line weight changes on layer set not apparent on layout page

chrismarsho

Hello everyone

I'm new  to this site and x10 , I need some help with line weights on my plan. I'm able to control most of the line weights in the plan with the exception of a kitchen cabinet floor plan on my  layout sheet  increased to 3/4" = 1'-0" scale with KBNA annotations .I'm wondering where to to control these weights or is the problem  due to the increased scale of 3/4" from 1/4"  . I'm  using a print house and pdf files to transfer the  plans  . Also ray traced images seam to be lighter than the files I'm sending out .I have tried printing in B+W to solve this issue .Sending another test print to printer  today. Not finding much info on the internet with these issues,  Any positive advice or resources would be greatly appreciated . 

Thanks Chris  

11 hours ago, solver said:

What does GBI have to do with your question?

What is GBI ? :)   I only looked to see what GBI was :)

What you see at Print and at Raytrace on screen can easily be 2 different things especially if your Monitor is not Colour Calibrated.

Don't forget to try PBR View too for much quicker Rendering Times...

M.

1 hour ago, solver said:

Please try for descriptive titles. What does GBI have to do with your question?

+1  Chris, you might want to edit the thread title to something relevant, it may help others in the future with a similar question.

Line weights: probably the line weight settings in your layer sets but we would just be guessing without looking at your plan and layout. If you post them someone can track it down.

With regards to ray tracing, it's all trial and error. You'll have to play around with the settings until you get the results you're after. It's a steep learning curve with no real easy road to expertise. But if you're only dealing with faded color it's probably faster and simpler to post-adjust in Photoshop or similar program.

Finally found the problem, I think  . Early on in the plan and 24x36 layout pages,  I was using my 11x17 printer and had set the advanced line weight setting to 1/400 ,in the drawing sheet setup to work with the scale to fit option on my smaller printer ( I was getting huge lines ) . Saved the printer setting and went about my business.  I have returned the setting to 1/100 ,I believe that was the original number .Seems to have fixed the problem and layout line weights look good, Will only know after another test page ( have my finger crossed ) .

Hope this helps somebody with an obscure printing issue. 

22 minutes ago, chrismarsho said:

Finally found the problem, I think  . Early on in the plan and 24x36 layout pages,  I was using my 11x17 printer and had set the advanced line weight setting to 1/400 ,in the drawing sheet setup to work with the scale to fit option on my smaller printer ( I was getting huge lines ) . Saved the printer setting and went about my business.  I have returned the setting to 1/100 ,I believe that was the original number .Seems to have fixed the problem and layout line weights look good, Will only know after another test page ( have my finger crossed ) .

Hope this helps somebody with an obscure printing issue. 

Thanks for posting back with the possible fix......

M.

14 hours ago, chrismarsho said:

Finally found the problem, I think  . Early on in the plan and 24x36 layout pages,  I was using my 11x17 printer and had set the advanced line weight setting to 1/400 ,in the drawing sheet setup to work with the scale to fit option on my smaller printer ( I was getting huge lines ) .

This easily can happen when your advanced line weights are set with an incorrect unit. Earlier version line weights were set with scaling set to 1/600 INCH. Then it was changed to 1/100 MILLIMETER, but with heavier line weights  assigned to the layers, to match industry standards. This really should not be printer-specific.

Picked up the latest set of test plan pages ,Turns out that the advanced line weight setting was the culprit,  only issues left are line weights on my elevations ,but hadn't  attempted to  change those just yet .   They seem just a little light for my taste . Imported pics not to bad, don't know if i'm up to tweaking those just yet. Going to keep skulking around this forum looking for relevant post.

Thanks again for past advice