Creating Tiles

stager386

Hi everyone. Hoping you can lend some advice. I have trouble creating tiles.  For example, I want to create 12x24 tiles in Carrera marble. But I can't create one properly proportioned tile, in that specific material, and have it lay out seamlessly on the the floor.  If I choose the material marble, it will paint the whole floor in one piece.  If I choose a tile grid, the proportions are set, like 10x10.  And when do I play around with height/length/thickness vs. scale?  Thanks.

I may be incorrect in my methods but I always copy a library item tile and paste it into the user library where you can right click on it, open it and re size, change material etc . I generally  prefer to create my own materials by creating an image of say 4 tiles with grout on left and bottom in Photo shop, or paint or similar, you can import this as a user library item and set the size, pattern etc

8.jpg

2 hours ago, stager386 said:

For example, I want to create 12x24 tiles in Carrera marble.

There is a 12 x 24 carrara in the Cactus catalog-Tile-Lithoverde Bianco Carrara

477599715_12x24carrara.thumb.png.6ef9eb148f7ab0b7720bfd4e30b45949.png

I too often just make tiles textures, usually with psolids in Chief, then to a photo program.

3 hours ago, stager386 said:

Hi everyone. Hoping you can lend some advice. I have trouble creating tiles.  For example, I want to create 12x24 tiles in Carrera marble. But I can't create one properly proportioned tile, in that specific material, and have it lay out seamlessly on the the floor.  If I choose the material marble, it will paint the whole floor in one piece.  If I choose a tile grid, the proportions are set, like 10x10.  And when do I play around with height/length/thickness vs. scale?  Thanks.

The easiest method as Phil and Mark mentioned is to find a Tile in the Library of the desired size and then change the Texture to the desired Carrera Marble, this can be hard as you need a nice image of the tile you want to use eg from the Manufacturer's Website .

The DalTile Library has a number of 12x24 Tiles too eg in the Kimono Silk or Pietra Jura or EC1 Folders.

There is a Short CA Video on making Custom Tile which might give you some more insight too :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10145/creating-custom-tile-materials.html

9 hours ago, stager386 said:

Hi everyone. Hoping you can lend some advice. I have trouble creating tiles.  For example, I want to create 12x24 tiles in Carrera marble

I had a play around with a couple of textures I found online , the single tiles cause too many Repeats for my liking, so I made them into 4'x6' samples too rotating the image to break the repeat. If you have Photoshop skills you can likely do better, I just used Paint to do these, but should give you the idea..... they will be in a Folder called Marble once imported to your User Library.

M.

MHD_Tile_Carrera Marble.calibz