Walk throughs

rockyshepheard

Rocky.  It is not quite as simple as Michael suggested but the concept is exactly right since a walkthrough path is really just a cad line and Michael knows them quite well.  You would actually set the time for camera 3 and it is the elapsed time of the walkthrough until the end of keyframe 3 so you need to subtract the elapsed time displayed for keyframe 2 to get the elapsed time between 2 and 3.

See attached and edited plan file of yours with additional path from the video I posted previously.

Walkthrough for Rocky.plan

The slight movement is something that you want to do away with.  It can be a little nauseating IMO and can make the recording a little jittery and fuzzy.  This is what I was talking about...

Like This.plan

How difficult it is to achieve depends on how exactly you draw the walk-through path but the basics are the same...2 cameras stacked RIGHT ON TOP of each other with the distance between set to the desired time lapse.  And here's my last hint...you have to tell Chief what to do multiple times in this scenario sometimes to get it to stick. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

...you have to tell Chief what to do multiple times in this scenario sometimes to get it to stick. 

I almost thought you were joking and may not have believed it if you had not posted the plan.  But that is seriously flaky.  As I recall you don't do walkthroughs so how you figured that out is quite a mystery.  Has that been sent in as a bug or at the very least a feature request ?

Thanks all.

I don't see why CA asks for total duration when it just goes ahead and changes it anyway. I say numbers you enter, in walkthrough at least, should NEVER change otherwise you're chasing your tail.

Maybe CA could simplify walkthrough as below. 

1.Place your keyframe 1 and orient camera along 2D axes (add a ray coming out of lens of camera so you can point directly to objects)

2.Draw a line (of any shape) and place keyframe 2 at the end.

3. Enter the  TIME 1-2  you want to take to follow line from 1 to 2. 

The time you entered above can optionally be split between

A. % TIME 1-2 camera stays in orientation 1

and

B. % TIME 1-2 camera interpolates from orientation 1 to orientation 2.

A+B = TIME 1-2

(if no angle change is needed, check box and split entry boxes disappears).

4. Repeat until finished.

The total time of animation is the is summation of all time specified above.

Once finished you can increase or decrease animation time which will increase or decrease ALL times above. If you plan ahead, this option would be moot.

18 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

almost thought you were joking and may not have believed it if you had not posted the plan.  But that is seriously flaky.  As I recall you don't do walkthroughs so how you figured that out is quite a mystery.  Has that been sent in as a bug or at the very least a feature request ?

I haven't sent anything.  It's not something I care enough about right now.  As you mentioned, I have very rarely used the walk-through tool.  I oftentimes find good reasons to familiarize myself with the tools though for various reasons including training/support services.  This issue of pausing a camera during a walk-through has come up a grand total of 1 times in my experience though and never for my own purposes, so on my personal list,  I would put it somewhere between the need for a "Randomly Delete Framing Without Asking" tool and a "Gummy Worm Wizard" tool.  I could see myself having fun with one of those tools.  On the other hand, I guess I could maybe report the disobedient behavior as it could be part of another bigger issue with the software that might affect other dialog boxes or behaviors.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

On the other hand, I guess I could maybe report the disobedient behavior as it could be part of another bigger issue with the software that might affect other dialog boxes or behaviors.

That was sort of what I was thinking, and possibly you were able to figure that one out because of your experience with another dialog box.  I can't seem to place it right now but I thought when I finally figured out what you were hinting at something very similar had happened to me before.

I would be glad to send that one in but I am sure you could detail the intricacies much better than I.  My report would just back up yours and I am sure Rocky would be willing to make sure that and his other suggestion gets to the right people.

Thanks as always.  Chop