edit plan view of a 3D object

CElder

My company uses epoxy coated wire shelving in closets as a standard and I created custom 3D objects for the different standard arrangements we have but when I insert them in the plan, the detail is so small it looks messy.  I'd like it to appear as just a long dash CAD line on the plan page but still show properly in 3D views.  Is there an easy way to do that?

That thought crossed my mind as a "cheat" but I was just wondering if there is a more legit way of doing it.  I'm teaching myself how to use this software after cheating my way through AutoCAD for almost 15 years.  Trying to do as much the right way as possible but I suppose the "right way" is whatever way gets my plans drawn, right?

Thanks for the suggestion and for letting me know I'm not the only one who thinks of creative ways to work around a problem!

Casey, I really don't consider this "cheating". It's just a quick way to achieve what you want. If you absolutely want to use a cad block for that symbol, then you could try regenerating a cad block or create a new cad block and assign it to that symbol. The way I mention is just quicker (for me). All the ways I mention could be considered a "right way", just really depends on how much time you want to spend...of course, some may disagree. There's generally more than one way to do something in this program.

There is a proper way to do that as well if you will always use the symbol the same way.  Just add the item to your user library and re-assign the 2D cad block.  You can use the cad block from another simpler symbol or draw your own and cad block it and it will show up in the "Available CAD Block" list on the 2D Block tab of the Symbol DBX.

1 hour ago, CElder said:

That thought crossed my mind as a "cheat" but I was just wondering if there is a more legit way of doing it.  I'm teaching myself how to use this software after cheating my way through AutoCAD for almost 15 years.  Trying to do as much the right way as possible but I suppose the "right way" is whatever way gets my plans drawn, right?

Thanks for the suggestion and for letting me know I'm not the only one who thinks of creative ways to work around a problem!

Have a look into creating Custom CAD Blocks for your Symbols , it works and isn't too hard to do..... ohhhh CS beat me to it..... :)

image.thumb.png.cc8e7495a5a95c21431be4b163d713cf.png

Some CA KB Tutorials on working with CAD Blocks

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?default_tab=support&q=CAD+Blocks

M.

Hi Casey,

I have personally used molding lines (along with custom moldings and molding symbols), and architectural blocks for this type of thing where most all the necessary parts and pieces are distributed automatically when the molding lines are resized and they display like we want in plan view as well...

Shelving.thumb.jpg.0e1e730107ee527424e492a293f56d8f.jpgPlan.thumb.jpg.3fb297b964821bf7e04dd74c599b541e.jpg

It's not something I'm going to spend the time or energy to spell out here on the forum, and it wouldn't be free, but shoot me an email if you want to discuss further and we can set something up.

Here's a quick tip for your specific question on the house though:

Symbol...

1750697465_Pic1.thumb.jpg.4729972f25f0e80a56eafda4f719da7a.jpg

Molding Polyline (no molding assigned)...

1286263747_Pic2.thumb.jpg.09a4c50a0f8eb094bb57af39fbe6de95.jpg

Architectural Block with shelving layer turned off and both block and molding layers turned on)...

1614533817_Pic3.thumb.png.20ab771e98f4594355f0fb67dabc1e42.png470558833_Pic4.thumb.jpg.018489556ca4f97b99ad562acbfa75b2.jpg

One object to keep track of and only one line displayed.