Restore from UNDO file?

gobuildone

Greetings,

So I have a remodel I am attempting to draw of a old house with a 4 square Gambrel second floor.  No easy task, so the owner wants me to fit 4 bedrooms and 2 baths up there, but I am giving him options for 4 and just 3.  With the upstairs Within the gambrel (not under it)  the 4 corners are useless so space is tight.  I thankfully will not have to ever draw the roof.. I think.   So I drew the 4 bdr version and pushed to Layout page with first floor views etc. All is good.   ... then I Saved As..   three bedroom version plan file, altered the second floor to only be 3 bedrooms, pushed to (same) Layout so both the 3 bdr and 4 bdr floor plans are side by side.  looks great ..got them labeled, print to pdf and...crap  the layout has two 3 bdr floor plans side by side. 

I go look at the Layout and it now shows the same...  I pulled back up my original 4 bedroom plan file and it too was altered to become 3 bedrooms.   what the heck?   

So Idiot me.. I restore a back up of my 4 bedroom file and perfect.. it is now a 4 bedroom file again.     So I go to get my Layout and BOTH of the plan views are 4 bedrooms... and of course both plan files are now 4 bedrooms again.   and There are no .bak backup files with the 3 bedroom layout!!!  &^^%#$!&@%%!!!   and    $%##$*!!

Is there any way to recover from one of the UNDO files Chief writes as it lays down its trail of bread crumbs?   there seem to be many of those.

And I wonder if this has happened to anyone else?  I used to have  similar issues with Microsoft Access doing unwanted (system-wide) blanket changes to multiple databases at once back in Windows XP, and apparently it was a cache problem if you had files which began with the same name like pumpkin1.mdb    pumpkin2.mdb    pumpkinspice.mdb    pumpkinseeds.mdb,   etc...

Thanks for any help,

TP

53 minutes ago, gobuildone said:

Is there any way to recover from one of the UNDO files Chief writes as it lays down its trail of bread crumbs?   there seem to be many of those.

No Sorry......

However if you have Autosave on in Preferences you may have Open-able files in the Archive Folder which is in the Chief Data Folder in My Documents.

It sounds like your Layout Boxes are using the same View /plan somehow ?

Kbird1:   thanks for the reply.    No, the 2 Layout boxes each point to a different plan file; their just identical now.    It's just when I change one plan.. the other changes with it.   That would be convenient if I wanted to make identical changes across multiple files.. but in this case it stinks.   Yes, autosave is on, but when I reloaded my back up file with the one I needed... it re-wrote the other file as well so I ended up still with one plan.   I should have renamed one of the files and moved it into a different directory before I opened the backup, but I didn't realize what was going on.  At this point I'll just rename one of them something different and then save it and reboot my machine... then edit it.  

1 hour ago, gobuildone said:

It's just when I change one plan.. the other changes with it.

Hmmmmm I am just not sure how that could happen especially if the Plan Files are named differently... I am also not sure how the backup file overwrote the existing one unless you resaved it with the same name? 

Are there not copies still of the 3 bed and 4 bed variations in their respective Folders under Archives? all sounds very weird to me....

Mick.