Changing foundation to pony wall brings back invisible wall on porch

rockyshepheard

Dollars to doughnuts Chief created an attic wall to "fill in" the gap between the top of the pony wall and the roof baseline. I suspect your porch isn't defined as a room. If you make the porch a room (with railings or invisible wall), then Chief won't build the attic wall.

Sorry, I didn't notice that you'd attached the plan file. The problem is that the railing wall that defines the porch isn't aligned with the stem wall below, so when you make the stem wall a pony wall the upper portion of the pony wall extends to the porch ceiling above. The easy solutions are to either 1) align the railing wall above with the stem wall below, or 2) select the upper pony wall and drag it down to your desired height.

Thanks. Interesting.

The foundation is auto generated based on the location of the porch wall. I wonder, then, why CA did not align them. Although, in the excellent video I am watching on this particular house, there is a -4 offset from the foundation. Could that be the cause?

So, is pulling down / pulling up a wall an 'amateur move' or one I should keep in the toolbox for its expedient results? I'm trying to assimilate the best techniques of folks in the forum.

Thanks!

Open up your wall, select wall type, change the main wall type from siding 6 to 8" concrete stem. What is happening is that the foundation wall is not properly defined as a pony wall when you generated the roof. The roof generates fine as the foundation wall is defined as an 8" Concrete Stem Wall. When you go back and change it to a pony wall you need to notice that CA changed the main wall type to Siding-6 and made the lower wall type 8" Concrete Stem Wall. You just need to change the upper wall to 8" Concrete Stem Wall and all should be good.

• Upvote 1

So, is pulling down / pulling up a wall an 'amateur move' or one I should keep in the toolbox for its expedient results?

Yes and yes.  Many new users resort to editing wall heights because they don't know how to use the other tools properly.  For example, they don't know how to adjust room heights to get the results they want,  That said, there are many other situations where editing the wall heights is exactly what you need to do.  For example, when creating a stepped foundation.

Just my 2 cents worth.  I''ll let the more experienced users handle the other construction details.

Rocky - When you convert a single wall to a pony wall, CA assumes that you wish to add an additional wall on top of the existing. It makes the lower pony wall type the original wall type designation. It then checks the default pony wall settings for the upper portion, in your case the default is siding 6. CA uses this for the upper portion of the pony wall. Siding 6 will be treated as an above grade wall and therefore when the roof builds it will automatically generate the wall fills to the roof.

You need to either manually change the upper pony wall main wall layer type after you click pony wall or go to the Defaults, Walls, Pony Wall and change it there.

58 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

It is defined as a porch. Does that count as a room?

9 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

49 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Foundation wall shouldnt be touched if I understand correctly.

the upper wall with the columns should be changed to a pony wall...very rarely do I ever touch the foundation wall

Graham is right , you just didn't notice that CA had changed the upper Wall to the Default exterior Wall type , ( never understood why CA assumes the original wall is to be the pony wall portion auto) but I didn't find a Concrete Stem wall with a Brick face in your plan either to use as the lower Portion , so I made one and is seems to work fine.... set to 60" in the pic

image.thumb.png.48d8835fcb6e322a93a35d67a921a112.png

5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Mick - I think the assumption is that when one converts an existing wall to a pony wall that one wishes to add another wall on top of the original(existing). As such the original wall becomes the lower portion and a new upper wall is placed on top.

I think you are right , maybe it's just me but it is nearly ALWAYS the other was around for me..... eg adding a Stone face 36" etc ...so I always have to switch it back, I guess I just do it now without thinking as I know it's going to happen....

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I think you are right , maybe it's just me but it is nearly ALWAYS the other was around for me..... eg adding a Stone face 36" etc ...so I always have to switch it back, I guess I just do it now without thinking as I know it's going to happen....

Yeah, they had a 50/50 chance on that one, some wish the insertion to be below the existing while others expect it to be above. Maybe they should have added a check box "Insert Above" or "Insert Below". That would have also acted as a warning flag as to what was going to happen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Yeah, they had a 50/50 chance on that one, some wish the insertion to be below the existing while others expect it to be above. Maybe they should have added a check box "Insert Above" or "Insert Below". That would have also acted as a warning flag as to what was going to happen.

Yeah a toggle or a check box for always lower wall or something would be nice ...for me at least.... , it's always been one of those little pet peeves for me in CA.

• Upvote 1