Roof Trouble...

Rosco2017

I can't believe I'm being stumped over this roof. I have to have elevations for the client by tomorrow and I can't even put this roof together. Attached is what they want the front elevation and rear to look like. (Hand drawn by my builder...He's Amish..nuff said. LOL) Every time I draw it up, It doesn't fit together right. Does someone else wanna give it a whack? Please let me know. My boss was thinking a 6/12 pitch, however that probably wont work. I'm pulling my hair out here and this couple wants their house built yesterday! Ugh!

post-58-0-90542400-1410210450_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-05432800-1410210467_thumb.jpg

Hawthorne Park Estates Lot 67.zip

Ross, 

A couple of questions (see attached)

1) in the sketches, the front view shows the garage side wall as being a gable roof/wall, the back view looks like a hip?...

2) in the front view, the two 'towers' in the front, are these roofs expected to be lower than the main roof? If so, they can't be much lower with the windows on the right..

post-177-0-47899100-1410213440_thumb.png

post-177-0-98151500-1410213450_thumb.png

The garage is supposed to be a hip. No gable. I have no Idea why he drew it that way. You can make the middle bedroom's (the one between the towers) ceiling 10' to get that effect, of you could drop the front bedrooms (towers) to 8'. They do want the funky roofs in the back. The want vaulted hearth and breakfast nooks.

I'm taking a swing at it, as well....

A few observations:

1)  There may be quite a few window/roof conflicts on the second story.

2)  The roof over the closet on the right side is lower in the hand-drawn front view, will this be an 8' ceiling in the closet instead of a 9'?

3)  The higher eave between the towers can be achieved with a taller truss heel in that area (assuming you are building with trusses).

Feel free to adjust the roof pitch on the back of the house to clear windows. We can play with ceiling heights in the closet to get the look, whatever you feel would work better. I was going to lower it to 8'. I know this sounds horrible, but i have no idea what he is doing with the roof framing system. My boss is Amish and they do everything they can by hand. So if it's to much for a team of 6-8 to handle, they won't do it. Thank you guys!

Steve, go for it!

I too was seeing a lot of window conflicts. 

I don't see how the hip/gable combination in the back is even physically possible.

Attached is the front view.  Notice the jumble of hips in the roof, certainly not the clean hip in the sketch (the benefit of sketches, they can violate physics).

I can send the plan that I have modified if you want. I will also check on Steve's version - maybe it is all finished!

post-177-0-80593200-1410216750_thumb.png

Steve, pretty tricky on the back area - hadn't thought to add an 'additional room'   :) .

Your roof area over the main bedroom is also much cleaner. I modified too many of the room heights, should have changed just the main bedroom, or just the front towers, I modified both.

Ross, go with Steve's version, much neater.

Ross,  are you using automatic roofs?  I was using manual, I like the freedom manual roofs allow...I don't have much luck with auto-roofs on complicated roofs.

Here's another version - I played with roof pitches to try to accommodate the existing second story windows.  It may change look of the elevation too much, though.

The rear bedroom still has a window conflict, not sure there's much you can do with the roof there.  May need to play with window sizes and configurations to get a window arrangement that works, and still meets egress code.

Where the front-left tower meets the Study, it creates an alcove in the upper level wall.  Not a huge deal, as a cricket roof can be built in that corner.  Another option would be to add a beam that spans the width of the Study (front to back on the plan) and create a plant shelf above the french doors leading to the Study.  The upper story roof and wall would bear on the added beam...I hope that makes sense.

Hawthorne Park Estates Lot 67 - from Steve - Revised Roof Pitches.zip