Roof Help

urwinenterprises

Go to solution Solved by urwinenterprises,

Hello I am having a hard time with the roof.  I have done a lot of research and all the examples on your site only shows a square or "L" shaped house.  I was wondering if you could help in a few areas.

1.  I need a roof peak to be in the center of a room due to the windows in the attic area, which the room has no ceiling.

2.  On the rear porch for some odd reason the ceiling is not up to where it needs to be.

3. In the same general area I have a roof edge sticking out.  I had to put a small hip there so the gable does not extend to the other side of the house.

4. How do you make eave from different roofs meet at a desired measurement, 16" is mine.

I have attached an excel file and the Chief file.

Thank you

question.plan

Tha plan you shared currently has no roof planes but to try to answer your questions I have  the following comments:

1.  I need a roof peak to be in the center of a room due to the windows in the attic area, which the room has no ceiling.

In order to have a symetric ridge between two baring walls, you make sure the ceiling heights of that space are the same height and that the roof pitches are set to the same pitch.

2.  On the rear porch for some odd reason the ceiling is not up to where it needs to be.

In your posted plan there is no porch

3. In the same general area I have a roof edge sticking out.  I had to put a small hip there so the gable does not extend to the other side of the house.

Since the plan you posted has no roofs, good or bad I cannot comment otherwise than to say that ceiling heights set in "Edit - Default Settings - Floor - Ceiling Height" and local room specification dialog box - Ceiling heights control whether roof eaves meet or not.

4. How do you make eave from different roofs meet at a desired measurement, 16" is mine.

I answered this in #3 above already

DJP

I do find that there are Roof Planes - but if I rebuild the Roof it's not the same.  Obviously, you have edited the Roof Planes without matching points.

The best way to create a Gable End, if you are going to rely on "Auto Roof" is to edit the Wall (Roof Tab) to specify that wall is a Gable End.  That hasn't been done on your Plan so Rebuild Roof Planes gives much different results than you are looking for

The Problem that I have with the auto roofs is that I get the wrong result.  I have used the "Make roof base polylines".  This has gotten me closer to the desired look.  The attached picture is when I have removed the polylines and do the automatic build roof.  Now in the picture I have the wall with the windows marked as a gable.  Why does it go all the way across to the other roof instead of stopping at that the end of it's own wall?

post-2143-0-66330100-1410472267_thumb.jpg

Urwin:

What are the spec's for this roof plan suppose to be?  For example, what overhangs are you looking for?  Why do you have roof baselines flapping out in the breeze?  They are suppose to be over the outer main layers of bearing walls.  Do you understand that when you mix roof pitches without changing something else, that the fascia tops will be at different elevations.  Simple geometry says they will be different.  Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with the roof planes for the small rear porch.  Is this roof going to be manually framed (parts/all) or trusses?

If you want to call me in a couple of hours, I will try to talk you through some of the roof editing needed on your model.  I don't think it will take too much work.

I played around with your plan and cleaned up the roof for you.  Not sure what you are trying to do with that porch on the rear so I just deleted those small roof planes and extended the 6:12 roof planes out over the rear porch.  I will leave the finishing touches for that area for you to do.  I am not sure about the great room roof being buildable the way I changed it ... I just cleaned up the roof to make it look pretty.

question.zip

Sorry out of the office today. CJSpud:

I know there are somethings that are not correct as a final drawing I was trying to get the desired shape before bringing back in the eves.  I have watched a bunch of videos on how to do roofs but they all seem to be on square or "L" shaped homes.  I tried different methods when I saved it last.  The thing is that I can change the roof but don't know how to patch the holes, if that makes since.  

The small porch on the back the home owner wanted a shorter porch roof so I was giving them a visual of what it would look like.  I know the posts were not in the correct area because I was moving that roof all over the place.

I know I had some drainage problem areas but that is where I really get into trouble, I just can not seem to fix the roofs when I start to move the roof planes around.

Chiefer: YES!!!  That is a much cleaner plan than I could ever come up with.  

Now the question to you both is how on earth do you do that?

Jintu that looks great thank you for getting the result that I need, unfortunately for me I still do not understand the "patching holes".  When I start doing that the roof looks like a Japanese cartoon hair piece.  

In post #8 I thought I broke the roof, but it stayed on the other side of the house.

But I will try some of your suggestions.

• Solution

Thank you for your help I am sure you have more to do than give me a step by step instruction.  You have helped me more than what I can find in the videos online.  I am sure just like any program, this program has more ways to draw things in many ways to get the result, and PRACTICE!!!  The more I mess with it the better I understand but I am not there yet.  Thank you all for all your help!