MN_JohnH

I am wondering if there is a simple way of aligning the custom tile in a custom backplash? In the attached drawing I have created two custom tiles for this hypothetical shower. The big tile is 24x24 and I would like to have it go 5' up on the wall and then have a 12" deco strip of 2x2 tile and then more of the larger tile above that to the ceiling. Problem is I want a full tile on the top of the 5' high lower part, (the half cut would be on the bottom), and then start with a full tile on top of the deco strip. And my deco strip is 2x2 tile, I made it as a 12x12 square of 2x2 tile and yet it doesn't line up as full tile on the top and bottom edges...

Tile alignment.plan

Thanks. Here is everything in the folder with the entire backed up plan. I figured it has something to do with the offset and angle as you are pointing out but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to where those offsets are based. If they are both set at zero then i would think my 2x2 tiles would line up full at the top and bottom. And if this is the only way to adjust it then I would have to create new materials for every layout application. Seems like there would be an easier way.

Thanks,

Asphalt Roofing Black 2016.jpg

Asphalt Roofing Normal 2016.png

Birch1r(30).jpg

Black-Granite(20).jpg

Blacktop1(96).jpg

BrushedMetalBump_CAAB.jpg

Bumpy(charcoal).jpg

CA Sand Finish Stucco NORMAL 2017.png

Carpet-B4(30).jpg

Chiefwrap.jpg

Concrete(72).jpg

Douglas Fir.jpg

Glass-Block(32).jpg

Grass7.jpg

Grey-blocks(32).JPG

HardwoodAO.png

HardwoodNORMAL.png

HardwoodROUGHNESS.png

Hickory1r(30).jpg

LapSiding_normal_CAAB.png

Limestone[ivory](10)-2016.jpg

limestone-rough-edges-AO-CA.png

limestone-rough-edges-normal.png

limestone-rough-edges-roughness-CA.png

MapleHardwoodNatural.jpg

Mulch(pine).jpg

New Material_1.jpg

New Material_2.jpg

OSB-Hrz(96).jpg

Paris5(20).jpg

Red1(96).jpg

Red5(48).jpg

StoneVeneer.jpg

subway-tile-ao.png

subway-tile-normal.png

subway-tile-roughness.png

SubwayTileWhite.jpg

Swirls(grey).jpg

Swirls01CA.jpg

Tile alignment.plan

Treated Lumber.jpg

White(54).jpg

Next time please Backup Entire Plan and save as a zip:

zippedplan.thumb.PNG.1f6e5c6337ba132c799ebb132027b8af.PNG

You can achieve your goal very easily:

1. Create a copy of your 24x24 material and assign it to the top backsplash, then adjust the X/Y values as needed:

tileupper.thumb.PNG.41b22ef0dade7178dce626977bb584fd.PNG

2. Adjust the deco strip using the Y Position offset:

decooffset.thumb.PNG.5650141ebdfe554ab72c235ed4fa5ca7.PNG

You get:

result.thumb.PNG.55fa1618acfcdc6e02270413973e269b.PNG

• Upvote 1

Thanks. So I guess the answer is yes I do need to create a different material for each layout application and then tweak the values till they come out right. I guess it's not as hard as I thought to do all that. It's still puzzling that my first try was using 24x24 tile and I had an area 5' high and the values set at 0 or 12, I would think it would come out and a full tile on top or bottom and a half cut on the opposite I had to change the value to 13 to get it to eliminate that 1" cut at the top.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, MN_JohnH said:

Thanks. So I guess the answer is yes I do need to create a different material for each layout application and then tweak the values till they come out right. I guess it's not as hard as I thought to do all that. It's still puzzling that my first try was using 24x24 tile and I had an area 5' high and the values set at 0 or 12, I would think it would come out and a full tile on top or bottom and a half cut on the opposite I had to change the value to 13 to get it to eliminate that 1" cut at the top.

You may find it faster to use material regions and the multiple copy tool to make individual tile, this can be made to look very realistic as well...did this back in 2013 using that method:

cavs3.thumb.jpg.6955d823712c66bb492cf83d93b3ebb7.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2019 at 7:24 AM, MN_JohnH said:

The Layout of the Tile is done in Respect to the 0,0 point on the Coordinate grid, not from where-ever you place the tile, that is why you need different materials.....( same material-renamed) so you can set different Origins (otherwise they would all follow the change).

I usually use Wall Material Regions these days for do this sort of thing.

I think you can delete all the textures you posted above to cleanup the thread....

M.

• Upvote 1

This may help, it's my way of visualizing how textures work. When you apply a texture it's not actually contained with the boundaries of the surface you applied it to. The texture is applied like a layer to the entire plan and the boundary of the surface you applied it to is like a window that allows you to see that specific portion of the texture layer. As Mick mentions the texture layer is based on the 0,0 origin, when you change the texture x,y offsets it shifts the texture on it's layer relative to the 0,0 origin, it is not shifting the texture according to the boundaries of the applied surface, it just looks as if it is. As such, if you use the same texture on another surface then it's window is just allowing you to see the same texture layer but at a different location within that texture layer. This is why if one wishes the texture to have a different position on two different surfaces then you must make a copy to create a separate texture layer and then apply this to the other surface and manipulate it.

• Upvote 1