How to do flush base in ca?

dskogg

That seems like a whole lot of work.

it would take for ever.

there must be an easier way?

4 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

You could use the wall niche tool to create the recessed region in the drywall and then a regular base molding with the offset set to recess the base to be flush with the drywall face.

Here's another thought, just do one wall section, take a camera view straight on and save it as a jpg. take it into a photo editor and crop it to show the baseboard and recess, save that as a texture and then apply it to a standard base board set 1/16" in thickness. Might create the look. Could do the same for the door casing.

19 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

There are plenty of video's on how to configure pony walls in your video help section. Its really easy to setup and you can save it to the library. Also check out the video on material region.

I completely understand how to make a pony wall and use material regions for grooves but pony walls only allow two types of walls.

so the inset about base can not be made with a pony wall can it?

using material regions for that groove is time consuming and they are not easy to line up.

eric it would be great if you elaborated

934714993_Untitled2.thumb.jpg.717ef2551da3535f5fdc6729355d14cc.jpg

This is just a stacked baseboard molding. bottom piece 4 1/8", next piece 1/8", next piece 1/2", final piece 1/8". To the 1/2" piece I used a gradient color/texture, they are in the materials color library. This creates the showdown look that gives the appearance of depth. The two 1/8" pieces are just a bit of a different shade to emphasize the edges. The entire molding is just 1/16" thick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

934714993_Untitled2.thumb.jpg.717ef2551da3535f5fdc6729355d14cc.jpg

This is just a stacked baseboard molding. bottom piece 4 1/8", next piece 1/8", next piece 1/2", final piece 1/8". To the 1/2" piece I used a gradient color/texture, they are in the materials color library. This creates the showdown look that gives the appearance of depth. The two 1/8" pieces are just a bit of a different shade to emphasize the edges. The entire molding is just 1/16" thick.

So 4 different moldings? But then you don’t get true reveal as it wraps around corners.

3 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Not too bad considering it took only a few minutes to create and can be applied globally to every wall in the house.

1065244971_Untitled3.thumb.jpg.b41b15c4bf67c358df18303d0e0afe1b.jpg

Goo hack.. but it kind defeats purpose of having a 3D design program.

what about having a pony wall with lower wall a 1/8” thick 4.5” black layer over studs and then somehow recess a 3/8”x4” base and the difference will be the recess? Maybe this is what Eric did?

5 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Goo hack.. but it kind defeats purpose of having a 3D design program.

Well if you kind of think about it, the screen you are working on is only 2 dimensional so that 3D from a visual perspective is really just a trick.

If you really need the real thing then pony walls are good way to accomplish this, probably less work than using niches to cut through the drywall finish, at least for the baseboard detail.

A Frame Only Pony Wall the same height as the Base + Flooring and a Custom Moulding will achieve this it looks like

If the inset is the Tradition Black (Shadow Detail) you could make the Custom Base as two pieces instead , here It is just one.....

image.thumb.png.087f09b0b104f82addfcb90e8c38ccc9.pngimage.thumb.png.33fb37a1efd76ae2ebfdc1c4121cd4d1.png......... try this moulding...set Pony wall to 6 15/16"                    Shadow Detail Base 6inch.calibz

the Door Trim will be a lot trickier I think.....

can't believe this is making a comeback.....

8 hours ago, builtright3 said:

Good one Eric! I was just now building one for my library for future. Good to have on hand because this is getting more popular in the residential industry. At least for me it is.

How did you achieve this? My base molding disappears when its offset is negative.

Edited by rockyshepheard

48 minutes ago, solver said:

???

ct1.thumb.jpg.f00377ae92133e4e4b181ab4002ef2b8.jpg

If the Pony Wall is Frame Only it's not needed ...it's what I did above.... I guess you just used a 1" thinner wall?   actually I think you used a 0" think black layer over the Framing to make the Shadow..... probably a better Idea than the 2 mouldings I used above....

On 1/19/2019 at 5:48 PM, Kbird1 said:

If the Pony Wall is Frame Only it's not needed ...it's what I did above....

The pony wall just needs to have a reduced or removed interior drywall layer is all.  And P.S.  If you use a casing with a profile kinda like this...

Casing.thumb.jpg.e3da0f4df00a91f1fca26909c25ea820.jpg

along with an appropriate rough opening dimension around the door, you can actually get the automatic recess too.  Adding a custom color in the groove around the door isn't so auto using this method though...

3D.thumb.jpg.c2a474417eae2d78be76ff98ec20327c.jpg

Okay, I'm done with this particular discussion for now.  WAY too easy to spend too much time messing around with and discussing the methods for this type of thing. 

Yep getting the Black shadow detail on the Door Casing is an issue as we can't build up the molding ( ie add a backband) like we can with the Base. A Material Region works but you wouldn't want to do that for Every Door in a House , but for a few Views i guess it wouldn't be Bad, nice thing is the WMR cuts itself out in the Door so you can make one 1/2" taller than the Door with Casing and an 1" wider and you are good to go.... no need for 1/2" strips...

I noticed Earlier that setting the Door to Recessed to Main Layer so casing is flush to drywall only works on the exterior side of the Door/wall

M.