Chief to 3D printer

HamlinBC

Does anyone have any experience moving model out of Chief into a 3D printing model? It's my understanding that it needs to be an .STL file, (Or an OBJ file). We exported a model out of CA into an .stl file and have been told that the walls of the house show no thickness, by the company we are hiring to 3D print the model. When I import that same .stl file back into cheif it shows the walls have the normal thickness of the walls we draw with.

I have next to zero knowledge of 3D printing so any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

23 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Do a forum search. There was some chatter sometime back on this topic.

Thanks for the input, Ridge_Runner. I did do a real quick forum search before posting the question but It seemed like there weren't any definitive answers. I was hoping to bring the topic back to light and have it be caught by someone with some experience.

Thanks for taking the time.

• Upvote 1

I hope I didn't come across as terse - that was not the intent; just passing some information. I remember the topic being discussed. I think one of the problems at that time was the wall thickness not printing correctly; I don't know how far back the discussion was. It may have been a separate topic or a rabbit trail - who knows.

2 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I hope I didn't come across as terse - that was not the intent; just passing some information. I remember the topic being discussed. I think one of the problems at that time was the wall thickness not printing correctly; I don't know how far back the discussion was. It may have been a separate topic or a rabbit trail - who knows.

Dang..that's exactly the issue we're having!

I will keep trying to find it. Thank you!

Also, no..you did not come across as terse.

Worked for a few iterations with a local 3D print guy and he found the chief export was just not a workable solution. Tried going through all the export formats, .stl, .obj, .dae, .dwg - nothing worked, even went as far to try opening them in sketchup and then export again through sketchup. This helped a bit but wasn't perfect.

In the end, my guy found it was faster to model everything in his solid modeling software - since it was an 1/8" print the detail didn't have to be too intense. Still was pricy though - until this integration is seamless it's not worth it IMHO.

Chief, how about it? OR alternatively, allow for 3rd party plugins I'm sure some company would write an export plugin....

• 9 months later...
On 1/22/2019 at 7:16 PM, Chief16Designer said:

Can anyone recommend  a 3D printer?  looking to buy one  Thanks in advance 

I got a Prusa 3MKs with the MMU 2s multicolor.  I would suggest Prusa, since most everyone else out there tries to imitate them and use their parts. 

You should be fairly technically inclined and be ready to spend a lot of time getting used to the different materials, settings, speeds, adjustments, fine-tuning, etc....I spent my first month replicating Brio track parts and making and designing my own with Fusion 360.  I'm now ready to work on the more technical aspects of printing from CA.  Don't expect it to be that you plug it in, export from CA and off you go.  This will take many, many hours of time to do.  Up to everyone to know if you have the time or should simply pay others to do it for you.

Just did an experiment..... 1)took a plan and did a Full Perspective View......2)Exported as a DWG 3D Model..... 3)Brought the file into Rhinoercos 6 and asked that it covert wide polylines to surfaces, convert regions to curves, and leave mesh precision to auto and the model is in millimeters (it was ft and inches but in this case smaller is better for reproduction on 3D printer).....4)walls, roof, etc. are present as they should be but to save as a 3D STL or other 3D printable file it takes a lot of cleanup work to get rid of things that you don't want or need but it is possible.

kw

2019-11-21_14-49-18.jpg