Dimensioning so previously dim'd don't move

rockyshepheard

I am seeking further clarification on this topic. Here's my question.

The rule seems to be (select the line you want to move then select the dimension of the line whose length you're modifying.)

So in the example below if I want to lengthen C, I first select B then it B will move left wrt C.

But 

does the B moving left wrt C also take A with it or

does A length shorten wrt B to keep the start of A the same? I think it does.

If the latter do I need to multi-select both A and B first before selecting the dimension of C so both A and B will move to the left wrt C when I lengthen C?

If draw a selection box around A and B and then increase the length of C, I get a gap between B and C.

I'v had this problem since day one, even if work clockwise or counter-clockwise. I always have dims change on me.

dim.jpg

Might try drawing a rectangular poly line around the area you want to move, with the poly line selected, go to edit>edit area> visible area> transform/replicate in the direction you want. I did show you how to do this a while back.

36 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Might try drawing a rectangular poly line around the area you want to move, with the poly line selected, go to edit>edit area> visible area> transform/replicate in the direction you want. I did show you how to do this a while back.

Yes, but that isn't a normal dimensioning technique. That is for when you get yourself in a bind and is a a way out. 

If you have just created a new connected series of walls and begin dimensioning them do you normally have to do the poly line select and transform replicate technique? 

I thought you could just go around a loop and change one dimension after another.

Suggestion:

I believe it would be so simple for CA to add a 'right click-lock' to each section of wall...like this.

Create first wall section. Dimension it. Lock it.

Create section wall section. Dimension it. Lock it.

Create third wall section. Dimension it. Lock it.

Create last wall section. Dimension it. Lock it.

Then there could never be dimensions changing on you. 

Is the a video of someone fully dimensioning a house showing every step and leaving out none?

My dimensions change and my horizontal top nevers equal my horizontal bottom. 

And my vertical left never equals  my horizontal bottom.

If I could achieve this I could lock the layer and move on.

5 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Is the a video of someone fully dimensioning a house showing every step and leaving out none?

It's unlikely that any video is going to demonstrate every conceivable way of doing something, even the reference manual does not cover every possible way of doing something.

I'm not sure why you are having problems getting your walls accurately positioned/sized. We are all doing this everyday of the week, never have an issue.

23 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

My dimensions change and my horizontal top nevers equal my horizontal bottom. 

And my vertical left never equals  my horizontal bottom.

If I could achieve this I could lock the layer and move on.

Rocky, can you send me a plan showing this problem or post it here? I have an idea of something that might be throwing you off....at least sometimes.

5 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

I'v had this problem since day one, even if work clockwise or counter-clockwise. I always have dims change on me.

It's not about clockwise vs counterclockwise, its about start vs end. 

If you open up any wall DBX and look under the general tab, all walls are locked to their start by default, you can choose to lock their end or center.

Like Graham mentioned, many of us work every day in this program and have no issues with walls moving on us, which would point to a user error if the inverse is true.

Auto dimensioning as you work through a plan can substantially cut down on errors- especially if you set your program colors up in conjunction with your layer colors.

this for example has auto-interior dimensions on a layer that is very light grey, with the program selection color being bright pink. When I select a wall it lights up every dimension that can be modified in bright pink.

dimensioning.thumb.JPG.c00844f68b50be0da7ed53191de560d9.JPG

Here is a simple example. 

For the 24' 0 5/16 dim, I cannot select it by first selecting the vertical walls to its left or right. I can get to the dim only by first selecting the line itself. But what if I want the wall to its right to move?

Also, top horiz dim total does not equal bottom horiz dim total. Off by 1/2".

These are just two of the many issues preventing me from a clean layout, dimensioned correctly.

18 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

It's not about clockwise vs counterclockwise, its about start vs end. 

If you open up any wall DBX and look under the general tab, all walls are locked to their start by default, you can choose to lock their end or center.

Like Graham mentioned, many of us work every day in this program and have no issues with walls moving on us, which would point to a user error if the inverse is true.

Auto dimensioning as you work through a plan can substantially cut down on errors- especially if you set your program colors up in conjunction with your layer colors.

this for example has auto-interior dimensions on a layer that is very light grey, with the program selection color being bright pink. When I select a wall it lights up every dimension that can be modified in bright pink.

dimensioning.thumb.JPG.c00844f68b50be0da7ed53191de560d9.JPG

Par of the issue is that each wall segment has three exterior extents that could be dimensioned to. I have to zoom in to make sure I am on the right one but if I'm not I can't move it to the right one without zooming out again. Luckily for me I can afford to be off by a couple of inches but I'd love to be able to do it right.

At some point it becomes intuitive on what to click on to move what with Dimensions and most of the experienced Users obviously don't think about it a lot anymore but I found when I first started out i was better off to NOT close the loop , and leave the last wall out, not sure if that may help you or not?  Things have also changed in CA since then though ie we can now draw anti clockwise etc but in general I don't from habit since Auto reverse on walls is 100% infallible. We also have options on the move with Dims now....make sure you know what those Icons mean and turn on Wall Start and finish indicators if you haven't.

M.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Also, top horiz dim total does not equal bottom horiz dim total. Off by 1/2".

Your middle 10' dim is to surface on the left but to framing on the right......Set you temps dims to Surface too if this is the way you work normally, the issue with placing Dims is that the Temps Dims don't work IF aa manual or Auto Dim is already in place....

The 24' Dims is not located correctly either ...surface on the right , middle wall layer on the left...zoom in and check....

Exterior Dims with Auto refresh on may help you actually....

image.thumb.png.5c020fd5f4d080b9af208f1f7545dfd0.png

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Your middle 10' dim is to surface on the left but to framing on the right......Set you temps dims to Surface too if this is the way you work normally, the issue with placing Dims is that the Temps Dims don't work IF aa manual or Auto Dim is already in place....

I cannot accurately pick the right corner (even if knew which was the right corner to use) because I'd have to be able to drag and zoom simultaneously in order to see where I'm snapping to. Can one drag and zoom?

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

9 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

I cannot accurately pick the right corner (even if knew which was the right corner to use) because I'd have to be able to drag and zoom simultaneously in order to see where I'm snapping to. Can one drag and zoom?

You don't need too.....zoom in click the dim. line and drag the extension line diamond where you need it.....

image.thumb.png.dbf44fdaaa7d081e516cb8639e56bdbd.png

then zoom out and change length to 10'0"

The 24' Dim at the top is not located correctly either ...surface on the right , middle wall layer on the left...zoom in and check.... except for that one you need to move the Marker as you use point to point dims not a manual dim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Have you tried working with Temp dims only ? I find it easier and you can use any Dim. that shows to move things....

I assume you have "show Wall length while Editing" on?    (try Alt-Q)

I guess you already watched this Video on moving Walls with Dims?

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5429/positioning-walls-precisely-using-dimensions.html?playlist=92

• Like 1