Rendering techniques

Scottb

Need some Rendering advise.  I hate how its so dark and lights are spotty on ceiling and weird light reflection on floor.  I added a bunch of extra lights, but doesn't seem like it does anything.  

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott

1-22 kitchen.jpg

Also depends on what version of the program you're using. Different versions have different control of rendering.

Regardless, though, in my experience high quality rendering requires a LOT of trial and error until you figure out what works for you, especially when it comes to balancing a complex scene to your individual taste. I've spent hours tweaking renders that someone else might've thought was good. No magic button.

looks like it might be PBR ?  you need to add your version to your Sig. Scott....

have you seen this on PBR ?  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2426/physically-based-rendering-technique.html

if PBR set exposure to .3 ( from .18), Brightness to 75 and make auto lights 100 , not the default 8. And turn on Use Improved lighting.....

M.

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2019 at 6:03 PM, Scottb said:

Need some Rendering advise.  I hate how its so dark and lights are spotty on ceiling and weird light reflection on floor.  I added a bunch of extra lights, but doesn't seem like it does anything.  

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott

1-22 kitchen.jpg

The first thing you should do is set the height of your added lights to 60 inches +-, that should get rid of the pronounced light wash on the ceiling. To make the scene brighter, try switching on Photon Mapping (in the Advanced tab). If you go this route, be sure that you have a roof over the room you are rendering to avoid light leakage where the walls meet the ceiling. Another important factor is learning the functions of the Ambient Light settings (Lighting tab), I like to use Ambient Occlusion  settings of .5 - 3.5 as a starting point. The rest is just experimenting to learn the functions of the settings. There are several excellent videos on the Chief website which you should watch  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?default_tab=video&q=ray+tracing.

Once you start to understand the many settings in the Ray Trace DBX, you'll be able to create great looking renderings.

Eric

Nice looking kitchen, Scott, even in this dark state.

I'd like to tag on to what Eric, Chris, Kbird, and Eric have given you. After watching the videos, you'll see that you can adjust the Materials, to make a difference, too. Those white spots on the floor can be removed by making the floor less reflective by adjusting the roughness up. 

I have found that by turning on all lights to have 'show position in 3d' helps. Why? Because it shows which way the light is pointing and whether it is contained within the fixture. I thought that all the lights in the CA Libraries were good to go, but they are not. Some are Point that should be Spot and vice-versa. Spend some time on the cut-off angle and Drop-off Rate, too.

Right now, we don't have an easy way to soften shadows, so on a 5 light fixture, you may only want 1-2 to have shadows. You may want to soften lighting by using a very very light yellowish color. 

Each of us are finding our own favorite settings. I find some of the lighting fixtures have Lumens to lure nesting sea turtles to Montana! 

Again, that's a smart looking kitchen!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 12:21 PM, ericepv said:

be sure that you have a roof over the room you are rendering to avoid light leakage where the walls meet the ceiling.

I have light leakage no mater what I do. From doors, around cabinets (even on interior walls), around window frames, etc. 

I always thought it was because I am still using custom templates I made years ago with custom materials, custom wall types, etc., but after reading your post, I tried the default template that comes with Chief, and there's still light leaking around the doors and cabinets.

I simply cannot use photon mapping.

1 hour ago, brinkbart said:

I have light leakage no mater what I do. From doors, around cabinets (even on interior walls), around window frames, etc. 

I always thought it was because I am still using custom templates I made years ago with custom materials, custom wall types, etc., but after reading your post, I tried the default template that comes with Chief, and there's still light leaking around the doors and cabinets.

Will you please post your plan so we can take a look

17 minutes ago, Scottb said:

Found a great Video at https://www.chieftutor.net.  I signed up for his membership.  Definitely worth it.  Basically found out that my graphics card is junk.  Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas.  

It's one reason we suggest adding your Hardware Details to your Forum Signature..... especially when it comes to Raytracing or with X10 PBR views

4 hours ago, brinkbart said:

Make sure to add a Foundation too....... and draw a Full Room even for a small interior only reno.

A wrong wall definition , such as an interior wall used for exterior walls, I have also seen cause "light leakage" issues on Other's plans here on the Forum.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:23 AM, Scottb said:

Found a great Video at https://www.chieftutor.net.  I signed up for his membership.  Definitely worth it.  Basically found out that my graphics card is junk.  Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas.  

would encourage you to post your .plan file- easy to show you some quick improvements that way

On 2/4/2019 at 10:46 AM, Renerabbitt said:

Will you please post your plan so we can take a look

It was just a default Chief template. I drew a square room and placed a default door and default window. This was only for testing.

As someone else said, I may have to build a foundation under it as well. It's fine, I'll just revisit ray-tracing/photon mapping when it is easy and just works all the time. And when it's faster.

30 minutes ago, brinkbart said:

It was just a default Chief template. I drew a square room and placed a default door and default window. This was only for testing.

As someone else said, I may have to build a foundation under it as well. It's fine, I'll just revisit ray-tracing/photon mapping when it is easy and just works all the time. And when it's faster.

Or perhaps forget it and Use PBR.... definitively faster

Adjust your Light Sets"  see what you have them set at. 8, 10, etc. All might not be "turned" on plus your graphics card and driver may need to be updated to carry greater input when rendering. There is a great training video on this.

Also reflection on the floor is adjusted in the Materials Properties tool. Flooring may be set @ polished.