Importing an OBJ file with MTL file as well

shanecarman

I recently purchased a custom model from a model designer.  They sent me the .OBJ file along with an .MTL file.  I was told the .MTL file is the materials for the .OBJ file.  I was told the materials for the .OBJ will load in the libarary and I can then apply them to the model in any program I use, such as Chief Architect.  So far, I can open and view the actual. OBJ model, but it has no materials.  Can anyone point me in the direction on how to fix this or if it can even work in Chief Architect?

Thank you!

I'm not familiar with the file types, but while you can import the .OBJ file, I see no option in the import menu to import the .MTL file. I would go back to your Model Designer for help.  I think all material files have to be of the .calib or .calibz type. Again, I'm not a CA guru here. Hopefully this is the WRONG answer, and one of the real CA guru's will jump on and correct me.

From Help:

OBJ Files

Material definitions for most .obj files are saved in a separate file with the .mtl file extension. If such a file exists, the materials associated with the .obj file display in the list on the left side of the Materials panel of its specification dialog.

If Chief Architect does not receive material definition information in an accompanying .mtl file, default material properties are assigned.

Material definitions for .obj files can also include texture information in the form of image files (.jpg, .png, etc).

In order to properly import an .obj file, Chief Architect needs the .obj file, the .mtl file, and any referenced texture files. If a texture file is not available, the material it is associated with is created without a texture.

The material definitions associated with an imported .obj symbol are not available for use by other objects in Chief Architect until that symbol has been placed into a plan. The associated texture files are then copied to the user’s Textures folder. See Chief Architect Data.

11 hours ago, CJSpud said:

From Help:

OBJ Files

Material definitions for most .obj files are saved in a separate file with the .mtl file extension. If such a file exists, the materials associated with the .obj file display in the list on the left side of the Materials panel of its specification dialog.

If Chief Architect does not receive material definition information in an accompanying .mtl file, default material properties are assigned.

Material definitions for .obj files can also include texture information in the form of image files (.jpg, .png, etc).

In order to properly import an .obj file, Chief Architect needs the .obj file, the .mtl file, and any referenced texture files. If a texture file is not available, the material it is associated with is created without a texture.

The material definitions associated with an imported .obj symbol are not available for use by other objects in Chief Architect until that symbol has been placed into a plan. The associated texture files are then copied to the user’s Textures folder. See Chief Architect Data.

Thank you.  Where do I find the textures folder?  Thanks again.