Finding extrude button

rockyshepheard

Spent a full day yesterday trying to find a software to create simple shapes and extrude them 3DSMAX can't seem to do it due to it's massive variety of line types and inability to close shapes. Other softwares, the same. Finally came back to CA and found I could draw in it easily but now I cannot find the extrude button. Looks like third base with a normal arrow popping out of the top.

Thanks for help finding.

28 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Hi Tommy, I'm confused. 

I started with lines. Not solids. 

I had to draw some straight lines connected with an arc. To get a solid they had to be converted.

Do you mean start with a box and boolean it with a cylinder?

You can edit a Polyline Solid's edge, with the same Tools as you used with the lines...eg convert to Arc....try it , then open it and set the height (depth/thickness) and elevation.

PS you can still use Free Sketchup or Even Sketchup WEB now for free too.

M.

5 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Is the manual available in book form?

PDF is Free , so is the Tutorial Guide I suggested the other Day ...both off the Help Menu Icon

but you can also Order hard copies if you want them....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/documentation.html

Terry Munson also has his Book or PDF available on his website called Chief apprentice....

https://chiefapprentice.com/

I know you are doing this more for "fun" than anything but having the fundamentals down will only let you enjoy it more..... and I can tell from your questions you have jumped  to lesson 300 , so to speak , without doing the 1st 100.....  CA is a deep , deep program and alot of people never use all the features , and even those of us with a few years in are still learning all the time....it's why the Forum is so helpful.

53 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You really need to start using the Ref.Manual Rocky .....and/or hit F1 all the time........ otherwise you are just driving your own frustration level higher and higher....... 

image.thumb.png.45d5bc65efbcc29df4e9a10e35623961.png

Hey...look at me...I finally figured out what the quot button was for. Re the book. Yes, it's time I bit th bullet and began reading the manual. I am ready even though I have a bad metallic taste in my mouth with the $2750 CA price tag. I'm hoping I can at least recoup that much. :)

Chief is the last program you want to use without proper practice BEFORE you start doing real work... The thing with Chief is first time you use it is seems VERY easy.. Not..! It can be though..

1. Read Manual (the whole thing)

2. go through Tutorials (from start to end).

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-current-tutorial-guide.pdf

After paying that much what is 2 weeks of nothing but training..? 

PS.. Sorry I see Kbird already suggested all of this..

• Like 1

Rocky, here's something else to confuse you but you can also create objects by using solids and the solid subtraction tool to make all kinds of stuff. The program is capable of creating all sorts of things. These items subtracted don't go all the way through the main object. You should also check into making holes that go all the way through objects such as slabs, polyline solids, etc..

Solid subtraction.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

I heard that but It just expired and said I have buy it.

should of quoted here too as I'm not sure what you are referring too....

you don't have to quote a whole post you can select a few lines of text and you should see a popup with quote selection come up....I sometimes have to right click the selection to get the popup though.

Mick.

Draw a Face (Build>Primitive>Face).

Select it and the Extrude button will appear on the Edit toolbar (along with Revolve Object).

These a very powerful 3D tools.

You can also Extrude faces that have been Exploded from an object like a Solid.

• Upvote 1