Whole rooms and content missing from Wall Elevation cameras

PorkRibs

Hi,

So in this office I have a hallway around a series of three rooms.  When I choose wall elevation cameras from the inside of the rooms it works fine.  If I choose 'Wall Elevation' cameras from outside these three rooms.....all three rooms and their contents are gone.  The camera looks to whatever is outside these rooms.  BUT,  if I use 'Wall Elevation' camera from inside the rooms...all is fine.  I'm baffled.  It does not happen in any other cameras.  I've played with wall and content layers to no avail.  

If you happen to look at the file.  The rooms labeled Imaging, Lab, and Sterilization are the ones effected and cameras 46,47,48 and 49 that are blind.  

I've attached .pdf's because my .plan file is 48MB. On 'EWP Cam FP.pdf', if you look at the walls beyond each camera and note doors and other identifying structures, then look at the four individual cameras...you can see all of the walls and cabinets contained in the three rooms is gone.  The other .pdf's are cameras 10,11, and 13 from inside the rooms looking out. If their walls were missing...you'd see door frames.

Any help diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Paul

EWP Cam FP.pdf

EWP Cam 46 .pdf

EWP Cam 47.pdf

EWP Cam 48.pdf

EWP Cam 49.pdf

EWP Cam 10.pdf

EWP Cam 11.pdf

EWP Cam 13.pdf

Hi Paul , please use the Windows Snipping tool in Accessories and post images direct to the thread , not PDF's that people need to Download. You can also export jpgs from any camera view and post them.....

Wall Elevations Cameras will ignore some walls (railings) if that checkbox is ON in the Camera's DBX

image.thumb.png.ee6e303160c931e848d4b151ec64895a.png

• Upvote 1

Hi Mick,  Thank you for the quick response.  The snip shows the wall I need to create a wall elevation from.  As you can see, the glass wall/door from the reception area and the doors from the opposite hallway are seen.  There are actually walls and cabinets in the way as you can see in EWP Cam FP.  I have made sure the camera's are set up right and saved, restarted, gone through layer properties, etc....I can't figure out how four cameras pointing in four directions could completely ignore walls and room content that's visible in cameras looking from within those rooms looking out.  Camera's looking in the opposite direction of 46,47,48, and 49 as well as all other cameras in plan do not have this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1165969831_EWPCam46.thumb.png.97c8faa08ffd0dc68ee947932dba7e6b.png

EWP Cam FP.png

EWP Cam 47.png

EWP Cam 48.png

EWP Cam 49.png

EWP Cam 10.png

EWP Cam 11.png

EWP Cam 15.png

31 minutes ago, PorkRibs said:

Hi Mick,  Thank you for the quick response.  The snip shows the wall I need to create a wall elevation from.  As you can see, the glass wall/door from the reception area and the doors from the opposite hallway are seen.  There are actually walls and cabinets in the way as you can see in EWP Cam FP.  I have made sure the camera's are set up right and saved, restarted, gone through layer properties, etc....I can't figure out how four cameras pointing in four directions could completely ignore walls and room content that's visible in cameras looking from within those rooms looking out.  Camera's looking in the opposite direction of 46,47,48, and 49 as well as all other cameras in plan do not have this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1165969831_EWPCam46.thumb.png.97c8faa08ffd0dc68ee947932dba7e6b.png

EWP Cam FP.png

EWP Cam 47.png

EWP Cam 48.png

EWP Cam 49.png

EWP Cam 10.png

EWP Cam 11.png

EWP Cam 15.png

Be best to attach the Plan file for weirdness like this , let another pair of eyes have a look around for you....

Has to be less than 25mb and closed when you attach it as Chief locks the File when it is Open.

M.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PorkRibs said:

Hi, Thanks.  

Not sure how any .plan file of any substance could be smaller than 25MB.  Mine isn't complete and it's 49.9MB.  Any suggestions on how to make smaller for this purpose?

Thanks again,
Paul

Zipping the File is the usual way ( remove images and pdf and anything we don't nees etg landscaping /exteriors......but even that is not always enough , in which case People use Dropbox or GoogleDrive usually, OneDrive would work too.

did you try uploading the 49mb file? I know there have been complaints in the past , but not sure if they upped it to 50mb or not? (used to be 10mb)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PorkRibs said:

Righton...Thanks Kbird1.  Yep, tried...it's still at 25MB.  I will get to work on zipping soon.  Dang, didn't have this in the schedule today.  

Thanks for the help.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I appreciate it.

