How to make whit band for contrast

rockyshepheard

All the (whatever you call them) structures with lettering on them are symbols. Made them that way so I could move them around in all three axes for placement.

My issue is that the color behind them is the same as the (whatever you call them) structures such that the arch is not visible.

Can anyone suggest a method of putting a white band around the arch so it stands out? Preferably done in CA.

Thank you!

PCPS FINAL ADD STUCCO BAND.plan

37 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Likely a 3D molding Polyline would work if you want to define the bottom of the arch so that it stands out from the background.

Something like this ?

3D Molding Polyline.jpg

I assume that is how you created the image? Did you sketch the line over the edge of the surface of the object at its location?

Yes essentially a polyline sketched over the symbol in elevation view and then converted to a 3D Molding Polyline.

Just trying to figure out your extents issue.  Do you remember what you were working on before that warning came up ?

10 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes essentially a polyline sketched over the symbol in elevation view and then converted to a 3D Molding Polyline.

Just trying to figure out your extents issue.  Do you remember what you were working on before that warning came up ?

Would you please breakdown the method? I searched for a video on 3D molding polylines and they are working in plan mode. My arc edge is not accessible in plan mode, only 3D mode.
https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/407/drawing-columns-using-molding-polylines-and-3d-solids.html

11 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Likely a 3D molding Polyline would work if you want to define the bottom of the arch so that it stands out from the background.

Something like this ?

3D Molding Polyline.jpg

Rocky, did anyone explain to you how to make the arched part of the band smoother by reducing the line segments of the arch?

Would you not INCREASE the segments to make it smoother? That's what you do in 3DSMAX.

I am so confused on the 3D molding polyline thing.

A web page I read says you can add a line in 3D view but it also says In need to make a cross section then redraw the shape even before I add the line.

I'd love to see someone add it in a video to see exactly how it is achieved. In fact, it might be a great video given there are not many on this topic that apply to adding a molding to 'an existing symbol'. 

47 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Would you not INCREASE the segments to make it smoother? That's what you do in 3DSMAX.

Yes, but do you know how to do it in Chief?

When you draw a line in an elevation and want to convert it to a molding, I believe the only option you have is to convert it to a 3D molding. Not looking at the program right now. When drawing a line in plan view, you have the option of deciding which kind of molding you want it to be (plain or 3D). Things will edit differently depending on the view it was drawn in. I personally don't like to use 3D molding poly lines unless I have to.

35 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Yes, but do you know how to do it in Chief?

When you draw a line in an elevation and want to convert it to a molding, I believe the only option you have is to convert it to a 3D molding. Not looking at the program right now. When drawing a line in plan view, you have the option of deciding which kind of molding you want it to be (plain or 3D). Things will edit differently depending on the view it was drawn in. I personally don't like to use 3D molding poly lines unless I have to.

Chopsaw managed it somehow but it sounds like one of those things that takes about 20 steps and I have been unable to draw the first 3D polyline. 

The software should just let you draw on any 3D object in 3D view.

Made some progress.

1. In 2D make a cross section that is perpendicular to the object face you wish to add to.

2. Use the drawing tool to create a path for a section (you will pick in the step 5).

3. Right click on the polyline and select "convert polyline".

4. Select "3D molding polyline".

5. Select a molding from the library and click ok.

1 minute ago, rockyshepheard said:

The 3D molding polyline does not show up inn the 3D view.

If you mean it doesn't show up in "plan view", then you're wrong, it's just hard to see because of the default color. Change the color to red or something in the layer display and it will be easier to find in plan view (just zoom in closer). In plan view though, you'll find that the standard molding poly line shows much better than a 3D molding poly line drawn in an elevation. They display differently in plan view.

You'll need to do some trial and error to learn how things work. Something else to know. If you draw a line in the elevation and convert to a molding, the molding will be attached to whatever surface you started the line. Same as a poly line solid (in an elevation).

19 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Made some progress.

1. In 2D make a cross section that is perpendicular to the object face you wish to add to.

2. Use the drawing tool to create a path for a section (you will pick in the step 5).

3. Right click on the polyline and select "convert polyline".

5. Select a molding from the library and click ok.

Sounds like you have it now.  Thanks for helping out Tommy.

My illustration was not as smooth as it could be because I just matched the arch of the symbol which likely did not really need to be a symbol and could be smoother with just a psolid.

Did you manage to figure out why that "Event Hall" sign symbol was so corrupted ?  I worked on it for a while but gave up.

• Like 1

Yes. Thanks to you and Tommy. 

The only thing I'm missing is how to increase the number of segments so it looks like a smooth arch.

If I open the object can I modify it after the fact or must I start from scratch?

I could not understand what you meant re the dimension for the events text. Why would a dimension that is small cause that error?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

The only thing I'm missing is how to increase the number of segments so it looks like a smooth arch.

If I open the object can I modify it after the fact or must I start from scratch?

Yes you can select it in you elevation view an use the Break Line tool to add more sections and adjust them to fit.

Or just start over and use and arc.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

I could not understand what you meant re the dimension for the events text. Why would a dimension that is small cause that error?

It seems to have something to do with the 2D Block being absolutely huge. Take note of the Y coordinate in the bottom right of my screen shot.  It did not work yesterday for me but I was able to isolate the symbol into a new plan file and recreate it for a fix.  Let me know if you have any issues doing that as I can post the fixed version for you if you like.

3 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

I tried redoing it as an arc as opposed to a line (and convert to arc tool). I can't get it to be more than 4 segments.

Yes I just noticed that myself.  Convert back to plain polyline, then convert curve to polyline, and adjust "Number of Sides".  Then back to 3D Molding Polyline.    Same idea when creating the arch symbol from psolid that could have remained as psoilid.

Here's how to make a 3D Molding Polyline object.

3. Right click on the polyline and select "convert CURVE TO polyline".

4. Adjust number of sections.

5. Double click on polyline.

5. Select a molding section from the library and click ok.

6. You won't see it in the cross section but you will in the 3D. (Note...it may be hidden behind another object so you'll have to adjust the y variable to get it in correct location.

• Upvote 1

Rocky - It seems to me that your overall approach, though valid, is preventing you from taking full advantage of the predefined tools in CA and is resulting in unnecessary complexity and plans that do not conform to practical construction techniques. I understand that your focus is primarily on the visual but this should not detract you from designing within the context of how CA was designed to work. For example, to create the arched front entrance you went through the process of building an arched section, converted it to a symbol and then manually positioned it. This however could have been accomplished by inserting a door into the wall and using the Arch function, now your arched opening can be full controlled, should changes need to be made you can simply open up the DBX and adjust it's sizing and arch. This would have taken maybe 15 seconds to accomplish versus the likely hours it took to do it the other way.

Concerning the 3D molding polyline. Why not use it to start with versus a standard polyline and then having to go through the conversion process? You should take the time to explore the tools, yes some take a bit time to understand but once realized you will see the benefit many times over. Here is an example of what can be done with the 3D modeling polyline tool. Other than the base walls, floors and cars just about every other element was created using the 3D modeling polyline tool, this includes the kiosks, railings, trusses, sprinklers, ducting and column wraps.

484904681_CityViewMotor_1a.thumb.jpg.0946617ee4407b145d4b6c60192fda82.jpg

Try to understand how CA was designed to function and take advantage of that. It's why you paid $2,700.00, otherwise you could have saved all of this money and just used the free version of SketchUp.

• Like 1