How to change deck railing style along the same edge

RianLeBlanc

Hello all.

I'm new to Chief Architect and a custom deck builder by trade. I'm using this software to design for client presentation and also submission of building plans for permit approval.

I've searched for the answer to my question but can't seem to find it, hopefully one of you can assist...

I'm trying to learn how to create a deck that uses a split railing style along the same edge. For example, as part of my current project I have a 24' long outer  deck edge; 12' of it will use a solid 6' tall privacy wall style railing and the remaining 12' a standard black aluminum picket style railing. How do I 'split' the same edge so as to allow me to use two different railing/wall types?

13 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

All railings in CA are Walls , so use the Wall break tool and change one immediately so it doesn't join back to the other....eg set the newel height to 72" for part of it.

image.thumb.png.7415ea9a8187fdcc9ef3225d4073e6ef.png

7 minutes ago, RianLeBlanc said:

Ah,thanks all!! I knew there was a simple solution.

Cheers

Kbird and solver have this right.

CA can be finicky at times with railings. You may make a change and all of a sudden the railings all go wonky. Sometimes it is worth the time and effort to turn your railing into a symbol when you've got it placed correctly.

I've even made custom stacked railings into panels and added them to my library. If you are mainly doing custom decks it may be worth your time

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RianLeBlanc said:

Cheers

Forgot to mention , you may want to check the box for "no half post at wall " too  so you don't get double Post where you don't want them....

image.thumb.png.19f7803b023dc3b7b92bddba8f251807.pngimage.thumb.png.c4a002586ad3306a4a867da4295c23e4.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RianLeBlanc said:

Cheers

Did a quick video...the guys have already answered faster than I could make this video...but maybe it'll help someone.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1