Can't seem to build framing floor joist

charlievictor102

First, I'm a complete NOOB.

I'm using Chief Architect Premier X10.

I'm working my way through the "Premier Quick Start" videos here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/9937/premier-quick-start-part-7-of-9.html

I have the "Framing Dimension Defaults" active dimensions and the "Framing Layer Set" active layer set selected.

I'm at a plan view of the basement floor:

image.thumb.png.9d137001a429bb32cc448ff37c7e0eae.png

I go to the "Build>Framing>Build Framing..." menu and check "Foundation" tab, "Subfloor for Floor 1", "Build Floor Framing" and click OK:

image.thumb.png.00c917ec196fd767fb101a7408fedfa1.png

But the floor joists don't show up in the plan (first screen capture looks the same).

The display options don't show much of anything "Used" on the "Framing" layers:

image.thumb.png.8d114f573679dcc35507181cd5a52f22.png

The "Perspective Framing Overview" looks like this:

image.thumb.png.3b431cf90e8a95a67a9259d890d033bf.png

If I build all of the framing elements (wall, roof, etc.) I think it builds all but the floor joists:

image.thumb.png.0ed993f1283ae7f8bed5944c5cec5aef.png

So now the "Layer Display Options" shows more framing elements generated but no joists:

image.thumb.png.4f2c6e8eaec8d6cb89f87c3ea0332ba9.png

So why is it not generating the joists?

Curt Thompson

Redmond, WA, USA

Nicely presented problem yet I don't think any of your screen shots give any clues.  Could possibly be a room definition problem or any number of other things.

If you could post the plan file you will have an answer from one of the experts in short order I am sure.

52 minutes ago, charlievictor102 said:

So why is it not generating the joists?

Hi Curt and Welcome.....

Without the Plan File to look at my only guess is that perhaps you have the Floor Structure Set up incorrectly or have chosen a Material that is not of the "Framing" Type, in which case it would not generate.

If you want to add the .plan file to the thread , make sure the Plan is closed in CA or it won't attach as CA locks the file while in Use. If it is Under 25mb there is no need to Zip the .Plan File , just drag it into the light grey area of the reply Window.

Mick.

11 hours ago, charlievictor102 said:

Mick,

You are exactly correct.  Alaska_Son helped me out.  The floor structure material was set up as a non-framing material for some reason (OSB).  Changed the default to fir framing and now it builds.

Curt

Thanks for Reporting back Curt , good news it was a simple fix.

Probably worth checking the Template File Used for all New Plans and correct it there if needed.  The OOB Template File is called Residential Template or ResidentialM Template.plan if you are using Metric. You can check in Preferences>General>New Plans for the File actually being used currently too.

Yours will likely be on C:\Drive  ( I moved My Documents to A:\ ) but this is where to check.....

image.thumb.png.74596dffc549a7038e7db9abf0f66a21.png