Send to Back?

expodesigngroup

There is a "Send to Back" tool. 

When you select almost any object, you should find a tool called "View Draw Order Edit Tools" on the edit toolbar.  If you select this tool, the program will then change the edit toolbar to a set of tools that allow you more control the draw order.  Send to Back, Send Backward, Select Drawing Group, Bring Forward, and Bring to Front should all be available.  If you look at the status bar, there is a description of what each tool does.  There is additional information in the help system that you can get to by hitting F1 when you hover the mouse over any of the tools.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

My best guess is that you are working in an elevation view and the "filled rectangle" you are using is just a 2D cad object.  If so, then changing the draw order won't work.  The electrical object is part of the 3D model and it's draw order is controlled by the 3D geometry.  The 2D cad can only be drawn in front of or behind the entire 3D model and not mixed in the middle of it.

What you probably want to do is make the "filled rectangle" part of the 3D model.  The easiest way to do this is to make it a custom backsplash that sits on the wall.  The electrical object should automatically sit on top of the backsplash but if it doesn't you can always move it out using Jerry's method above.  If you want the tile to cover the entire wall, then you could also make it part of the wall definition.

Many thanks for replying, but no dice, the filled rectangle either covers the outlet (even at 1" off the wall), or disappears behind the wall tile layer.

I think my problem lies in trying to use draw order on an object (the outlet) vs a CAD entity (the filled rectangle).

Guess I'll have to break the wall and create a new wall with the accent tile.

Thanks Jerry

Snag_1e3dd4ff.png

Snag_1e3dfb82.png

So Dermot, your good idea worked, except that the width of the decorative tile needs to be narrower than the cabinet below, which I didn't think about that until I tried the backsplash.

But I talked to a friend who had me convert the filled rectangle into a polyline solid, and that does show up behind the outlet, and in front of the wall tile, and I can control the width.

Thanks for your help!

Snag_1e745870.thumb.png.6479b0a03802b86d91943abd563914b2.png

Here is some more info that might might find helpful:

- a custom backsplash can be any shape you like.  If you click to place, it will normally fill the exposed wall area.  If you drag a marquee to place, it can be drawn just like a normal polyline.  In either case, you can modify the shape just like any other polyline object.

- you can convert a polyline into a Material Region that is very close to the same thing as a custom backsplash.

- you can control the thickness of a custom backsplash by changing the Material Layers in the specification dialog.  You can also control whether or not it sits on top of the drywall or cuts into it.  This will allow you to create more accurate cross sections and materials lists.

- An electrical object should automatically sit on top of a custom backsplash but it won't sit on top of a polyline solid.  You will normally have to move your electrical object away from the wall by thickness of your polyline solid.

• Like 1

All very intriguing suggestions., especially the first one. Seems like there is always a way to skin the cat, if you know how.

Ill take the time to go through them.

This Forum is terrific.

John

27 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Here is some more info that might might find helpful:

- a custom backsplash can be any shape you like.  If you click to place, it will normally fill the exposed wall area.  If you drag a marquee to place, it can be drawn just like a normal polyline.  In either case, you can modify the shape just like any other polyline object.

- you can convert a polyline into a Material Region that is very close to the same thing as a custom backsplash.

- you can control the thickness of a custom backsplash by changing the Material Layers in the specification dialog.  You can also control whether or not it sits on top of the drywall or cuts into it.  This will allow you to create more accurate cross sections and materials lists.

- An electrical object should automatically sit on top of a custom backsplash but it won't sit on top of a polyline solid.  You will normally have to move your electrical object away from the wall by thickness of your polyline solid.