Outdoor Covered Patio, Post to Beam with Pony Wall, Post Alignment

CheifTexan

I can't seem to figure out how to render this correctly. 

Simple 4 post patio cover, Wall is Post to Beam, with Pony Wall.

The Post is rendered sitting on top of the Pony Wall, which is not the way it should or would be built.

If I delete the Pony wall, the Post goes to the floor.

How do you make it render/build it like it would be built, where the post carries the load, and the wall is built off the post?

Not with the post on top of the pony wall?

Ideas?

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 8.00.03 PM.png

Edited by CheifTexan
Added details to title

Make it a Railing Wall with a panel railing.  Not really sure what the panel should look like but you can make it what ever you like.  

Post the plan and a picture of what it should look like and someone will help you out.

Also helpful to know what version you are using.

43 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Make it a Railing Wall with a panel railing.  Not really sure what the panel should look like but you can make it what ever you like.  

Post the plan and a picture of what it should look like and someone will help you out.

Also helpful to know what version you are using.

X10.

I'd love to post a picture but I can't seem to make it build it "like you would in the real world".

Meaning, you wouldn't set a 6x6 post on top of a 2x4 wall, you would run the post to the floor, and attach the wall to the post. 

I could easily "fake it" with a poly line solid (which I do for customer renders) but for a build document that you can measure the center of the post, and provide an elevation of the wall, "faking it" does not work.

It is a Railing, based on 4" interior wall, with 6" posts on 200" center (to force them to the end of the wall), the pony wall is a 4" interior as well. 

I could screen capture all that, and just spam more image on the board, which seems to be the norm, but I don't see that will tell more than the above.

Solver: I added a signature, any other useful information would be appreciated.

Edited by CheifTexan
fat finger

I tried Railing Panel (no pony wall) and it does in fact render it correctly, but I don't see how I can force it to build a 2x4 stud wall as the "panel".

Under Wall Type, Railing/Fence, I have deleted the Interior and Exterior Layers, and left the Main Layer (fir stud 16"... width of 3.5").

It just renders a solid panel.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.19.16 PM.png

1 minute ago, CheifTexan said:

I tried Railing Panel (no pony wall) and it does in fact render it correctly, but I don't see how I can force it to build a 2x4 stud wall as the "panel".

No not a framed wall unless you absolutely need to show that.  Is it actually going to be finished like your original posting but with the corner posts to the floor ?

It will be framed like the original, except post to the floor.

Why would someone every build a studpack for a 6x6 post to sit on top of?

It's an outdoor Kitchen, the post will be exposed above the counter tops. If the post were not exposed, you still wouldn't put a post on top of the studwall in this case.

My point there, CA seems to not have a clue how to build that.

The "Railing with Panel" works visualy, but:

• You can't open a wall detail (to show the framing)
  • Elevation does not show the wall studs

It seems I cant create it correctly, then display the build makeup of the wall correctly with a stud wall with it being a railing.

3 minutes ago, solver said:

Chief does't really want to do what you want -- you would think it would be simple.

Here is something to experiment with.

These are all normal Chief walls. Place 4 walls with an open railing that will provide the corner posts and create the room definition. 

Add 2 room divider walls shown dashed below at each corner.

Add in the railing half walls -- draw outside the structure, set as No Room Def, then move into place and snap to the corner. They should snap the the Room Dividers.

Holy wow, that is complicated, but I see how you are forcing it to work.

Ok Glenn's way you will need to create a cad overlay for the posts in plan view.  My way you would need a cad overlay for the walls and wall framing.  I think Eric's method will give the best result even though it will take a little more setup.  Framing should also not require any editing with Eric's method, maybe.

Glenn's way seems to work fine , though there are a few quirks for example , the Framing builds thru the Corners in plan view even though they should be 6X6s ( okay in 3D) and the Posts will center on the Wall and that may not be desired in this case. ie you likely want the Walls flush to the inside so the posts don't stick out at the interior Corners.  It does let you spec a 2x Wall Cap though which maybe desired eg for a Bar Top.

image.thumb.png.08481aea58d95351e84a2255723143d5.png

Other way would be to Use the Framing Tools and Place the 4 Posts and Beams

image.thumb.png.a9db66f4bad6e00c5ceae4ba79d5eb3d.png

and then add the Sheathed one side Walls, build the Roof Auto (if not on), turn Roof Auto Build off, drag the walls down in elevation to the desired height and frame them.

I also needed to uncheck "Roof over this Room" in the Room DBX so it framed the walls to the new height . You would need to do your own wall cap this way with a molding line or p-solids.

image.thumb.png.2e4321149abd49a05833304bd16ea7f3.png

M.

STD Railing way

Pavilion Plan 1_MHD.plan

Post and Frame Way

Pavilion Plan 2_MHD.plan

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Glenn's way seems to work fine , though there are a few quirks for example , the Framing builds thru the Corners in plan view even though they should be 6X6s ( okay in 3D) and the Posts will center on the Wall and that may not be desired in this case. ie you likely want the Walls flush to the inside so the posts don't stick out at the interior Corners.

That is easily fixed by using an Offset for the Newel/post.

8 hours ago, glennw said:

That is easily fixed by using an Offset for the Newel/post.

I almost made a note last night to say you'd know how to fix it :)   however I should have thought of that too but hardly every use that option actually.

M.

13 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Glenn's way seems to work fine , though there are a few quirks for example , the Framing builds thru the Corners in plan view even though they should be 6X6s ( okay in 3D) and the Posts will center on the Wall and that may not be desired in this case. ie you likely want the Walls flush to the inside so the posts don't stick out at the interior Corners.  It does let you spec a 2x Wall Cap though which maybe desired eg for a Bar Top.

image.thumb.png.08481aea58d95351e84a2255723143d5.png

Other way would be to Use the Framing Tools and Place the 4 Posts and Beams

image.thumb.png.a9db66f4bad6e00c5ceae4ba79d5eb3d.png

and then add the Sheathed one side Walls, build the Roof Auto (if not on), turn Roof Auto Build off, drag the walls down in elevation to the desired height and frame them.

I also needed to uncheck "Roof over this Room" in the Room DBX so it framed the walls to the new height . You would need to do your own wall cap this way with a molding line or p-solids.

image.thumb.png.2e4321149abd49a05833304bd16ea7f3.png

M.

STD Railing way

Pavilion Plan 1_MHD.plan

Post and Frame Way

Pavilion Plan 2_MHD.plan

Thanks Glenn and Mick. 

I think what I am going to do is save it as a cad object so I have it I can just drop in, then bump the size, and build the roof.

24 minutes ago, CheifTexan said:

Thanks Glenn and Mick. 

I think what I am going to do is save it as a cad object so I have it I can just drop in, then bump the size, and build the roof.

You could copy and paste one of mine into your Plan , depending on the Object Type I am not sure if everything will be "blockable" in the 3D model.

Glenn's (or the STD) way will most likely work better I think if you want to resize and then  rebuild Roofs

M.