nVisionTEKBIM

Different Label Text Sizes?

Is it possible in Chief to have different text styles for labels? It only seems to be one style. 

I'm only practicing now, but what I'm trying to do in my framing plan is have 3/32" label text size for beams, and 1/16" for other items where it fits best. I prefer labels over text so it can be more consistent and update if changed.

One per layer if not RichText. Placing label on the different layer <new layer>... new style. 

I don't fully understand. In this screenshot, you can see I'd like to try a 3/32" text size for this beam label. I don't want to change the label size of all labels, but rather have multiple label text sizes to choose from.

Chief Beam Label.PNG

Sorry, Beams will always use "Framing, Labels" layer and placed on the "Framing, General" layer.

Same with joists. So "Framing, Labels" text defaults will apply.

You can suppress a label and create another, use rich text etc  

Using the text style in the layer DBX, you can make any kind of label size or font that you want.

5 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Using the text style in the layer DBX, you can make any kind of label size or font that you want.

You can change the Label text Style but that changes ALL Framing Labels , and the OP want's different sizes for different Framing Members,

and the Framing Labels layer seems to be hard-coded to Framing , so you can make a Framing Labels Layer- Large for eg but can't assign it.

and a reminder to those without Signatures to add them pls.....

24 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You can change the Label text Style but that changes ALL Framing Labels , and the OP want's different sizes for different Framing Members,

and the Framing Labels layer seems to be hard-coded to Framing , so you can make a Framing Labels Layer- Large for eg but can't assign it.

and a reminder to those without Signatures to add them pls.....

You can create different text styles for different labels if you use different layers for different beams and joists. I use several different layers to do it. With each different layer you can create a different text style to show the label.

31 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

You can create different text styles for different labels if you use different layers for different beams and joists. I use several different layers to do it. With each different layer you can create a different text style to show the label.

Hmmmmm , I must be doing something wrong then.....cos for eg if I put Roof Beams on a new Layer called Roof Beams - Large Label and make a new Text Style to match (by copying the Default Label Style) and just increasing the Text size it still uses the Framing Labels Layer for the Label, not the new Large Labels Text Style.

You sure you aren't using one of Joe's Macros?   ( this is the other way I was going to suggest trying )

M.

4 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Hmmmmm , I must be doing something wrong then.....cos for eg if I put Roof Beams on a new Layer called Roof Beams - Large Label and make a new Text Style to match (by copying the Default Label Style) and just increasing the Text size it still uses the Framing Labels Layer for the Label, not the new Large Labels Text Style.

You sure you aren't using one of Joe's Macros?   ( this is the other way I was going to suggest trying )

M.

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone.

I have the same conclusion as you. Chief lets me create different label type styles, but you can't change the label text style of beams without changing all label styles. Unless I'm still missing something? I am using the label of the beam and they don't have an option for changing the label text format/type. The object styles shows the label text style being used, but if I change that it changes all of them. Can't seem to add a new layer to a particular beam.

Also, how do you add a signature? I don't find anything about that in the settings.

7 minutes ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

Also, how do you add a signature? I don't find anything about that in the settings.

You must have them off and can't see mine ...... see the blue text below....

Mick

CA X10

Win10 Pro on (3) 32" BenQ BL3200PT Monitors 

Desktop - Custom Built with Asus X99A-II MB, 5820k CPU, 32GB RAM and EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FTW2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** to fill in your Signature like this .... go up to the top RH Corner above and click on your UserName> Account Settings> Signature.... and enable Signature (will Turn Green) then add your Hardware Details and Chief Software Version, as different Version require different Answers.

***To add Pics to your Posts please use Windows Snipping Tool , found under Windows Accessories in your Start Menu, Save the Snip to your Desktop and Drag it into the Light Grey Area of the Reply Window.

Thx ????    :)           I see it now.....I guess we'll both have to wait and see for P. to enlighten us  on his method....

@DRAWZILLA

Not the ideal solution, but the best way is to just use a referenced context text macro. 

23 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not the ideal solution, but the best way is to just use a referenced context text macro. 

Thanks Alaskan_Son. I'm not sure I'm ready yet with Chief to get into custom macros. Still trying to learn the basics. On page 610 of about 1,000 of Terry Munson's book for x10.

When it comes to labels, I prefer to use them as often as possible over normal text. That way things update accurately if changed during the project. So I really look forward to getting in-depth with macros. I've see a few really nice ones posted in other posts. Cool stuff.

17 minutes ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

Thanks Alaskan_Son. I'm not sure I'm ready yet with Chief to get into custom macros. Still trying to learn the basics. On page 610 of about 1,000 of Terry Munson's book for x10.

When it comes to labels, I prefer to use them as often as possible over normal text. That way things update accurately if changed during the project. So I really look forward to getting in-depth with macros. I've see a few really nice ones posted in other posts. Cool stuff.

Hi Dustin,

if you use a Text Leader line to any Object and insert the basic built in Marco from the M>menu >Object Specific  called %objectproperties% you will get a list in the Text Box that will show all basic built in macros that can be used with that object when enclosed with %.....% each end. ( these are basic text macros, update the macro and all instances in plan update....I know P. uses this method ...or did at one point.)

M.

25 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Hi Dustin,

if you use a Text Leader line to any Object and insert the basic built in Marco from the M>menu >Object Specific  called %objectproperties% you will get a list in the Text Box that will show all basic built in macros that can be used with that object when enclosed with %.....% each end. ( these are basic text macros, update the macro and all instances in plan update....I know P. uses this method ...or did at one point.)

M.

That works. Thanks!