Dormer holes

cburkit

Just adding basic dormers. Left with open triangles. I already tried to have the polygon create a shaft through but that only made it worse. What’s the best way to get a smooth transition from the roof pitch into the former walls? 

454D34A6-2F40-4934-922A-D0A04995F46E.jpeg

2152B4E0-9707-425C-BE07-006022F5D784.jpeg

00237513-8358-4BBA-BC61-6A94DC6A1DE7.jpeg

I tried that already. That lands the wall on the floor and cuts it off at the roof. I want the wall to fill only the triangle so that it’s flush to the vaulted ceiling finish. I’ve also tried to adjust the dormer itself

If you are having issues , it is always best to post the.plan file if you can ( make sure not open in Chief 1st) , also it is best to use the Snipping Tool in Accessories or some other Screen Capture program so the Pics are clearer.....Phone pics never seem to look good ...but I think the camera lens may need a clean too in this case.

This is not uncommon with steep pitched Roofs in particular ....... sometime the Wall Polyline will do it other times not....

1 hour ago, solver said:

Be careful when drawing roof planes, and walls to get them square. This roof is out just a bit.

ct1.thumb.jpg.105a7d36613d941115eae42ccf702c63.jpg

And here is your plan.

newHOUSE4 (eric).zip

That’s because I had to do it by hand. For some reason “join roof” is not working like it should unless I’m missing something. I even tried building 4 walls and get the same error message that they cannot be joined. I’ve been using this particular software less than a month, so I’ve still got some bugs to work out. Thanks for your help. 

7 minutes ago, cburkit said:

For some reason “join roof” is not working like it should unless I’m missing something.

The thing new users typical miss is that you have to select the edge that you want to join to another edge.  Next click Join Roof Planes, and lastly, pick the edge that you want to join to

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

On a simple Roof like this one it really shouldn't be needed at all, this is easy for and Auto Roof Build , and you could also use Auto Floating Dormers too.....

M.

sorry. I am old school. This is how I designed the house. Cad is only for clients and subs. I do everything by hand first. When using software, I still prefer to learn the hard method first. Using automated methods makes it too easy to miss details... in my opinion

IMG_0008.JPG

2 hours ago, cburkit said:

sorry. I am old school. This is how I designed the house. Cad is only for clients and subs. I do everything by hand first. When using software, I still prefer to learn the hard method first. Using automated methods makes it too easy to miss details... in my opinion

IMG_0008.JPG

Nothing wrong with Learning Manual Roof Planes or even Manual Dormers , all good to know as it will be required at some point , but with a straight Gable Roof Auto is a Time saver, I still let Auto do it's thing 1st and then make changes as/if needed. Auto Dormers aren't good in all situations but they usually work fair well at eliminating the Issues you saw.

M.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:35 PM, cburkit said:

Just adding basic dormers. Left with open triangles. I already tried to have the polygon create a shaft through but that only made it worse. What’s the best way to get a smooth transition from the roof pitch into the former walls? 

454D34A6-2F40-4934-922A-D0A04995F46E.jpeg

2152B4E0-9707-425C-BE07-006022F5D784.jpeg

00237513-8358-4BBA-BC61-6A94DC6A1DE7.jpeg

Take a look at my video on How to build Manual Dormers.  Hope it helps...

• Upvote 2