, just mask them with a CAD mask...Fill set to background color and line style set to be controlled by layer.  Set the layer line style to red and the invisible line style.  For added lines, just draw those in with CAD rather then editing the plot lines. This way when you update your view you don't have to keep fixing the same stuff.  If you want to quickly check your plan for mask locations, just temporarily change the line style to normal and there they all are, bright red (or whatever color you want).

25 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Instead of repeatedly deleting those errant lines, just mask them with a CAD mask...Fill

That's what I do, basically, for much of the framing I don't want to see. Most of my layout editing involves lines that don't come in at the correct line weight - usually in perspective views and some elevations I send to layout. CA always seems to break the linework into multiple sections with different weights on the same line (usually pattern vs. edge and sometimes missing). I add CAD lines when I notice lines are missing in the views; that way I don't have to add them in layout.

34 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

set to background color and line style set to be controlled by layer.  Set the layer line style to red and the invisible line style

It's been a long day, Michael. I think I know what you are doing here. I set my cad mask to white (I use a dark gray background color in my planviews) and the line color to white so I can see them good. I also print in black and white so they don't show in the PDF when printed. Is that close to what you were talking about?

Thanks, Mike

13 hours ago, SNestor said:

How do you all send elevation views to Layout?  

I send elevations, sections, etc as Vector View, Plot Lines. I like a black and white with gray tones look, with sharp lines. You cannot send other view types (technical, watercolor, standard) as Plot Lines, only as Live Views.

13 hours ago, SNestor said:

I don't think "Plot Line" views are "LIVE" views...so, If you make a change you may have to resend the an entirely new view to layout.  Is this correct?

Plot Lines are not "live," you do need to update the view in layout as the model changes. However, you don't need to resend a new view, and I wouldn't recommend it. Just use Update Layout View command, or if you want to make changes to the view double click the view in layout to open the original view, then close it and select "Yes" when it asks you if you want to update the view. This will bring your current model into the layout view.

In the past I always sent elevations as Vector View, Plot Lines, and checked "Use Edge Line Defaults" and "Use Pattern Line Defaults" because this gave me the ability later, in layout, to go into Layout Box Specifications and make the pattern lines a gray tone. I like this look, and there you can also increase or decrease all edge and pattern lines. There is no control over individual objects' lines, however, and Chief actually discourages using this option -- according to Help it's only there for compatibility with legacy files.

I'm experimenting now with keeping those defaults unchecked (the default method) which pulls the edge lines and colors from the layer settings (in most cases), and the pattern lines and colors from Material Definitions, which gives even more control of the line weights and gray tones (or color if desired), but it's more cumbersome than my previous method. More control but more work, so I'm debating. I've been happy with my previous method but I like the idea of having, say, Roof Planes have a much thicker line than the other edges in my layout display. In the past I have used Edit Layout Lines to do this manually but you lose that work if the view needs update due to a model change.

10 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Most of my layout editing involves lines that don't come in at the correct line weight - usually in perspective views and some elevations I send to layout.

Again, if you're sending Vector View, Plot Lines with default settings, you can control line weights -- and colors -- in the layer (for edge lines) and material definition DBX (for patterns).

15 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

It's been a long day, Michael. I think I know what you are doing here. I set my cad mask to white (I use a dark gray background color in my planviews) and the line color to white so I can see them good. I also print in black and white so they don't show in the PDF when printed. Is that close to what you were talking about?

Thanks, Mike

Kinda.  I was really just trying to offer a method for keeping track of/managing those masks.  Make them bright red and maybe give them a super heavy line weight in a special "SHOW MASKS" layer set.  Otherwise, they can be a little difficult to remember and may end up screwing up your drawing if you forget they're there after you make certain changes.   

2 hours ago, DavidJames said:

All material colors changed to black, white and gray.

Looks Nice ......do you normally do Elevations with Shadows on ( i think they are? )

So you are actually changing the Material Definitions to look better in Greyscale ? I assume that is why if you want Colour it no longer works well?

I normally use B+W not greyscale so am curious about this way but I normally add a few Perspectives in Colour too.

Mick.

Just now, Kbird1 said:

Looks Nice ......do you normally do Elevations with Shadows on ( i think they are? )

So you are actually changing the Material Definitions to look better in Greyscale ? I assume that is why if you want Colour it no longer works well?

I normally use B+W not greyscale so am curious about this way but I normally add a few Perspectives in Colour too.

Mick.

Thanks, Mick. I always include shadows in elevations as I like the depth that it creates. 

As for the colors, I'll just use the "Adjust Material Definition" tool and change the material colors to white, and change the shading contrast to 0. 

For the windows, I'll change the material color to gray, and a shading contrast of 0. 

Unfortunately doing this will also remove the colors from all 3D views so, if you like to include actual color representations this won't be helpful. 

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

For Vector views, yes.

You can still do color in Standard or any render style other than Vector. 

35 minutes ago, DavidJames said:

Thanks, Mick. I always include shadows in elevations as I like the depth that it creates. 

As for the colors, I'll just use the "Adjust Material Definition" tool and change the material colors to white, and change the shading contrast to 0. 

For the windows, I'll change the material color to gray, and a shading contrast of 0. 

Unfortunately doing this will also remove the colors from all 3D views so, if you like to include actual color representations this won't be helpful. 

Thanks for the Info David , I'll have to play with Shadows and changing the Colours , may just have to remember to take a few Colour Views before changing stuff and add them as Images instead.

M.