Paul

Just make a public folder on one of your Cloud Accounts , copy the File there and post the link to the file , someone posted a 149mb file yest. with no issues this way....

M.

• Upvote 1

Success!!  The zipped file is only 17MB.

Little background;  I am just a rookie developer doing the tenant infill prints for a commercial structure I'm building.  My wife's business is the main tenant and, as you'll see in certain plan views, there is an extra 1500sf for another tenant.  I used Chief to build my house 9 years ago and took the leap into a commercial venture. The verdict is still out on whether it was a good decision. I have an architect and subsequent engineers doing the shell, foundation, roof trusses, civil, etc.  I am only compiling prints for the interior walls, ceilings, millwork, finish, etc.  Thus why the exterior and shell haven't been and won't be developed further.  I was in the process of sending some wall/cabinet elevations to layout when I ran into this issue.

Some of the views and layers are for the whole building and some only show the tenant infill.  I created a plan view for just about everything I've done and matched it with a layer set.  The 'EWP Cabinets' plan view is the one I'm using to send wall elevation cameras to layout.  I tested the 'disappearing walls/room content' in many other plan views and turned on and off layers in each....same results.  I hope you guys have some suggestions.

The Camera 46 wall elevation (next to the 207 Hall label) is the only one I need to get fixed. It shows the glass wall and door of the reception area behind the cabinets.  It doesn't show the wall the cabinets are mounted on.  If you look at Callouts 47,48, and 49 located around the hallway...they all look right through all the walls of the Lab, Sterilization, and Imaging rooms.  All others cameras are fine. 

Thanks guys for any time you take looking at this next week!  I appreciate any/all help.....from anyone.

Have a great weekend,

Paul

SW_Villa_West_25a.plan.zip

17 hours ago, PorkRibs said:

The Camera 46 wall elevation (next to the 207 Hall label) is the only one I need to get fixed. It shows the glass wall and door of the reception area behind the cabinets.  It doesn't show the wall the cabinets are mounted on.  If you look at Callouts 47,48, and 49 located around the hallway...they all look right through all the walls of the Lab, Sterilization, and Imaging rooms.  All others cameras are fine. 

Took a while to find you are working with Invisible walls turned Off ( not a good idea really) and there was one 4ft to the left of Camera 46 messing things up, and as I couldn't figure why it was there I deleted it and the Wall in Cam 46 came back.... if you don't want to see the glass doors backclip the view at 72" approx like below.

BTW.....the invisible wall did not want to delete for some reason *** , so I switched the Hall Walls including behind the cabinets to frame 3 1/2 type , then it deleted , so I switched the walls back to Int.4. Not 100% sure why that worked , it was just a hunch.

as a side note the computer symbol has a weird anomaly sticking out the side off it's CAD Block, opening the symbol and regenerating the CAD Block fixes it.

*** see below I now think it was the Auto Island Room Connection***

image.thumb.png.6bcb48d1f03e7359a34a9ca4d211cc84.png

image.thumb.png.b9535be534558a68b6b3b372d34fd041.png

• Upvote 1

Edit: as Mick states it seems to be related to the wall divider.

I think this is the issue. The only area that you are having difficulties are the three rooms surrounded by a continuous hall way, as this is an enclosed room floating within another closed room CA has placed an invisible room divider to link these rooms back to the surrounding/enclosing hall way walls. For some reason the wall elevation camera is not recognizing these walls as being there. It sees the furnishing and all of the surrounding/enclosing hall way walls. If  I draw a solid wall to that across the hall way then the wall elevation camera sees the walls. No idea as to how to fix it but it seems to be related to the room divider.

Edit: I tried a new blank plan just four exterior walls with a square room floating in the middle. Wall Elevation camera did not see the walls.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Edit: as Mick states it seems to be related to the wall divider.

I think this is the issue. The only area that you are having difficulties are the three rooms surrounded by a continuous hall way, as this is an enclosed room floating within another closed room CA has placed an invisible room divider to link these rooms back to the surrounding/enclosing hall way walls. For some reason the wall elevation camera is not recognizing these walls as being there. It sees the furnishing and all of the surrounding/enclosing hall way walls. If  I draw a solid wall to that across the hall way then the wall elevation camera sees the walls. No idea as to how to fix it but it seems to be related to the room divider.

Edit: I tried a new blank plan just four exterior walls with a square room floating in the middle. Wall Elevation camera did not see the walls.

