Keeping Stair Sections From Merging Into A Single Section

EconBlueprints

I am trying to create a winder stair.
The cheif training video tells me to create three separate stair sections.  I can create the first, but when I create the second, it joins up with the first and makes a single stair section.
How do you draw three separate sections that are connected so you can turn the center section into a winder?

Thanks,

Lane

you can set the default in Preferences>Architectural  to treat them singularly/independently or not ....

not sure if that is the issue or not .....

but normally draw one set , draw the 2nd set at right angles to it then click in the corner between the two to get the Auto landing...

M.

these may help.....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/394/creating-winder-stairs.html?playlist=89

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/393/building-u-shaped-winder-stairs.html?playlist=89

"I can create the first, but when I create the second, it joins up with the first and makes a single stair section."

Don't panic.  It probably only looks like a single stair section but you do actually have two separate stair "sub-sections".   Stair sub-sections are like different line segments in a polyline.  If you select either one, you should see the extra edit handles along the center line indicating that you have multiple sub-sections.  Also, you should see that the sub-sections are labeled 1-1 and 1-2 and you should see both sub-sections when you open the stair dialog. 

5 hours ago, Dermot said:

"I can create the first, but when I create the second, it joins up with the first and makes a single stair section."

Don't panic.  It probably only looks like a single stair section but you do actually have two separate stair "sub-sections".   Stair sub-sections are like different line segments in a polyline.  If you select either one, you should see the extra edit handles along the center line indicating that you have multiple sub-sections.  Also, you should see that the sub-sections are labeled 1-1 and 1-2 and you should see both sub-sections when you open the stair dialog. 

I have never understood, though, why different subsection LOOK like they should be able to have separate widths, but for some reason the widths are locked together as the same width. (Unless you put in an intervening landing.)

12 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I have never understood, though, why different subsection LOOK like they should be able to have separate widths, but for some reason the widths are locked together as the same width. (Unless you put in an intervening landing.)

That's one of those little areas where CA is a little too smart  for it's (our) own good, it automatically makes two subsections the same width if they are connected, we would need the ability in the DBX to lock the Width of subsections to get around it.

M.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Might sound like a newbie question here, but any of yuze guys know of a way to force Chief to break stairs back apart once they've been connected? 

Not sure if I understand the question?  just moving the (sub) section will break it.....

By the way, to answer the OP's question...

If you want to temporarily keep the section disconnected, you can toggle Connect CAD Segments OFF and then when you're ready, toggle that setting back on, and click on the end edit handle of one of your stair sections a couple times. 

26 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Hmmm...I'm intrigued by your response.  I only know of one very tricky/convoluted way, and the way you've just described isn't it.

I think your question is likely deeper than I thought initially , that's why I didn't think I understood it 100%, or the exact situation, as it sounded too simple , especially for you not to figure it out...

thinking about it more now I am guessing you mean 2 or 3 sections connected in a straight line , though I can not think of a time I'd do that if it was a straight run ( well 1 situation actually) normally it would be a single run , but once they join in a straight line it isn't easy to break them again , which is another of those small little areas where CA is a little too smart  for it's (our) own good as I mentioned above, ie CA "thinks" it should all be one flight even though you may not want that....

CA does some crazy stuff to stay connected no matter what :)

image.thumb.png.283c057856eb0ccc354bf46a18884c87.png image.thumb.png.6a334219fb3e84bf5aa03bc40c510256.png

34 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This only applies to stairs connected to landings, NOT stairs connected to other stairs.

Don't think I knew that but then I don't normally connect Stairs to Stairs..... and can't think of too many occasions when I would....

M.

Here's a quick challenge.  I have a set of stairs drawn in this plan.  Assume they took forever to get properly positioned and sized but that you want to disconnect the upper section so that you can do something a little differently...

1604819172_Stairpic.thumb.jpg.4ffc38db0991a393a1beddb360b099c0.jpg

Stair test.plan

What's the quickest (if any) method you can find to simply disconnect the one section.  The fastest method I know of requires no less than 16 clicks to start with the section you see on the left and arrive at the result you see on the right. 

7 minutes ago, solver said:

I very rarely work with stairs, and very, very rarely do curved ones (had to look up how to curve a straight stair), so I'd just trace what's there. Stairs snap easily to others.

ct1.thumb.jpg.09eaa2cd9070df47b39f38fb55b1e833.jpg

Ya, that works, but for me it's actually even slower than my 16 click process even though it CAN take less clicks.  And it actually only takes less clicks if your stairs don't require opening up and changing settings again afterward (which is one of the main reason to want to save and re-use your work).  

Seems like it should be a lot easier.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I will go ahead and assume you always use landings for your winders. 

I try not to do winders at all if possible since the inner edge has to be a minimum 6" wide by Code, and like Eric curved stairs are something I never see , and I didn't realise that was what you were referring to earlier, normally I just redraw them if needed.

If I don't want them to join I normally merge the top tread of one and the bottom tread of the next so the treads overlap in 3D then they don't snap together.

M.

36 minutes ago, uhlerandcompany said:

How do you do a straight set that has open railing at the bottom on one side for say 5 treads and then it is closed between two walls at the top?

there are multiple threads on this exact situation , but the best way is to overlap two staircases by one riser/tread so they don't join together.....(one upto the wall , one between the walls)

ie set the bottom height of the second set to the same height as the second to last tread of the 1st set ( top height minus one Riser Height)

M.