Change wall materials

Mrducks

I am an intermediate user and have just upgraded to X10.  I have most everything working, however when I want to change a wall type from horizontal lap to board and batton there are no options to change it.  I open the wall type, copy and create a new one, and when I open the pattern or texture fields, select materials box opens but nothing seems activated.  I can open the plan materials, but I seem to be unable to change the existing.

Any help out there?

I will try to attach a plan.  it is the first plan I tried two years ago and I will pull it up now and then and try new things.  so I don't screw up a real plan.  I am trying to crate a new wall type with board and batton for the basement level.

5 minutes ago, Mrducks said:

OK so I don't know how to copy a file in here.  tried it two ways.. WTH?

Make sure the plan is not open in Chief ( it locks it) and drag the file into the light gray area of the reply window...

Edit: I also posted a Board and Batten Library for others in the Symbols and Content Forum if you want real 3D B&B

Yes.  I copied Siding 4 to make a vertical siding wall, but I don't know how to change the siding.  I was able to do this on X9 but with the upgrade, I am not sure if I did not download some library or something.  still don't know what a signature is.  done see anything in blue...

Just now, Mrducks said:

Yes.  I copied Siding 4 to make a vertical siding wall, but I don't know how to change the siding.  I was able to do this on X9 but with the upgrade, I am not sure if I did not download some library or something.  still don't know what a signature is.  done see anything in blue...

Ahhh you don't have signatures enabled then.....

*** to fill in your Signature like this .... go up to the top RH Corner above and click on your UserName> Account Settings> Signature.... and enable Signature (will Turn Green) then add your Hardware Details and Chief Software Version, as different Version require different Answers.

***To add Pics to your Posts please use Windows Snipping Tool , found under Windows Accessories in your Start Menu, Save the Snip to your Desktop and Drag it into the Light Grey Area of the Reply Window.

4 minutes ago, Mrducks said:

Yes.  I copied Siding 4 to make a vertical siding wall, but I don't know how to change the siding.

The walls do not change for me automatically after applying the gray B&B from the Library to them either for some reason , so I deleted them, change the default exterior wall to Siding4-Vertical, and redrew them them and it works.... ( might be a Plan brought forward issue I am not sure?)

When you upgraded did you Install the Core Content on the Library menu? if not you may not have the B&B n the X10 Library Under Materials>Siding

image.thumb.png.eae92341b70a81f9395df3dcbb358650.png

It looks like you have used material painter at some point to change the ext. material.  This is not the preferred way to do it.  Open the wall DBX, click on materials-exterior wall surface, select material.  Then click on "use default".  Your wall will then show the new wall type properly.

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Just noticed that your foundation walls are not aligning to the 1st floor either ..... so you may have other wall definition issues too

image.thumb.png.3c772cc240626387864b10959121648f.png

this was literally the first attempt at drawing with this software when I got Chief.  this is my house, so it is basically a learning ground.  I have progressed from this plan quite a bit, but thanks.  You should see the screened porch I put on the back recently.  OOPS, that sounded like an invitation for people to see how loose my drawings are still. :-)

Thanks again.  I am working on building up my catalogues and I will see if that helps.

2 minutes ago, javatom said:

It looks like you have used material painter at some point to change the ext. material.  This is not the preferred way to do it.  Open the wall DBX, click on materials-exterior wall surface, select material.  Then click on "use default".  Your wall will then show the new wall type properly.

Have to agree NEVER paint exterior Walls , just noticed your Foundation wall is a 8" conc. wall but appears to be the same Siding 4 ........ so try making a 8" concrete wall with a Siding layer instead if that is what you need or use Ponywalls for the Siding part.

M.

Thanks everyone!  I began this plan to show my wife some concepts with what would do with the porches and some basic interior work.  It was never intended for prime time. LOL

painting the wall exteriors, building a concrete wall around the base of my front porch were all just to show cosmetically what it would look like to her.  Thank you all for the feedback.  I will certainly use this forum more in the future.  I have tons of questions.

2 minutes ago, Mrducks said:

Thanks again.  I am working on building up my catalogues and I will see if that helps.

The Core Content is critical to all Chief built in Materials except some very basics which come with the Original Download.

No worries we all start somewhere...... get the X10 Tutorial Guide ( see Help Menu) and work your way through it , when you have time , it is a pretty good Walkthrough for the basics.

1 minute ago, Mrducks said:

I will certainly use this forum more in the future.  I have tons of questions

then make sure to do your Sig. as in particular the Version of Chief in use is important to many questions....

your name is always nice too ....