Nice find Graham .....I did not think about the Auto Island Room connection ( even when I couldn't delete it :) ...doh! ) , when I changed the Wall Type to see if we had a weird Wall definition , I also dragged the wall around/over the existing Hall Wall as well and I am guessing that broke the auto connection now, as I used one continuous wall from left to right as seen in the pic. above....( no break at LH Hallway where E30/49 Cams are)

• Upvote 1

The Island Room does seem to be the Issue...... I turned off the Island room connections (Alt-Q) and then pulled the Imaging Rm Hall wall over to the thickened Surgery Rm wall (blocking E30 Hallway) and put in a Doorway instead and the Wall Shows in the Wall Elevation Camera Again.

So I redrew the walls around the Island room and used Doorways instead of openings and that Room and the Halls , now show as separate Rooms too.

image.thumb.png.a39a95adf527ff45d6b82c340a8d8ba3.pngimage.thumb.png.ffc9cf92dae16b1ff301ef66d4ac7f26.pngimage.thumb.png.6a0d41f4c702b8f8ada754ac361e0abf.png

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Nice find Graham .....I did not think about the Auto Island Room connection ( even when I couldn't delete it :) ...doh! ) , when I changed the Wall Type to see if we had a weird Wall definition , I also dragged the wall around/over the existing Hall Wall as well and I am guessing that broke the auto connection now, as I used one continuous wall from left to right as seen in the pic. above....( no break at LH Hallway where E30/49 Cams are)

Thanks but you were on the right track to begin with. Yes, I tried deleting it also. I think Eric's suggestion to just use a Cross Section Elevation and crop is likely the best solution.

What's strange is that I've never noticed this before. The same type of room divider is used all the time when a staircase opening is created and the staircase is out in the room. I know on these I usually use a Cross Section Elevation as I want to see how it penetrates the floor above. But even so, I use the Wall Elevation all the time, I'm certain that in some of those the staircase is in the view, never noticed the wall surfaces gone. Will need to check this out a bit further.

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

The Island Room does seem to be the Issue...... I turned off the Island room connections (Alt-Q) and then pulled the Imaging Rm Hall wall over to the thickened Surgery Rm wall (blocking E30 Hallway) and put in a Doorway instead and the Wall Shows in the Wall Elevation Camera Again

image.thumb.png.a39a95adf527ff45d6b82c340a8d8ba3.png

I did something similar, tried a door and also made a glass wall so it would not show. These worked but if in the room definition you have moldings turned on then they show up just floating the air.

27 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I did something similar, tried a door and also made a glass wall so it would not show. These worked but if in the room definition you have moldings turned on then they show up just floating the air.

Are you talking about in this plan or your test plan? as I don't see anything "floating"  , I also redrew ALL the walls of theIsland room and put in 100" high , no casing , Doorways into that area too though, maybe that is the difference?

***I also deleted the angled Room divider inside the Island Room area

OSB flooring in a Vet Clinic has me wondering though :)

image.thumb.png.7b7b2d24b11c221bd983f5d076d10ebd.png

M.

This is one issue where I think people fight the software way too much.  Super easy to just use an elevation camera and mask the view as necessary.  The wall elevation cameras are great for some things, but as with any other tool they have their limitations.  Just use the right tool for the job and save all the headache.  To speed up the process, I have a few generic CAD masks in my library...

1226258466_Step1.thumb.png.e253357cb7de3e729a4534fc5a3d3111.png705272851_Step2.thumb.jpg.491784661026c2ef0462b6cedc416914.jpg1372215816_Step3.thumb.jpg.cd5a279f74c32f9d9377c4bbf714d810.jpg

Spend a ton of time forcing a wall elevation to work, or just mask it, I guess it's up to you. 

• Upvote 1

Mick - This does the job, draw a standard wall to connect the floating room, delete the room divider, open up a Wall Elevation, click on the wall you just drew and reduce it's height and drag it above the ceiling drywall line, put it up in the joist space. Room looks correct, hall looks correct, Moldings look correct, Wall Elevation is correct and 3D camera views are correct. You can even make it invisible and your views remain intact and the invisible wall definition shows correctly on the correct floor.

30 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Spend a ton of time forcing a wall elevation to work, or just mask it, I guess it's up to you. 

I fully understand and appreciate your very valid point.

I take on these things as I'm highly intrigued when it comes to problem solving, find it's a great way to learn. Once you solve a problem you rarely forget what you learned. I find it a great way to further understand the software and explore features that I do not commonly use. There are many times where understanding what can't be done helps one to understand what can be done.

• Upvote 1