Exterior trim features

AnthonyBuilders

Have been trying to figure out what I did with no success here, so reaching out for answers. I am trying to do a shop for my own personal house and having issues with the trim. I increase the fascia trim and now have a gap between boards. How do I remedy this? Also fascia goes length of covered area on left side but not right? And there is missing area on wall of gable near trim? What is causing this? I know it all has to be simple things but I can not find an article or video to help.

Thanks!

shop issues.pdf

17 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

2 problems jump out...

1.  You have soffits set to be 6" thick.  This may or may not be correct.

2.  You have gable sub fascia that is the exact same height as the gable fascia.  The subfascia should prolee be smaller than the fascia.

see 1&2 above...plus.....

1.a)  you don't need the Flat under eave setting either ....soffit is likely 3/4" thick..

2.a)  Sub fascia is nearly always 1 size smaller that the Fascia otherwise you can get gaps  ie if fascia is 2x12 subfascia will be 2x10 (or 2x8) to allow room for the soffit material.

b.) Eave fascia is often one size smaller than the Gable fascia, not sure of your design here though

3.) Shadow-boards are generally only used on the Gable ends ( otherwise they can interfere with the Gutter on the Eave.)

4.) Personally I use 1 1/2" Fascia on all builds as it warps etc less in the Weather in my experience.

5.) the workshop walls are setup incorrectly , you have an 8" ICF wall sitting on a Framed Brick clad wall......no idea what is correct though...

this maybe the issue with the frieze not building correctly? the ICF wall also has siding on it which you painted with Stucco , always best to Make a new Wall type by copying the closed one in the DBX than Painting exterior Walls.  ( *** just found you do have an ICF-Stone Wall and it works fine below the ICF Wall)

6.) you may have found a bug in that it appears the Frieze dose not want to build over.across the Concrete layer of the ICF wall Type...if I change the Walls to 8" CMU or Concrete the Frieze builds properly. A quick play with the Wall intersection tool didn't help but YMMV.

7.) Not sure why you have given your whole (back)yard a Room definition but it has a monolithic Slab under it ( maybe cause by the fence/wall definition you are using....)

There is a number of weird goings on , I had a bit of a play , file is below for you to play with more...

Mick.

image.thumb.png.81606ab5ea336b5216af0ba69c450d9e.png       image.thumb.png.ff37bbfdc54a5fb213e9b31e6ce5c70f.png      image.thumb.png.a7786bf42670c735c49fd3989aca8829.png

Workshop_Help_MHD.plan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...