Dimensioning so previously dim'd don't move

rockyshepheard

23 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

For the 24' 0 5/16 dim, I cannot select it by first selecting the vertical walls to its left or right.

That's because the dimension line is referencing markers.... for some reason. (?)

But what if I want the wall to its right to move?

The dimension line must reference the wall to use it to move the wall. Right now it's referencing markers... for some reason. Connect the dimension to the wall and you can then use the dimension to move the wall.

Also, top horiz dim total does not equal bottom horiz dim total. Off by 1/2".

That's because the dimensions are referencing different planes of the walls. When the dimensions all reference the same information they add up to the same.

To place exterior walls, I take my notes or whatever reference docs and draw the entire perimeter of the building, trying for a pretty close replication of the planview shape of everything.  This is the first step, and it is not the one where we are trying to get the walls all dead on.  Configuration is everything, dimensions come after.

When it is complete and closed, I pop on auto exterior dimensions.  My dimensioning is to the "building line," i.e., the exterior of the framing layer.

From there I just move walls using the dimensions to make the moves.  I try for whole inches (no fractions) on all the longer principal walls, and never want to go to a fraction less than 1/4" everywhere else.  The preference is to have the smallest fraction at 1/2".

Without seeing a video of what Rocky is fighting and not understanding, I've nothing else to offer.

I tend to use cad lines when I'm measuring a new house instead of any dimensioning tool. That way if I move a wall I still have all my other measurements in tact. I can just use the point to point tool to put the cad line back in place. They don't have numbers on them, but you can be as precise as you want with them. Just start a line at the right spot, open up the dbx, and enter the desired length. I want to credit Alaskan_Son, but am hesitant to do so in case I bastardized his idea lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1