Ceiling Objects Issue

Chloe1Casey

I am going to send my file to tech support but I first wanted to see if anyone has had this issue.  I have a plan with multiple manual shed roofs. Some of the rooms have the ceiling being the bottom of the sloped roof and some have an automatic flat ceiling. I have lights and other ceiling fixtures throughout the plan and everything was fine. I just noticed recently that all objects that are attached to the flat ceilings are appearing exactly 5.5" (the exact height of my ceiling rafters) higher than they should which is obviously at the bottom side of the sheetrock in both camera and elevation views. This is ONLY happening in the rooms with the automatic flat ceiling, the objects in the rooms where the ceiling is the bottom of the sloped shed roof are fine. I can manually fix the problem by going into each affected object and changing the ceiling offset from 0" to 5.5". This is obviously a short term fix but I need to figure out what is going on. This is happening in multiple rooms with multiple fixtures. When I have the exact same fixture in the two types of rooms (sloped or flat ceiling) only the fixtures in the flat ceiling rooms are affected.

39 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Usually a good idea to post the Plan File if you want answers to weirdness like this

M.

Normally I would but this file is HUGE and I was hoping to not have to go through the exercise of stripping a lot of stuff out to make it small enough.  I was hoping that someone had just experienced this and immediately knew the answer. If not, I will definitely post the file.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Chloe1Casey said:

I was hoping that someone had just experienced this and immediately knew the answer. If not, I will definitely post the file.  Thanks!

Your problem is very difficult to follow based on nothing more than a written description.  If that's all it took than we wouldn't be using Chief right?  We would just be using Word to type up our construction docs :)

Anyway, a plan is best, but at least a screenshot or 2.  There are any number of variables or combinations that could affect your situation including but not limited to roof plane structure settings, ceiling plane structure settings, room ceiling finish and structure settings, which floor your fixtures are drawn on, what the symbol settings for your fixtures are (including origin offsets), whether your fixtures have been blocked or not, etc. etc.

18 minutes ago, Chloe1Casey said:

Normally I would but this file is HUGE and I was hoping to not have to go through the exercise of stripping a lot of stuff out to make it small enough.  I was hoping that someone had just experienced this and immediately knew the answer. If not, I will definitely post the file.  Thanks!

25mb if Forum max.,  zipping it will help too, depending on what you have in the Plan.  PDFs and any images could be removed though ( use a SaveAs copy and make sure it is closed in Chief when you attach it.)

35 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

25mb if Forum max.,  zipping it will help too, depending on what you have in the Plan.  PDFs and any images could be removed though ( use a SaveAs copy and make sure it is closed in Chief when you attach it.)

I stripped out everything but the envelope and the ceiling lights/fixtures. In the rooms with the sloped ceiling (where the roof is the ceiling) everything is fine. In the rooms with the flat ceiling the lights are 5.5" above the ceiling. The fixtures that show correct in my plan only look that way because I gave them a 5.5" offset.

House - Stripped Small.plan

Not quite sure but if you delete a shed roof plane you can see that the ceiling plane in the rooms is lower than the wall height. Seems that the fixtures are in line with the wall height. Did you make some adjustment that has the ceiling lower than the actual walls top height?

Edit - I'm referring to the exterior wall heights versus the interior room wall heights. Seems that it is using the higher exterior walls to define the ceiling height versus that of the individual rooms within.

4 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Not quite sure but if you delete a shed roof plane you can see that the ceiling plane in the rooms is lower than the wall height. Seems that the fixtures are in line with the wall height. Did you make some adjustment that has the ceiling lower than the actual walls top height?

Graham, not that I know of. 

I am enclosing a new plan. It has only the lights in the problems areas. If the light looks correct in the elevation view, it is only because I forced it by making the ceiling offset 5.5".

House - Stripped Small.plan

6 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here's a pic.

354256086_Untitled7.thumb.jpg.ab8fdf430f2a4ea281e1c00eb2f18804.jpg

Thanks Graham, hopefully that will help people see what I am talking about.  The reason that those wall heights are taller than the ceiling heights is because those walls are set to balloon above the floor to the floor above.

3 minutes ago, Chloe1Casey said:

Thanks Graham, hopefully that will help people see what I am talking about.  The reason that those wall heights are taller than the ceiling heights is because those walls are set to balloon above the floor to the floor above.

I think that's the problem, it is using the ballooned walls when calculating the ceiling height. If you do an elevation you can see that the fixtures are locating exactly in line with those walls minus the 1/2" ceiling drywall.

Thanks Graham!

Is this how the program should work? Am I doing ballooned walls correctly? I am trying to make the framing correct and I want the framing to balloon where I have indicated with a ledgerboard to hold the ceiling rafters.  This has been a VERY complex roof, wall, ceiling design for me to figure out since I have that very complex wall, ceilings, roof in the long main hallway on the bedroom wing.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Open this wall and uncheck Hang Floor Platform Above On Wall...

WALL.png

Michael, you are right! Changing that one wall fixes it in the whole plan.  :-) That is definitely a bug. I could see it affecting the adjacent areas of the plan but not the entire thing.  That is my problem wall as it has an interior lower half, an exterior upper half, a sloped roof/ceiling on one side, and a flat ceiling on the other side. I cannot get it to frame how I want or to show the right materials in the right areas (automatically that is, without making manual adjustments to the material areas). Hopefully 11 will fix this.  :-)  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Michael is correct, it's actually the "Hang Floor Platform Above on Wall" that is the Culprit.

The problem is that when I do that, then I lose the ledgerboard for the flat ceiling half bath that hangs off it to the south. Obviously proper light fixture positioning in my entire plan is more important than one ledgerboard.  ;-)

On 1/25/2019 at 12:08 PM, Chloe1Casey said:

Michael, you are right! Changing that one wall fixes it in the whole plan.  :-) That is definitely a bug. I could see it affecting the adjacent areas of the plan but not the entire thing.  That is my problem wall as it has an interior lower half, an exterior upper half, a sloped roof/ceiling on one side, and a flat ceiling on the other side. I cannot get it to frame how I want or to show the right materials in the right areas (automatically that is, without making manual adjustments to the material areas). Hopefully 11 will fix this.  :-)  Thanks.

You're welcome Michael,  if you haven't already however, I would still definitely recommend you send it in to tech support just to make sure they're aware of it. 

By the way, I sent you a PM offering a little one-on-one time on-the house to see if I could help you figure it out, but since you posted the plan I just spent that time scouring over your plan on my own instead.  It actually took a fair amount longer than I would have thought to fish that one down.  Glad we at least found something though : )

9 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You're welcome Michael,  if you haven't already however, I would still definitely recommend you send it in to tech support just to make sure they're aware of it. 

By the way, I sent you a PM offering a little one-on-one time on-the house to see if I could help you figure it out, but since you posted the plan I just spent that time scouring over your plan on my own instead.  It actually took a fair amount longer than I would have thought to fish that one down.  Glad we at least found something though : )

Yes, I am usually pretty savvy with CA and will just spend the necessary amount of time trying to figure the problem out on my own (as well as search for previous forum entries). This one had me totally perplexed and I had never experienced anything like it before.

I submitted it to tech support on Friday along with the discovered "problem/solution" so that hopefully they can fix it for X11 and I can get my ledger board back.  ;-)