Graphic for conc. cutout at door

AvoyeDesign

I'd like there to be an automatic graphic where a door above creates a cutout in a concrete wall.  More often than not, this is just a step down in the concrete, but the default treatment by Chief is to make it appear that the concrete wall ends on either side of the door.  The attached images will demonstrate how I put a cross box over it to indicate a step down.  

Floor 1.jpg

Foundation.jpg

• Upvote 2

Also, on a related note, when a door opening creates a step down in the foundation wall, the floor slab should continue through the door opening to the outside face of the concrete.  Just a couple of standard details that I have to edit manually for every plan.

Section.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 1/2/2019 at 5:21 PM, KervinHomeDesign said:

I'd like there to be an automatic graphic where a door above creates a cutout in a concrete wall.  More often than not, this is just a step down in the concrete, but the default treatment by Chief is to make it appear that the concrete wall ends on either side of the door.  The attached images will demonstrate how I put a cross box over it to indicate a step down.  

Floor 1.jpg

Foundation.jpg

Not a fan of the crossbox, but completely agree with the premise of your suggestion.  The wall shouldn’t disappear entirely like it does.  Rather confusing actually...especially considering some builders actually DO leave that section of wall out on purpose.  I’m thinking the best solution would be to just give us an optional fill for cutouts.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

Also, on a related note, when a door opening creates a step down in the foundation wall, the floor slab should continue through the door opening to the outside face of the concrete.  Just a couple of standard details that I have to edit manually for every plan.

Section.jpg

Totally agree with this one.  In fact I’ve taken to just drawing my garage slabs manually in some cases so that this details correctly for the various views.

14 hours ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

Section.jpg

Can't remember who it was, maybe DS Hall, but came up with a solution a while back where you set the garage to a typical room and then check unconditioned. Set you floor and stem wall heights etc and then set your walls to have a concrete pony wall. There is an option buried somewhere to have the exterior surface of the upper wall extend down past the lower wall when aligning on main layer outside, which completes the look. This way the slab continues through and you have a curb

Hi Rod , it has been suggested to me that you need to move this thread to the Suggestions Forum otherwise the CA Team will NEVER look at it.....(and Also make a Formal Submission to Tech Support for a feature Update with Plan.)

This and the Sloped Slab are two things Chief needs to address for garages specifically......

*** I think showing dotted lines , similar to how the footing shows to indicate a wall under the slab would work fine.

image.thumb.png.79a991d2e3db0aa314713068bb9c3844.png

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Hi Rod , it has been suggested to me that you need to move this thread to the Suggestions Forum otherwise the CA Team will NEVER look at it.....(and Also make a Formal Submission to Tech Support for a feature Update with Plan.)

This and the Sloped Slab are two things Chief needs to address for garages specifically......

*** I think showing dotted lines , similar to how the footing shows to indicate a wall under the slab would work fine.

image.thumb.png.79a991d2e3db0aa314713068bb9c3844.png

I had thought i had posted in suggestions...

But I've been sick all week and barely know what day it is, so who knows what I did.

19 minutes ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

I had thought i had posted in suggestions...

I sent a Report of your 1st Post asking they move it , perhaps if you do too they will ?

I am not sure how to ask for a move of Post/thread otherwise ?

9 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Can't remember who it was, maybe DS Hall, but came up with a solution a while back where you set the garage to a typical room and then check unconditioned. Set you floor and stem wall heights etc and then set your walls to have a concrete pony wall. There is an option buried somewhere to have the exterior surface of the upper wall extend down past the lower wall when aligning on main layer outside, which completes the look. This way the slab continues through and you have a curb

I do not think it was I.  

9 hours ago, joey_martin said:

I prefer the dashed. "hidden" line, as that method is pretty standard. And while I agree that it should be automated, I would put this down the list of items that I would want priority given to.

Screenshot 2019-01-03 14.27.51.png

The problem I have with this is Chief added the concrete cutout a few releases back on the request of users.  Before then, I was drawing something over the wall anyway, and now I am still doing it.  So the feature really is meaningless becasue Chief didn't take the time to figure out how it should really look.  So i guess this isn't really a feature request as much as it is a "this wasn't done right and needs to be fixed."  Which is why I feel it should be higher priority i guess.