add ceiling material to outside porch

wolfrem68

I have nearly completed a pole barn drawing, 30 x 40 with a covered porch of 30 x 12 on the front. I figured out how to add the ceiling purlins to the porch but now can not get the ceiling of the porch to accept the material. I plan to cover the entire structure with standing seam material on 2 x 4 purlins. 

6 hours ago, wolfrem68 said:

I have nearly completed a pole barn drawing, 30 x 40 with a covered porch of 30 x 12 on the front. I figured out how to add the ceiling purlins to the porch but now can not get the ceiling of the porch to accept the material. I plan to cover the entire structure with standing seam material on 2 x 4 purlins. 

Always best to add the Plan File to the Post Steve , especially when doing stuff , not quite the "norm" in CA.

M.

I see a ceiling Steve , but ithe Surface isn't defined properly , you have two layers of brown standing seam as the material

Should i be seeing something different ?

not sure what the concrete curb in the door is doing there?

image.thumb.png.0493c8616e7fb9b88e28e8e7b4d72d5d.png

On 1/24/2019 at 6:58 PM, wolfrem68 said:

Had a look at your Plan again tonight Steve and it look like there was a bad Wall corner connection at the top Right of the main building , so I fixed that and extended the Porch area Ceiling purlins out a bit ( there seemed to be a Gap in ceiling) and deleted the ceiling structure and added the 1 1/2" layer to the Ceiling Finish as CS recommended and all now seems to work as it should for that ceiling.

I think the Conc. curb was just some conc. Ground beams that had lost there reference height so I set them back to -4" so they were under the slab.

Played with your Roof and Wall standing Seam Material too as it wasn't displaying correctly as Standing seam too.

Hopefully this look a bit better now.....

Steve's Pole Barn_MHD Ceiling.plan

Kbird1,

You know how annoying the little things are. I am practicing on drawing my new car port and it is so simple is completely frustrates me. I draw the trusses adding them to top plates at 10' ht. Looking at them in 3 d they show to be below the top plate. Cannot figure out how to correct. If you have time an you explain what I am doing wrong. 

Thanks,

Steve

car port_2019_01_29.plan

16 hours ago, wolfrem68 said:

Kbird1,

You know how annoying the little things are. I am practicing on drawing my new car port and it is so simple is completely frustrates me. I draw the trusses adding them to top plates at 10' ht. Looking at them in 3 d they show to be below the top plate. Cannot figure out how to correct. If you have time an you explain what I am doing wrong. 

Thanks,

Steve

car port_2019_01_29.plan

Your Carport is set to 129 1/2" high so what is supposed to be 10'?  I see the 2x10 beams are at 120" to the Top is that supposed to be the ceiling height too ?

Get used to setting up all your defaults as best you can 1st in each plan,before drawing, as it looks like you built the Trusses when the Room Ceiling height was still set at 9' not 10' , so now they are 20" +/- low at 129 1/2" so I think the issue is the same as the Pole Barn.....

........you haven't Marquee Selected ALL the Trusses and checked the Force Rebuild button after changing the Room height.......

.............you have to do this every time you change anything as Trusses are not Automatically reframed (rebuilt) in CA....at least not yet...

You also have locked the Roof Planes and turned off Auto Rebuild which I can't see any reason for, as with a simple roof like this. There is really no reason to draw manual roof planes... as in this case we also want to check the Trusses box in the build roof DBX so they build correctly over the top plate without a birdsmouth. I usually go Auto and then use Manual if and when needed myself, otherwise I let the software do the work, at least at 1st ...till it can't figure it out...

*** just noticed your lower wall ( as viewed in plan) is not under the outer 2x10 beam like the Upper wall in the Plan , which causes the Trusses to not look even compared to the beams in a framing view.

image.thumb.png.ec2108efcef679eaf2888a592e96acf5.png

Steve, you may have caught this already (if you didn't intend for it to be this way) but you post don't line up with each other. A quick way to fix it would be to group select the ones you need to line up, then select center object tool and move your mouse over the post you want to center up on and left click that will line them up with each other.

Steve's carport.pdf

(Correction) I tried group select on the post on the plan south and selected center and left clicked the posts on the plan north side but that didn't work. So you'll find it easier to select each one individually and line them up one at a time but that won't take any time.