I cannot sketch this in CA for some reason

rockyshepheard

Could some one please sketch this for me in CA and send me the plan file?

I am befuddled. I have 5 years of ProEngineer usage under my belt but I can't seem to do this in CA.

The values keep changing. on me. 

I recall when dimensioning walls, you have to select the value you want to move then change the dimension but I don't think that applies to lines.

I may finish the manual in a few months but I can't find the section on drawing shapes and not having values change. 

Thanks to anyone who is up for the challenge.

canto do.jpg

Your drawing does not have enough info to make an accurate model.  You will need some horizontal dimensions or angles otherwise people will get very different results.

As far as how to do this in Chief, there are a lot of different ways.  You might want to play around with the Input Line and Input Point tool.  These tools will allow you to input a line very accurately by specifying coordinates or lengths and angles.  Also, you can select any line in a polyline and open the specification dialog to get more accurate controls.  You should see the Selected Line or Selected Arc panel which should allow you to specify start points, end points, lengths, and/or angles.  It also has the ability to lock some parts and only change others.  Most of this information is covered in our training videos and reference manual.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Could some one please sketch this for me in CA and send me the plan file?

I am befuddled. I have 5 years of ProEngineer usage under my belt but I can't seem to do this in CA.

The values keep changing. on me. 

I recall when dimensioning walls, you have to select the value you want to move then change the dimension but I don't think that applies to lines.

I may finish the manual in a few months but I can't find the section on drawing shapes and not having values change. 

Thanks to anyone who is up for the challenge.

canto do.jpg

SHAPE.jpg

7 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

I will try that. Most of the time I cannot select the dimension. I have the line highlighted and then click on the dimension. Nothing happens. Sometimes I get lucky and am allowed to change the dimension. Much more difficult then when dimensioning walls.

Rocky, if you select the line and then hit the dimension string and nothing happens, that generally means that the dimension string is not going to the line you selected. If you select the line and move your cursor over a dimension string, then you'll see a little hand telling you that the dimension string is associated with that line or object (in general).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Rocky, if you select the line and then hit the dimension string and nothing happens, that generally means that the dimension string is not going to the line you selected. If you select the line and move your cursor over a dimension string, then you'll see a little hand telling you that the dimension string is associated with that line or object (in general).

Tommy, I create a new plan. Draw a single line. Dimension the line using snaps. Then select the line...no hand when I hover over the dimension. I would think snap would make sure I had dimensioned to the only thing in the drawing. But no. So bizarre.

29 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Tommy, I create a new plan. Draw a single line. Dimension the line using snaps. Then select the line...no hand when I hover over the dimension. I would think snap would make sure I had dimensioned to the only thing in the drawing. But no. So bizarre.

youll be doing yourself a huge favor by learning to use the end to end dimension tool..here is the plan:

rocky shape.plan

3 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

I find all the Time that whether you get to use the Dimension is often dependant on the Zoom Level.....usually zooming in (mouse wheel) lets me open the Dimension Number DBX........if that doesn't work you have the wrong one is my guess or the Object can't be resized with Dims.

If you use manual or Automatics Dims you won't get temporary dims so YMMV depending on what you are trying to do.

M.

1 hour ago, rockyshepheard said:

Tommy, I create a new plan. Draw a single line. Dimension the line using snaps. Then select the line...no hand when I hover over the dimension.

Rocky,

This is standard behaviour.

You can't change the length of a line by selecting the dimension.

But...you can change the length of a wall by selecting it's dimension.

15 hours ago, glennw said:

Rocky,

So what you are saying is the only to lengthen or shorten a line is to use to handles? Interesting.  I assume your statement does not apply to objects like circles, rectangles, etc...even though these are made up of nothing but lines?

15 hours ago, glennw said:

Rocky,

Maybe a good one for a suggestions request. Logic would dictate that we should be able to do that. Is there an easy way to turn this reply into a new Suggestion Request?

-thanks,

Brad

11 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

So what you are saying is the only to lengthen or shorten a line is to use to handles? Interesting.  I assume your statement does not apply to objects like circles, rectangles, etc...even though these are made up of nothing but lines?

You can use the start & end handles to drag the polyline or open up the polylines DBX and directly enter the exact length you desire. This DBX provides full control over all aspects of the polyline. Might not seem as intuitive as being able to just click the displayed dimension but it accomplishes the same action.

Personally for the object you are attempting to create I would have started with a Polyline Solid versus individual lines. You can dimension polyline solids and then click on them to make certain dimensional changes.

5 minutes ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Chief won't dimension to 32's. Your dimensions would need to be 5'-0 15/32" which Chief doesn't do. We've been asking for an EQ (Equal) dimension override for years.

I don't see any /32s on the drawing. But beside that my question is why are both the two angles exactly the same. There is no reason for them to be different.

Another thing that would help when doing this type of drawing is to go to defaults, select plan, and set the snap grid/snap units to the accuracy you desire, say 1/32". Now when you drag and move items they will snap according to this increment, will help to eliminate drawing/moving lines to some ridiculous fraction. You should then set your dimension defaults to display the same accuracy as the grid snap, If not you could be tricked up by rounding.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Another thing that would help when doing this type of drawing is to go to defaults, select plan, and set the snap grid/snap units to the accuracy you desire, say 1/32". Now when you drag and move items they will snap according to this increment, will help to eliminate drawing/moving lines to some ridiculous fraction. You should then set your dimension defaults to display the same accuracy as the grid snap, If not you could be tricked up by rounding.

Nice on the 32's correction. My example still pointed out why he was getting 7/16" on the left slope and 1/2" on the right. 

But did not realize we could change Chief to go to 32's-thanks-bB