Trimming hatch/fill around objects

andymcg

Good morning, 

I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to trim a fill style around an object? I created a polyline and filled with shingles for the exterior wall, but it's covering up the windows and I can't seem to figure out how to remove it. Pic attached. 

Thanks in advance!

Capture.JPG

You could just create a hole in the polyline but in my opinion, you are doing it the hard way.  Stop thinking in terms of how you used to draw this in CAD and try to think about what you are trying to model.  If you change the model, it will look correct in all views, and even more important, it will stay correct if you need to move or resize one of those windows later.

Try changing the wall surface material instead or applying a 2D fill style.  Or even better, use a different wall type that already has the shingles built in.  Or, if you really want a special area then I would use a wall material region instead.

Thanks for the responses. I originally had it as a siding wall when I sent it to the Cad Detail, but then decided to change it to shingles. I didn't want to have to re-send it and lose the CAD work I had already done. I guess the hole in the poly-line is the best way to go from here? I should add: I don't know how to create a hole in the polyline? I rarely use CAD on Chief because I find it to be awful.