Cad Tools Again

Nicinus

Go to solution Solved by GerryT,

So I have this rather odd shape, with the bottom a half circle curve whereas the upper is created of two curves for a previous shape design. I would now like to clean it up by deleting one of the two upper curve segments, and create another half circle, which I can't seem to figure out how to do?

Terrain feature

The edit object parts tool did not as I would have expected let me choose segments either, and Chief does not seem to have a way to delete individual anchor points beyond moving them on top of each other.

How do I delete a segment?

I think you are having trouble because it is a Terrain Feature and not just a polyline.

Use the Convert To Plain Polyline on the Edit menu (while it is selected) and then you should be able to delete one of the arcs.

Join in back up and you can reconvert it to a Terrain Feature 

Now I really can't seem to figure out how to deduct the space I was modifying above. Please have a look at the picture, it is kind of a loop on the driveway and previously selecting the road would respect the 'hole' in the center but I can't figure out how I did that after I had to convert it to a polyline in order to modify it's size? I've also defined it as a terrain feature floating on top, but that will screw up my driveway area calculations.

Road

I would also like to add curbs, how do I add curbs to a specific road segment after it is created? If I add a curb it is added to all sides but I don't want it where the driveway goes into the garage. Can't seem to figure it out and the manual is no help.

I played around with road splines but as you say it does not seem to be possible to do this in a precise way, and I need to show radiuses etc that makes sense.

Isn't there a way to create a shape for the driveway and the convert it to a road somehow and have a hole for planting, etc?

• Solution

polyline subtraction seems to work. Draw your polyline shape and convert to polyline solid then to road perimeter. draw your circle (hole) where you want and convert it to polyline solid.Leave as polyline but then subtract it from the road. Seems to work on a quick check but may be some bugs? Side roads and sidewalks seem to connect in OK.

post-57-0-85523100-1410681510_thumb.jpg

polyline subtraction seems to work. Draw your polyline shape and convert to polyline solid then to road perimeter. draw your circle (hole) where you want and convert it to polyline solid.Leave as polyline but then subtract it from the road. Seems to work on a quick check but may be some bugs? Side roads and sidewalks seem to connect in OK.

I finally got this method to work after messing it up for myself for quite a while. Since I had spent time on the shape I didn't want to recreate it and instead created a scrap layer and created a copy. Unfortunately this copy was still generating a hole even if it wasn't visible. This brings back that old discussion with having different walls in the same location, not a good thing for a BIM program. I thought I had converted it to a polyline CAD item, but somehow it was still seen as a road by Chief.

Anyway, after cleaning this up I got to the point as you describe and I can adjust the curb for the hole individually. I then copied in place the hole, converted to polyline and finally converted to a terrain feature in order to manipulate the material in the hole. Thanks.

Select the road.

The last tool on the Edit toolbar is Create Hole.

This will create a hole in the road, including a curb , which has  it's own curb settings, independent of the road.

This one seems to be the most logical and perhaps simple way, but I could never get it to work. Whenever I clicked 'Create hole' and selected my polyline hole (regardless of it was solid or not) it created a little square hole instead?

This one seems to be the most logical and perhaps simple way, but I could never get it to work. Whenever I clicked 'Create hole' and selected my polyline hole (regardless of it was solid or not) it created a little square hole instead?

You are using the tool incorrectly.

It isn't designed to convert a polyline into a hole.

It is designed to create a hole.

The "little square hole" is THE hole, which you can then shape as you want.

ie

Select the road.

Select "Create Hole" from the edit menu.

You can then either click to create a small square hole. or click an drag a larger hole.

You can then shape the hole as needed.