Unable to break or trim contour lines

contractcad

I'm back working on a project that I had put on hold for several months, and am having issues while trying to create topography that is consistent with the actual site.  I recently went to the site with a laser level and got enough points to extrapolate out some actual contour lines in AutoCAD that I then brought into my project as elevation data.

That worked well enough but there are several areas Chief Architect interpreted somewhat screwy as well as a couple of areas I wanted to modify that I'm not able to do.

I want to add or modify a couple of spots with retaining walls and different elevations and I'm thinking the several problem areas are because I need to add terrain breaks. But I am having a real difficult time because I think my imported contour lines that cross continuous thru the areas I want to modify override any changes I'm attempting to make (like trying to add a terrain break or retaining wall that crosses over several contour lines).

So my first thought is to just add a break or trim the contour line which with my long history of AutoCAD should be an easy thing to do... but no, it turns out it isn't.  Even though when I highlight said elevation contour line and the modification ribbon at the bottom of my screen gives me the commands to do so... I frustratingly unable to get the job done.  I can easily trim and break a dumb straight line or arc but no can do with either contour lines or splines.

My only way I see out of this right now is delete my existing contour lines, go back into AutoCAD and trim and break there, then re-import the modified contours back into my drawing.  In doing this I will no doubt have to do it several times before I get it right and being so unfamiliar with the process I worry about having considerable more time into the project and then having to backtrack to modify topography more.

Am I missing anything here?

Contour lines are a byproduct, in Chief Architect, of your elevation objects (lines, splines, regions, breaks etc), you edit the elevation objects which then display as modulated terrain or in plan view as contour lines. Perhaps I am just discussing semantics but I thought I should point out the difference. 

In my experience, you make a single change in the terrain and then immediately inspect that single change to evaluate if it moved you closer or further away from the intended result. Terrain, to me, is a trial and error, tweaking process generally. Whether or not I use retaining wall objects or just slabs and polyline solids depends upon the actual terrain layout. I find the retaining wall tool rather difficult to use in all possible cases (sometimes it works well and sometimes, due to the lay of the land, it does not. In such cases I then use custom objects like slabs or polyline solids that do not directly react with terrain).

Without have a copy of your problem plan and then also knowing exactly, in some detail what problems that have been vexing you, the above is all I can offer as advice.

DJP

Here I have attached a copy of my drawing file as well as a pdf markup and a couple pictures of the actual site.  Note that at this point in time I'm showing the renovated home (a proposed complete teardown of the wood structure with a new addition to the basement at the front of the home along with an excavated new front porch - area of existing foundation to be raised with several courses of block) on the site's existing grade.

My discussion at this time with the owner is whether to raise the existing foundation 2 block or 3 block, so until this is decided I have yet to show the lot with the added fill.

9488_Silverside_18_0127.plan

9488 Silverside 19 0127.pdf

Front.jpg

9488 Rear.jpg

North Side.jpg

South Side.jpg

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It needs to be a COMPLETE Break.  Click your break tool and then take a look down in the edit sub-menu.  

I wish they hadn't changed it , the Old double click tool worked better it seemed , at least to me , now sure why?

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I wish they hadn't changed it , the Old double click tool worked better it seemed , at least to me , now sure why?

I liked that function too, but the current method allows you to pin the function which couldn't be done before. Different approach, with added function.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

I liked that function too, but the current method allows you to pin the function which couldn't be done before. Different approach, with added function.

I like we now have Sticky Mode but for some reason I don't find it as easy to use as the old Tool , seems like I need to try multiple time to get it to fully cut about 1/2 the time it seems to be in break mode still not cut.

M.

31 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

seems like I need to try multiple time to get it to fully cut about 1/2 the time it seems to be in break mode still not cut.

In my experience this is almost always the result of trying to place a break where an edit handle is currently displayed.  That won't work.  Toggle the display of those edit handles to solve the issue...another capability of the "new way" by the way. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

In my experience this is almost always the result of trying to place a break where an edit handle is currently displayed.  That won't work.  Toggle the display of those edit handles to solve the issue...another capability of the "new way" by the way. 

Thanks I'll keep that in mind , I did play with the Corners and Side Handles Options but it didn't seem to make alot of difference , so will need to play some more it seems , you may have hit the nail on the head , so to speak , though I noticed a day or too ago that the CA Crosshairs don't align to the middle of the Cursor but to one side off it, which I though maybe part of the issue...ie my aim.

M