How to do flush base in ca?

dskogg

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

yes budget, and yes time consuming- We got it done pretty quick once. We installed windows and doors, then made a flooring template(piece of laminate with the foam underlayment staple to the bottom) placing our baseboard with a reveal channel reveal.thumb.JPG.106afb30831cdfc975da8314a2aa5962.JPG ... on top of our floor template loosely, then nailing the base in which locked the channel in.

Then spray the reveal and base and do the drywall last.

I posted earlier some drywall reveals.. secret would be put install these at a consistent height everywhere and then drywall just sits on top and there is a mud lip to finish it off.

then when ready flooring would be installed right up to plastic reveal and base installed last.

we do design/build Reno’s and additions so I design, budget, project manage and we do the cabinets as well so full control.

54 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I'm thinking your Drywaller  hates you :)  especially with that chrome strip  it looks like ....

Interesting Idea though...

M

56 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I'm thinking your Drywaller  hates you :)  especially with that chrome strip  it looks like ....

Interesting Idea though...

M

What thickness is the splash then? 

Most quartz and stone only comes in 2cm or 3cm

On 1/20/2019 at 7:41 AM, dskogg said:

does the door reveal work on both sides? 

Did you try it?

On 1/20/2019 at 9:24 AM, Kbird1 said:

haven't tried Michael's S shaped Trim above but NO , as you can only have one side recessed to the framing.

Someone should just try it.  If you draw a piece of molding using the basic shape and orientation I showed, it will actually inset back into the wall.  It has nothing to do with recessing the door or window.  In fact, you could even use the same method for the base trim if you wanted. It would still require a pony wall though in order to automate the groove.

Flush.thumb.jpg.45672feb5402c5bc3f2fa087c36a1c53.jpg

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Thanks for your time Michael... i finally figured it out using your method.

Cheers.

I had to recess to main layer and use a s molding for case..here is what i did to make it work.

recess case to main layer 2.JPG

recess case to main layer.JPG

that only works for one side of the door..I usually avoid using that option- you can do one side only as kbird1 explained but it shows up funny in plan view- I prefer 1/16" casing with a material region for recess- nearly indistinguishable in 3d

1 hour ago, dskogg said:

I had to recess to main layer and use a s molding for case..here is what i did to make it work.

You don't need to recess the door at all.  Like I alluded to earlier, you might need to increase the rough opening dimensions.  Chief will only cut interior wall layers around the door back as far as that rough opening setting, so if your molding profile is 1.25" wide then you'll need to increase the rough opening to 1.25" as well.  Again, you shouldn't actually need to recess the doors or windows at all though.

21 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You don't need to recess the door at all.  Like I alluded to earlier, you might need to increase the rough opening dimensions.  Chief will only cut interior wall layers around the door back as far as that rough opening setting, so if your molding profile is 1.25" wide then you'll need to increase the rough opening to 1.25" as well.  Again, you shouldn't actually need to recess the doors or windows at all though.

Michael, i am not sure how to make it work using your method, i increased ro by 7" and unchecked recessed to wall and this is what happens...perhaps i am doing something wrong?

recess case to main layer 3.JPG

2 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Michael, i am not sure how to make it work using your method, i increased ro by 7" and unchecked recessed to wall and this is what happens...perhaps i am doing something wrong?

recess case to main layer 3.JPG

see if this helps at all...

Flush example.plan

By the way, I'm not necessarily saying this is the best method to use.  Only that it is A method.  One of the most automatic if all you need is quick 3D stuff.

31 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Flush example.plan

By the way, I'm not necessarily saying this is the best method to use.  Only that it is A method.  One of the most automatic if all you need is quick 3D stuff.

I see yours working...i looked at both files and cant see a difference but mine wont cut wall surface? Driving me crazy now.

recess case to main layer -Michaels door.JPG

recess case to main layer -my door.JPG

base plan.plan

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Flush example.plan

It depends a bit on the final look , this Method works if you want the Commercial Style recess with the Door Frame flush to the Drywall surface ,(no casings) and don't mind the reveal all the way to the Floor.

At least it is working in Michael's plan ..... I guess I am looking at the unfixed plan of your's David as the "casing" is out past the drywall...

Pretty sure TrimTex has these drywall reveal trims available...