Adding terrain lowers unrelated object in the Z direction

rockyshepheard

Unrelated...as far as I know but the left column must have a connection for the terrain for this to happen.

1. When a terrain is added the left most column descends in the Z direction by about 40 units. I've seen this happen several times in other plans.

2. The porch is a bit too small for the pedestals I selected. What method is preferable for increasing in the x,y directions such that the pedestals fit well on top of the concrete porch?

1.jpg

2.jpg

pedestal falls.plan

40 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Unrelated...as far as I know but the left column must have a connection for the terrain for this to happen.

1. When a terrain is added the left most column descends in the Z direction by about 40 units. I've seen this happen several times in other plans.

2. The porch is a bit too small for the pedestals I selected. What method is preferable for increasing in the x,y directions such that the pedestals fit well on top of the concrete porch?

1.jpg

2.jpg

pedestal falls.plan

943673119_ELEVATIONREFERENCE.thumb.png.7e408544efaeb3d775aba8019911dbc8.png

CHECK THE OBJECTS ELEVATION REFERENCE

I think the problem is the fact that that post on the left side is not in the same plane as the one on the right, it's just overhangs the porch floor a bit more. Likely CA is seeing it as sitting on the terrain while it sees the other one as sitting on the porch. When you add the terrain it adjusts the one on the left but leaves the one on the right alone. Your settings elevation reference for these is "from finished floor", if the object is not predominantly on the finish floor but on the terrain then it will use the terrain. Just move the left post a bit more onto the porch like the right side one and all should be good.

Rocky -One thing that might help when working in CA is understanding that CA predominantly works/thinks in a similar manner/approach as would be done on a real construction site. For example, in the real world roofs are only constructed/installed once the required exterior walls have been put in place. CA's auto build roof function works on the same principle, it needs the walls before it can build the roof.

In your posted post plan the same principle applies, in the real world a properly sized porch would be constructed first and then the support posts would be constructed/placed on top. In your plan the porch is undersized for the posts as they overhang the porch. If the porch had of been adjusted properly then when you add the terrain everything would have been fine.

Thinking like a builder and how things are constructed in the real world can go a long way in helping one construct/design in CA.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Rocky -One thing that might help when working in CA is understanding that CA predominantly works/thinks in a similar manner/approach as would be done on a real construction site. For example, in the real world roofs are only constructed/installed once the required exterior walls have been put in place. CA's auto build roof function works on the same principle, it needs the walls before it can build the roof.

In your posted post plan the same principle applies, in the real world a properly sized porch would be constructed first and then the support posts would be constructed/placed on top. In your plan the porch is undersized for the posts as they overhang the porch. If the porch had of been adjusted properly then when you add the terrain everything would have been fine.

Thinking like a builder and how things are constructed in the real world can go a long way in helping one construct/design in CA.

Great tip! I'm watching the video CJSpud kindly mentioned and after I'll see how CA puts a roof on it. Thanks!

37 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Great tip! I'm watching the video CJSpud kindly mentioned and after I'll see how CA puts a roof on it. Thanks!

It's a great video, well worth watching.

One other comment, if you shoot your camera to see the underside of the porch roof you can see that things are not correct. The porch ceiling and roof soffits are not making proper connections. This is telling you that something somewhere is not right, maybe your invisible walls, room or roof. Ideally things like this should be sorted out and corrected before moving on with some other item. Underlying problems like this can result in other unexpected things happening down the road.

Do you mean like this?

On 1/20/2019 at 2:27 PM, Kbird1 said:

Your middle 10' dim is to surface on the left but to framing on the right......Set you temps dims to Surface too if this is the way you work normally, the issue with placing Dims is that the Temps Dims don't work IF aa manual or Auto Dim is already in place....

Exterior Dims with Auto refresh on may help you actually....

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

8 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

It's a great video, well worth watching.

One other comment, if you shoot your camera to see the underside of the porch roof you can see that things are not correct. The porch ceiling and roof soffits are not making proper connections. This is telling you that something somewhere is not right, maybe your invisible walls, room or roof. Ideally things like this should be sorted out and corrected before moving on with some other item. Underlying problems like this can result in other unexpected things happening down the road.

easy porch with columns.plan

connection issues.jpg

25 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Do you mean like this?

connection issues.jpg

easy porch with columns.plan

Yes. For some reason the foundation wall where what appears to be wood has it's type set as "Siding 6" while the other porch walls are defined as "Concrete".

When you move the camera around you will also see brick flashing through the porch concrete around the perimeter. We call this Z Fighting, it's when two differing materials are in exactly the same plane. CA does not know which one to display so it jumps around as the camera is moved. This is due to the fact that there is a custom counter top polyline around the porch leading edge and the assigned material is "burgundy brick", should be concrete to match the porch.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Yes. For some reason the foundation wall where what appears to be wood has it's type set as "Siding 6" while the other porch walls are defined as "Concrete".

When you move the camera around you will also see brick flashing through the porch concrete around the perimeter. We call this Z Fighting, it's when two differing materials are in exactly the same plan. CA does not know which one to display so it jumps around as the camera is moved. This is due to the fact that there is a custom counter top polyline around the porch leading edge and the assigned material is "burgundy brick", should be concrete to match the porch.

I think it is because I added the brick to the foundation/molding feature. Is that a bad thing to do? It was done in the video.

9 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

I think it is because I added the brick to the foundation/molding feature. Is that a bad thing to do? It was done in the video.

If you desire the porch edge to have a brick feature then you need to adjust the thickness so it is say 1/16" higher than the concrete porch. it will then be above the porches concrete plane and therefore be displayed properly without Z-Fighting.

59 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Steve used a Pony wall for his Brick.... on top of the Foundation Wall.... ie how it would be built in the Real World (ITRW).....