Deck railing offset

MN_JohnH

When I build decks I **** to have the railing posts, (newels), set to the outside of the rim joists and bolted through the rim. Most codes don't allow for notching anymore but with a 4x4 I can bolt the full 4x4 to the outside of the rim and then overhang the decking a bit over the rim and still accomplish the 4" minimum opening between the bottom rail and the decking. I don't see an option to build the railing this way. I know I can do each piece manually but I would think this is not that uncommon of a building technique and there must be a setting for it. Seems like no matter what I do, deck railing posts are always sitting on top of the deck and defining the "wall". Essentially I am looking to create the deck perimeter at the correct size and then create the railing 3.5" total thickness, to the outside of the rim with 1" thick fascia boards then applied to the rim between the posts and the decking would then overhang the fascia boards by about a half inch.

1 hour ago, MN_JohnH said:

Well that's unfortunate. Thanks.

Try search Fascia Mounted Railings , it isn't that difficult once you know how , I believe I have posted plans in the past showing how to do it over the last 3-4 years...

I'll see if I have a Test plan from Last year still...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Try search Fascia Mounted Railings , it isn't that difficult once you know how , I believe I have posted plans in the past showing how to do it over the last 3-4 years...

I'll see if I have a Test plan from Last year still...

Couldn't find the plan I know  we played with here last year for a second floor balcony with a slighty different method, but here is a quick plan with my Fascia Mount Railing Wall in it to play with....( can be saved to your Library)

The trick is after drawing the Deck you need to lower each railing by dragging the bottom of the railing wall to the bottom of the joists. 1st turn off Railing , pull wall down , turn railing and Generate on low platform back on and you should be good to go. easiest to do in an elevation camera as you need to be very accurate to get the top of the railings to align. I left a couple of walls up in the Plan so you can try it.

Deck Fascia Mounted Railings_MHD.plan

2116783865_FasciaMount-X7.thumb.jpg.920e75189c5b6d65837ecdd40f9e3a74.jpg520652218_FlushMount1.thumb.JPG.e8d92a6b4fab655cb173bb3587522f2b.JPG768438118_FlushMount2.thumb.JPG.e706ffbac12571fa2e7b6eba9b5e28c8.JPG1928206012_FlushMount3.thumb.JPG.e10a4f983032d3f2d8b2bc18041e86ee.JPG958158230_FlushMount4.thumb.JPG.4794686ebfdd4ff12500a683174b1921.JPG

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Couldn't find the plan I know  we played with here last year for a second floor balcony with a slightly different method

Ok found it finally..........scroll down the and read the thread , there is also a Video by Chopsaw...

• Like 1

This video shows what I am trying to do but it doesn't say how to draw that extra wall outside of the invisible wall. But I can see that it is in one of these threads somewhere, I will keep looking. Very frustrating with everything CA can do and it makes this so hard. I really want a double post corner too. I saw something about that in one of the threads. It seems like there are several different ways and it's hard to tell if people are discussing the same methods.

The Double Wall Method with an Invisible Wall/Railing Wall method Douglas discovered by accident it the easiest way to do two posts at the corner found so far , which is also how I build them ITRW. ( no invisible wall ITRW though :) ).

That thread is the best , perhaps only one?  on that particular method, so worth a re-read for sure...

2 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

It seems like there are several different ways and it's hard to tell if people are discussing the same methods.

Yes unfortunately these are all workarounds and have different limitations.  Might be best if you post a cad detail of exactly what you need including the railing configuration and spindles as you have described the newels well already but the other details will dictate the best method as you also need to consider how it looks in your documentation and not just 3D.

Someone may be able to provide you with one on one consultation or a test plan or even a personal video. ;)