Import Archicad PLN Files into Chief Architect

MCADNZ

Hello to All,

We currently have a client that supplies conceptual designs to us in archicad PLN file formats, is there any way we can convert or import these files into chief without going the DWG route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Cheers

No, there isn't. You will need to ask for DWGs.

EDIT: I've used both Chief and ArchiCAD for about 20 years each, and go back and forth between the two all the time. It's kind of sad to give someone correct information and get downvoted for it. Reminds me of Jack Nicholson: "You can't handle the truth!" 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

• 2 years later...
42 minutes ago, mkwajungozi said:

Hello to all,

I have a question.

When i used Arxhichad, it was so much easier to shift between scales. Now im using chief archichad, i find it difficult to shoft from feets to metres. How do i change this scale ?

You are going to have to be a little more distinct with your query to obtain useful answers and understanding for yourself from others. The "Scale" of what and where, doing what please?

DJP

3 hours ago, mkwajungozi said:

i find it difficult to shift from feet to metres. How do i change this scale ?

You can't in a plan that is already drawn ( you could display both if needed with the secondary format.)

to Start a Metric Plan , Start by Opening the Plan from Template > and open ResidentalM.plan  file      ( the M on the end of names indicates Metric templates. )

3 minutes ago, mkwajungozi said:

As a starter, how do i draw a plan in metres?

12 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

to Start a Metric Plan , Start by Opening the Plan from Template > and open ResidentalM.plan  file      ( the M on the end of names indicates Metric templates. )

15 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

You are going to have to be a little more distinct with your query to obtain useful answers and understanding for yourself from others. The "Scale" of what and where, doing what please?

DJP

I installed chief architect a while ago, i dont feel comfortable drawing a house plan using feet as a scale for both internal and external dimensions. So my question is, how do i change these scales from to metres in chief architect since a new plan opens with feet dimensional scale

3 minutes ago, mkwajungozi said:

So my question is, how do i change these scales from to metres in chief architect since a new plan opens with feet dimensional scale

Go to  File> New Plan from Template.   You can set this as your default in Preferences> General> New Plans.

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2019 at 5:31 PM, MCADNZ said:

Hello to All,

We currently have a client that supplies conceptual designs to us in archicad PLN file formats, is there any way we can convert or import these files into chief without going the DWG route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Cheers

2021-08-25_13-06-51.png

.skp files are as useful as any to use for getting ArchiCAD 3D content into Chief Architect programs.  And for the 2d content both programs have some sort of .dwg Translators which could be configured to work pretty well together.  ArchiCAD can import a .pdf and explode it into lines, polylines, hatch, text.... and if the .pdf was generated with AutoCAD or ArchiCAD, layers, layer combos, and some other content is also available that way too.  I have very little experience with Cheif Architect but what I have seen of it and the Home Designer program, I am not impressed too much.  But I do like the user interface the Home Designer has.  It seems pretty easy to use.